College Thread

I just got accepted to the John Wesley Honors College at Indiana Wesleyan University in Indiana (USA). They offered me a free ride! I’m so excited.

I’ll be double majoring in Christian Ministry and Philosophy/Theology.

Depending on what connections I make in my undergraduate work, I’ve considered Princeton and Biola for my graduate work. I may just get my Masters at IWU, as I can get through it in five years. That is all in the future though.

In addition to sharing this great news with all of my friends here, I wanted to ask about your educational paths.

Where did you attend college? Or where are you attending/planning to attend? What are you majoring in?

Feel free to share anything related to that in this thread. I’d love to get to know some of you on a less Pokemon oriented level. :blush:

Wow that’s amazing!

I’m currently attending Eastern Michigan University.

I had always planned on becoming a Veterinarian, but I think I’m going to focus on more of a Vet Tech type degree. After counting up the cost of graduate school and the time, it just doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for me.

I’ll be done with my Bachelor’s in Biology within the next year/year and a half. Then I plan on getting Vet Tech certified and taking any extra school I might need to get a specialization in birds/exotics. Getting a Vet Tech certification is only $4,000 compared to a PhD which could run me $80,000+ and 5 years. lol

I am also planning on getting married within the next 2 years, so money and time is a big thing right now. :wink:

Does “Planning on getting married” mean that wonderful gentleman I met at States has officially proposed?

Congratulations! I have my Bachelors degree in Philosophy! Glad to see someone studying what they want to learn. There are very few things greater than that!

Wow, a full ride. What a blessing!
Go to Biola! I live close by, so we can hang out :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I don’t know where I want to go to college, I do know I want to major in Marketing. I’m still in 11th grade, so I have a few more months to think about where I want to go.

Great goals funmonkey and bluey:) The more you put in, the more you’ll take out.

I graduated with my degree in Bio Chem from UCLA (go Bruins;) I minored in Journalism and wrote for the school paper. A couple of my articles were on the Marijuana Research Clinic, a detailed study on maxillofacial prosthetics, and a photo spread of our morgue…I got in trouble for that one lol. I graduated in 1976.

Right out of school I went into retail and opened a video/television store on the Sunset Strip. That was a mistake because I banked everything on the beta format Sony. Unfortunately for me, VHS ended up dominating the market.

I’ve gotten accepted into a program of accounting…
I was accepted everywhere I applied, but am deciding to go where my brothers are…

I also got accepted everywhere. Which is why I went to the highest bidder. Because with undergraduate work, I see no reason to pay if I don’t have to. I can focus on prestige and a fancy location for my diploma when it matters in my graduate work.

Where all did you get accepted for accounting?

Funmonkey54 - Congrats!!! A free ride? That is excellent news! You have really high ambitions, I wish you all the best in your post-secondary career starting next year :blush:

Bluey: First of all congrats on the marriage :blush:. I wish you all the best with your career! Nice to see another member doing a Biology degree!

Daelum: You have some ways to go, from the way you post I would have never assumed you were only in grade 11! Best of luck with your career :blush:

Gary: congrats on the biochem degree, that is no walk in the park by any stretch. I’m sorry to hear about your investments in Beta Format Sony, but you seem to have done very well for yourself so I’m glad it all worked out in the end!

DJGigabyte: I really hope you can focus on some Pokemon related projects, that would absolutely be way too cool. Also kudos to you for getting your diploma while working full-time, that’s a tough balance! Good luck :blush:

I myself just finished my 3rd year of a Biomedical Biology degree at Laurentian University in Sudbury, ON. I plan on doing one more year next year to get my honours Bachelor of Science then from there I plan on applying to medical schools in Canada and the States. My dream school is Columbia in New York although I’ll (very) happily settle for UofT :blush:.

I started a double Degree in Law and Finance in '10

So I SHOULD have been a lawyer and accountant by the end of next year :stuck_out_tongue:

I found uni absolutely boring and painstaking, I really didn’t see myself utilising either degree so I started my own business and I don’t think I can see myself going back

I guess we are all different but sounds like most guys here are doing good and have their act together good to see such a diverse range of people on the forum

You are definitely not alone Jacob. I am similar. I had a track/plan and ended up doing something different. A family friend is a DMD and practiced for years. He quit to sell gold/jewelry on ebay.

I also have another family friend who sells baseball cards for a living pre 1970. He lives very comfortably in California and retired from his day job to pursue his business.

Ultimately, if you work hard enough towards something you can achieve it.

Dang…I’m soooo proud of all you guys. Young people with their heads screwed on straight and already accomplished with much more to come:)
I wonder if the common bond, pokemon, has anything to do with it?
You all keep it going ok?

I wonder if there is a correlation :wink:

You started it Gary!! Let’s keep it going indeed!

Pokemon inherently pushes the community feel. Be you a player, collector, fan, or historian. And I think that there is something to be said for people who are intellectual, driven, and/or communicable and their attraction to community settings. When you combine the two, you have the potential for a really strong bond.

The more I get to know different collectors, the more I feel the community aspect being driven home. Sure, there are some that keep private. And many of us have hidden collection gems that we make known to those we care to let in on our collection secrets. But the overwhelming feeling is that of a community.

Thanks my friend;)

Well thought out funmonkey. Plus community’s care about and take care of their own.

Sure I’m older but I was able to see and experience exactly what all you guys did with pokemon through my sons eyes. Ill never forget in 1999 checking in on one of my sons at bedtime lying on his stomach and he had his first charizard in his hand…he just stared at it until he could stay awake no longer. In the morning that card was still safely in his hand;)

I love how so many individuals within this intimate community are pursuing a higher degree of education – it shows initiative and passion. I wish to extend a congratulations to those who have achieved their goal and the best of luck to those who are currently in pursuit of their dream :blush:

I never imagined adventuring down the avenue of educational enlightenment. A few years ago, I actually despised the mere concept of participating in post-secondary institutions. I never planned on attending university simply to spite my father, who incessantly coaxed my obstinacy to a level of tension so thin you could balance it upon the scintillating precipice of a razor’s edge.

I attempted to discover my career three times, and threes times I was the recipient of failure. I tried computer programming, massage therapy and web design – but to no avail. I was beginning to succumb to my frustrations, believing there was no place for someone like me.

Merrily skip ahead to the present.

I discovered my passion following a session with the SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) career counsellor. My aptitude tests suggested landscaping, farming and forestry as the top three best choices. So, I took the number one suggestion and tried it out. Needless to say, I enjoyed it…especially when plants became involved. I suppose my first landscaping job helped me fully realize my natural talent and skills with plants.

I have completed a Master Gardener Certificate (and its prerequisite, Woody Plant Identification), but true academia lies beyond the walls of Olds College. It is Western Canada’s leading college in agriculture, animal sciences and horticulture practices. I am so excited to attend this September. I am currently taking a two-year diploma in Production Horticulture. My ultimate goal is to complete my BASc in Horticulture with a major in either Production Horticulture or Landscape Management (whichever suits my fancy). I love plants – a lot. If I could marry a plant, I would.

Great bio UU. Best of luck though it appears you won’t need it :wink:

Are those the actual names? Seems kinda… silly

@not Zelda Gilroy – Thank you :blush:

@daelum

No. The actual name was “Green Stuff Found in Dirt and Your Mom’s Vase”.

Honestly, I think the names are as good as they’re going to get. The term “woody” simply refers to organisms belonging to the kingdom Plantae that are non-herbaceous. The cellular structure of a woody plant is different than a herbaceous plant; it basically encompasses trees and shrubs whose cellular tissue is composed of wood (bark, heartwood, sapwood and pith) in addition to a secondary xylem within the root system. In my opinion, “Woody Plant Identification” is a bit easier to remember than " Heterogeneous, Hygroscopic, Cellular and Anisotropic Plant Identification". I suppose one could name it “Tree and Shrub Identification”, but that name is misleading as not all shrubs are classified as woody; a good majority are herbaceous.

In addition, I like the term “Master Gardener” because it means I possess knowledge and expertise beyond the basic level of most hobbyists. I am the ultimate stewardess of my plant friends ;D