Complete PSA 10 1st ed base set for auction.

I see, I wonder if it will just stay at 82,000 then. That is about 100,000 with the buyers premium I Think.

No casual throw $82,005.75 at 10 seconds here.

2 Likes

It actually seems it’s going to remain open until all lots from the current auction close. The timer keeps going back up to 15 minutes and no one is bidding.

I’m not going to stay up all night to see the results. It might very well end at the current price.

@jupitersailfish It’s actually $5,000 increments now and $10,000 if it gets past $100,000. Unless I’m reading the rules wrong…

2 Likes

They might go in a live in person auction. When I consigned an Illustrator with Heritage, the online bidding ended, and about an hour or so later, the live in person bidding occurred.

Epic.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m really not sure how all of this works. Would anyone here actually be satisfied with purchasing the complete set all in one? For me the thing that makes this hobby so enjoyable is waiting for those late night eBay snipes, snagging good deals on cards that hold the most fond memories of my childhood and getting those incredible closet binder finds and grading your own 10s from cards that have been out of booster packs for 18 years. Purchasing it all at once just seems really bland to me. I’d be super excited at first but after I got the collection and owned it for a couple of weeks and showed it off a little it would become very lackluster to me

1 Like

If buying the above card set would become “lackluster” after a couple weeks then you’re in the wrong hobby young man;)

3 Likes

Just straight out purchasing it does not sound appealing to me. There’s nothing to be proud of there. "Congratulations you’re rich and were the highest bidder compared to “I spent five years saving money, grading and searching for these cards and finally purchased the last piece.” Where’s the satisfaction in just owning it without putting in the work?

4 Likes

I agree with @chopkins. There is nothing wrong with purchasing the whole thing at once. Buuuuut doing it piece by piece sounds more fun and I assume would be way more satisfying.

1 Like

I can definitely see where you are coming from - it’s the thrill of putting in the research, searching for those cards, getting packages in the mail with those cards, and slowly building-up your collection until one day you receive that last card!

Personally, I am the complete opposite though. If I want to collect something, I want it - and I want it now! Haha

1 Like

agreed

1 Like

I agree with you that when it comes to collecting, the journey is just as important as the destination…that was the exact same way I felt when I finally completed my PSA 10 English Gold Star set last week; it was a multi-year endeavor filled with eBay steals, some overpays and a lot of time and energy spent on buying cards to hopefully grade my own PSA 10s, etc…by the time I was done I felt extremely accomplished when looking back on just how many little things fell into place to achieve my goal.

That said…there is no one “right” way to collect…for example, to go back to the Gold Stars, I knew of one other person who literally overnight went from like…a couple of PSA 10 English Gold Stars to like 23+ when he bought a large bulk of PSA 10s from someone all at once…I remember thinking, “damn, this dude is so lucky he didn’t have to go through what I went through to complete this set.” But in reality it was an unreasonable feeling because the guy had the cash to spend all at once, and if a complete PSA 10 English Gold Star set was his goal as well, then the opportunity was ripe and he would have been a fool to see those Gold Stars find their way to many different people’s hands and possibly miss on the opportunity to complete his set or delay it for years. If the only blocker to certain collecting goals is pure cash, well…no reason to get jealous or feel like it’s less of an achievement if other people can take an “easier” route and some of us can’t or don’t want to. :wink:

Lastly, i’ll just say that when it comes to collecting pinnacles like this set here…it’s not necessarily all about nostalgia and doing it for the hobby, so to speak, that would get someone to buy this set…a price range like this commands different avenues of thought and it could literally just be a pure investment speculation by whoever ends up buying it with no intention to “enjoy” owning it. Agree with Not Zelda Gilroy though that no one in their right mind would/should ever think that a complete PSA 10 1st Edition Base set is “lackluster” no matter how it is you came about getting the set if you had it. :wink:

1 Like

Most of us agree with you, but it’s important to note we’re clearly not the target audience for this kind of lot.

Some people just don’t have the time to go chasing every odd card for a couple hundred bucks or some of the scarce holos that pop up once a blue moon. Or their time is way too valuable so they pay the premium for the whole thing or they pay people like Scott or Gary to build it for them, etc…

1 Like

I can see the pros to purchasing it all at once, personally I just don’t want my hobby that I love to feel like an investment. The important thing is that no matter how you go about your collecting you are happy with it. And as long as it’s not creating a toxic environment in the community I have no issue at all with it. Just not how I would personally go about it.

when it says minimum bid $25,000, is that meant to mean the starting bid?

This has been the longest fourteen minutes of my life.

6 Likes

I believe so yes, although in their rules they state a sale won’t be made if the bid doesn’t reach the minimum bid? But they have reserves also?

I didn’t say anything about which is more fun or rewarding etc. For most, they piece it together out of necessity.
I just said, “If buying the above card set would become “lackluster” after a couple weeks then you’re in the wrong hobby young man;”

Besides my own, I’ve built I think 4 of these sets for other people and believe me, they view their collections as anything but “lackluster”. In fact, it’s safe to say that without me they wouldn’t have ever been able to accomplish building the set at all.

6 Likes

The auction finally ended with the 20% buyer fee at a little over $120,000. I did some quick research on what’s available right now as far as psa 10 holos and if you paid asking price on just the holos you’d be looking at around $110,000. Granted most of the holos on eBay are from the same seller so I’m sure if you messaged him saying “i want ALL of your 1st ed psa 10s” he would take a steep discount. But do you all think $120k is a fair price for the set for buyer and seller? Honestly I think at 120k the sale leans a little toward the buyer just because they’re saving the time it would take to complete this set and honestly probably saving a little money in the process.

1 Like

Do you have the info, and would be willing to share, on how long it took and how much it cost for you to complete those sets on average?