CGC to PSA Cross-Grading Result

Has anyone noticed if any of the grading status phases are a giveaway to whether or not a card passes or fails to cross over?

Recent Crack & Cross was a Success
These Values are predicted based on Market Availability & Ebay last sold prices

3 Likes

Would love to see a thread with new cert psa 7 and 8s cracked and sent to CGC.

2 Likes

Not all CGC 9.5 are equal. Many videos shows a straight path to 10’s, while it may be true for some, it’s not always the case. People that buy CGC 9.5 are usually good pre grader and can spot a potential 10 and often wins are shown on youtube, the loss rarely.

So watch out when you purchase CGC9.5, you may be into a lots of disappointment if you do not inspect or have a close look at the card.

Not saying you cannot convert a 9.5 to a 10, the reason probably is that PSA do not have a 9.5 , so you may end up with a 10 or so called weak 10, maybe.

3 Likes

did you ever get an answer? mines in the research&id step and im nervous lol.

I did not. Mine has been sitting at QA check 2 for quite awhile.

1 Like

I had 4 (starters) - 9,5, that i got signed, and sent to PSA, ended up with 7-8-9-8, so not all 9,5 is PSA 10

To follow up, mine came back today and it did cross over. I remember it had spent some time in research and then spent significant time in QA Check 2. Not sure if that pattern is unique or consistent to most successful crosses.

congrats and thanks for the update! mine’s in the grading stage now so still a ways to go lol. how long was your turn around time?

1 Like

Package was received on the 13th, so just under 30 day turn around. Good luck with your sub!

1 Like

Results of my cross-grading returns.

19 Likes

The 8 to 10. Nice.

2 Likes

Just done a few crosses too.

CGC 9 Pokemon Pal City > PSA 10
CGC 9 Dark Blastoise > PSA 10
A few more old backs 8.5/9 all crossed to PSA 9
Modern FAs/FA Trainers 9/9.5 > all crossed to PSA 10

I think CGC cards from a certain “phase” of CGC are more likely to cross (all blue label, not the blue/white gradient). But in general, I think anything with good centering, 9/9.5 subgrade on edges/corners is what you are looking for. The surface sub has the most chance to skip by PSA, it just needs to be looked at on an individual basis.

Still waiting on some recent cert cgc crossed to psa.

So far ive seen two gym series holos cgc 8.5 cross to psa 7.

Most recent cross-grades.

The XY162 promo is now pop 3!

18 Likes

My resent CGC to PSA Crossgrading results:

CGC 9.5 (PURE) Munch Pikachu → PSA 10
CGC 9 Mcdonalds E Series 2001 Squirtle → PSA 10
CGC 9 (9 on centering and 9 on Edges) Luigi Pikachu Half Art → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 (no Subs) Celebi Promo 175/XY-P → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Pikachu Stamp Box → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Cramorant Stamp Box → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Poncho Wearing Pikachu Mega Tokyo → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Poncho Wearing Pikachu Mega Tokyo → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Poncho Wearing Pikachu Mega Tokyo → PSA 9
CGC 9.5 Charizard KFC Holo Indonesian → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Charizard KFC Holo Indonesian → PSA 9
CGC 9.5 Kanazawa Pikachu 147 → PSA 10
CGC 9.5 Kanazawa Pikachu 144 → PSA 10

I would say cracking Japanese CGC 9.5’s are an 90% cross rate from multiple submissions. I wouldn’t say the same for an English CGC 9.5.
It is incredible value buying a CGC 9.5. Sometimes the price is half if not more the price of a PSA 10. The few that I did get a PSA 9 on, I inspect and reevaluate if I want to crack and resubmit again. For the most part, buying at a CGC 9.5 price is the same if not lower then buying at a PSA 9 grade.

So if it comes back a 9, you break even. small risk and bigger reward in my book. I will repeat this process till I feel CGC 9.5’s don’t hold up anymore.

Some of the best returns from this sub in added value was:

Pikachu Munch
Cost Basis (CB): 1265
Market Value (MV): 2400
Added Value by Cross Grading: +$1,135

Mcdonalds Squirtle
CB: 288
MV: 650
AV: +$362

Luigi Pikachu
CB: 450
MV: 1100
AV: +$650

TLDR: newer collectors are screwing themselves by grading with CGC no matter the outcome of grade. Harder grading scale (in the higher grades), along with lower valued grades in market makes this an arbitrage opportunity who have an eye for cross-grading.

Before Photos:

Videos of Cracking Processes:

9 Likes

How detailed are you when pregrading the ones you are looking to crossgrade before cracking?

When submitting a Graded Card Review, if your card doesn’t meet the minimum grade requirement does PSA give any explanation as to why they chose not to cross it? Or do they just quietly deny it and send the slab back?

Very lol, I don’t reject much because I wouldn’t have graded it in the first place if I didn’t think it would get a high grade.

But some grades I bought as is.
I know what CGC grades harshly on:
centering & surface
And I know what PSA grades harshly on:
Dents & scratching

I go through the scenarios and what has the best chance of crossing.

2 Likes

I actually don’t know. I have never used that service. I would say it would pay dividends if you studied what a PSA 10-6 looks like and get some hands on experience submitting cards.

Then readjust your cards that you choose to submit or not instead of waisting 100’s of dollars & time in grading reviews.