Debunking No Rarity Japanese Base

so much speculation… ahhh…

T.T

“seeing only ‘reflections’ of reality… not reality itself. The main thing wrong with a reflection is not that it isn’t real, but that it’s reversed. I wonder…Whereas a photograph can compensate for the lack of bilateral hemispheric parity; it’s not the object but it’s not reversed, so that objection would make photographic images not images at all but the true form. Reverse of a reverse.”

Updated the OP to include which no rarity cards contain errors, only 4: Venusaur, Raichu, Charizard and Gastly I wasn’t able to check all the non holos if they had height/weight errors but I did compare all the pokedex numbers and only Venu and Raichu were different.

Raichu and Charizard seem to be more like an oversight as they are relatively similar to the corrected versions, Venusaur on the other hand seems a mile off and I haven’t come across any info why they originally had the pokedex at 068 instead of 003.

Gastly has different hiragana: changes from みちずれ to みちづれ. The second version seems to be the more common phrase or spelling.

Hey everyone!

I didn’t see it mention anywhere in the article so I would like to share… There are variants within the No Rarities on the Trainer Cards, so another layer for collectors, as can be seen in these two photos of a potion card:

As you can see the image is slightly different, however the main difference is the text. The cards that are shown with these subtle differences are:

• Potion
  • Gust of Wind
  • Energy Retrieval
  • Pokemon Trader
  • Switch

These cards were released in the Quick Starter Gift Set (I believe the one showed on the first post, though I am not sure). The source of these informations can be found in these Japanese Website and in this one, on the section that says Misleading cards (1st website) and before the chart (2nd website). I would like also to know what the chart says, but its an imagen and google translate can’t help on that.

Cheers!

2 Likes

It’s been discussed before. Here’s images I’ve taken where the left is the Base Set No Rarity versions and the right is the Quickstarter versions.

4 Likes

@cullers I didn’t know it was mentioned before… I was very excited to have found this xD I am glad that efour is on the edge of the spear when it comes to the no rarities truth :grin:

2 Likes

Yep those cards come from the 1998 Quick Starter Gift Set, essentially the timeline for those trainers would be no rarity → rarity → quick starter reprint

1 Like

Hi im new to no rarity and this fourm, but i was wondering if short packs are actually confirmed not to have no rarity symbol base set cards inside them, then is there no other option to identify where these cards came from? And is it confirmed these are the 1st edition japanese base set cards?

@cherpyy there isn’t any guarantee that short packs have no rarity cards, there’s no guarantee that any japanese sealed product will have no rarity cards simply because the cards weren’t exclusive to any one sealed product. It’s not confirmed that they’re 1st edition, but they’re 1st editions.

2 Likes

I’ve recently started collecting the no rarity holos. It is by far the most fun I’ve had collecting a set. I think because of the sheer randomness in searching for them such as trying to navigate through Japanese websites. Also I think part of it is because I definitely prefer the Japanese card design with the Japanese text that just gives it an archaic sort of feel.

I also enjoy the challenge of finding them. When you do find them they aren’t astronomically unattainable, they are still relatively affordable PSA 7-9. I just bought a bunch of PSA 9 holo no rarities for under $200, some close to $100. For a set that has on average 10-12 copies of PSA 9 or better in the pop report, I’m just really surprised there isn’t more interest in them. The Japanese are quite aware of and refer to the no rarities as the 1st edition of the basic set today in 2017. I saw a post or two from 2015 suggesting caution in buying no rarities at the time because there could be a bunch of no rarities that hit the market once the Japanese start to look out for them. It’s been 2 years since then and it seems that they are only hitting the market in PSA 4-6 condition regularly, but rarely NM or better.

How long before more collector’s start to realize that there aren’t many out there? How long to be confident there won’t be some surge in supply from some backroom at a card shop that happened to have 100s of confirmed packs containing no rarities? I suppose for the average collector, if you have $1000 to spend, you probably want to spend it on what you actually collected as a kid.

It’s just difficult for me to not think that if there is a strong market for pokemon collecting in general in 20 years, no rarity mint holos are going to fetch some of the highest premiums for set cards. I think the more years between the original release of the Pokemon TCG and the present, the more obvious their allure will be.

I didn’t catch on at first, but I definitely understand where @pokemonsyndicate is coming from. the no raritans are things of beauty.

3 Likes

To debunk the market for NR, here is some objective market information; No Rarity cards have barely if at all grown in price from when people re-discovered them a few years ago. If you look at the Pop for PSA 9 No rarity charizard, it is currently 6. The 1st Ed base PSA 9 is 522, and the english 1st Ed outsells the no rarity.

I personally like the history of NR cards. You can’t take away that aspect. And if people like the mystic of the story, that is also a pro for collecting.

However, anyone suggesting these are going to be “good investments” has yet to be proven. You can make money with them for sure, if you can locate ungraded examples in solid condition. But if you look at most-all psa 9-10 1st ed wotc holo cards, you could have blindly purchased them a year ago, and there is quantifiable growth. This cannot be said for NR. In fact some of the larger sales occurred during the initial hype in 2013-14. The sub 10 market for anything not charizard/starters is pretty much non-existent.

With that said, don’t let this discourage any collecting goal. I only caution anyone treating this set as anything english, because it acts completely differently and is still a niche market.

4 Likes

Very well put.

I think most people agree with this except a certain @pokemonsyndicate.

Very niche set of cards and I do see some potential, but I don’t expect values to skyrocket.

This is basically what I’ve been saying for the past two decades. Very few people believed me when I first started talking about the existence of these exceptionally rare cards. And the article I wrote for Pojo about them was dismissed as fiction by several “expert” collectors. All the while, I ignored the naysayers and continued collecting no-rarities. I’m up to 500-plus. and yet I don’t think I’ll ever feel I have too many of them.

2 Likes

I appreciate the input. My interest in them is primarily to have them in my collection, but maybe one day they will be more sought after than they currently are.

Are the NR then an outlier to your phrase, “older, rare, minter, better?” :wink:

I know this question was meant for Scott.

However, for myself, the answer is yes. There’s no way I would have been able to assemble my sets of no-rarity cards when I did had I pursued only mint versions. My collection might not be the prettiest, but I don’t collect as an investment, and I don’t grade either.

My guess is this novelty item has peaked and will not be investible again. I have no clue how the hype was so affective with an item like this. Just a footnote in the annals of the hobby.
Like Scott said though, enjoy it as part of your collection. Niche items are fun to collect and share with others:)

Gary, do you hold this position for the same reasons as Scott expressed above?

You just wait. The more the numbers go up in pop. The more awareness/circulation. If they ever go up :nerd_face:

I could easily sell mine or trade it for a 1st ed shadowless psa 10 zard, but i wouldnt do it because theres plenty of oppotunity to get english 1st ed, but these are just to rare. Not to mention i could never sell my baby child no raritan zardston. I will die before then. IT means more then anything to me.

There has been huge growth and it came before the 1st ed shadowless.

As in venusaur popped up and sold for 3 times the price the english 1st ed did.

When charizard 1st ed shdowless zard sold for 13k. the no rarity zard sold for about 12.8.

The no rarity follows and goes neck in neck with 1st ed shadowless and has continued to do so last few years, the only difference is. 1st ed shadowless has Like nirly 1,000 MINT copies, so it continues to be available on the market.

If no rarity was on the market all the time, it would grow and have consitant sales. Think about it… THe last no rarity zard went for like 300k yen to and it was mint. This one went for 300k also. Just like how the 1st ed shadowless psa 10 has been collecting around the premium of 16l-20k usd and has established its consistant value… NO rarities dont have a chance at doing this because there never availabillitinz… BUT when one pops up, it is what someone is willing to pay for it… AND the risk is quite huge when talking about ungraded… Like shit man.

These are ungraded prices. The no rarity zard use to be like 20,000 yen not 300k yen so to say there isnt growth is errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I know what you mean but yeah… America is not the only audience. IF this set had 100 copies out there in psa 10 on the market, you would see it consistantly going up against the english at each pwccc auction, outpacing each other.

Is it investible though? errrrr, well you can barely get a single copy per 2 years… SO erm. errrrrrrrrrrrrrr cant answer the question there. Depends what you call and how you look at investment.

But errr yea there more closer then trophies to anything out there japanese… AS you see, they rarely appear the artwork and history is unbeatable There the 1st tcg card of pokemon to be released… AS in the TCG. Not topsun… shut up, dont say top sun is a TCG/tournament friggen pokemon shut upya faceaarrr.
NO PUNKSTER… NO RARITY IS THE FIRST!

sINCE THERE all destoryed, never availbable in psa 10, there like trophies where it is what someones willing to pay due to very few people having them. But theyl take a dive or a massivly sharp increase depending on where you buy them from. Figure. THe master key sold for 500,000 YEN on yahoo japan… But once that shit gets graded its going to go for way more. WHEN do you see a mint masterkey? yet you can still get one for cheapish imo if you get it ungraded… Maybe you will argue it is not cheap, and that the no rarity zard is not cheap also… That is true, but errrrrr compared to what there going to go for graded, its going to be that same niche audience who pay these massive prices for rare pieces of scarese japanese cardboard.

Difference between the no raritans and the trophies is that more collectors actually have a glimour of hope to own the cards in psa 10, then trophy cards. You cannot call trophy cards a possible collectaaable unless your a cagillianair, there for there even more niche then no rarities. For an even smaller pool of peepstons.

Just think for a minute how friggen small the japanese no rarity and japanese trophy market are IN comparison to 1st ed base set. YET They still have insane prices. Imagine if there was 100 of each 1997 pika circulating, and 100 of each no rarity zard. Then we would see some crazy shit happening. If this stuff was marketed every second new listing on ebay like 1st ed shadowless, then alot more people would know about these cards and that would change things pretty draticallently. Not that things need to be changed… AS There way cooler because there rarer imo. Thats what i go for in collecting. Rarity is king… well Rarity/Artwork/HISTORY. 2 bad gramps wont give me 3 mill so I can buy smpratticoinz listing and then buy out garys… It will happen one day. and then I put them next to the legendary no raritan… AND everything would be completed. Life completed.

ILL SHOW YOU older minter rarer… YOU CANNOT DENY THE KING!!! nO rarity - OLDEr>>> NO NO NO! TRY OLDEST!!! … GEM MINTIES - 4 in the world… RARER>>>> Destroys english 1st ed, SHadowless, and any BASE SET, or set card out there. I Dont see how you could ever put any english SET or japanese set in the same legue as no rarity in regards to these 3 attributes… Older, Minter, Rarer. You would have to be in complete denial.

3 Likes

No rarity are not a novelty item, they are the very first cards released and are integral part of Pokemon history. The hype surrounding the sales and flipping you could say attributed to a perceived novelty factor. No rarity is underappreciated as a part of Pokemon’s TCG history, the investability is irrelevant to the fact that they were the first TCG products released. All english releases including 1st Ed Base are reprints of that set and owe it’s success directly to the Japanese release.

If the initial release of Japanese Base Set (no rarity) was a flop we would have nothing.

3 Likes

I can only base my opinions on what I see. In nearly two decades I have received exactly 2 inquiries about my no rarities. That’s one every 10 years. If that doesn’t make them a novelty or niche item then I don’t know what does.
Believe me, the circle is relatively small. It certainly doesn’t have the earmarks of an investible.
Admittedly, this is just my opinion but it’s not a guess;)