Dyl's PSA Return (10/22): CGC Cross & Shocking PSA Resubmission

I completed a 3-card $50 Economy order to PSA. All cards were previously graded vintage holos from Expedition (CGC 8.5 old label), EX Team Rocket Returns (CGC 9 new label), and Skyridge (PSA 7 51 million cert). Slabs were cracked and cards were submitted raw.

Timeline (2.25 months)
Arrived: 08/08/22
Order Prep: 09/01/22
Research/ID: 09/01/22
Grading: 09/01/22
Assembly: 10/04/22
QA 1: 10/04/22
QA 2: 10/06/22
Shipped: 10/20/22
Arrived: 10/22/22

Pre-Grade Condition

CGC 8.5 Gengar Holo - Expedition
(Cert: 3840995012)

CGC 9 Dark Dragonite Cosmos Holo - EX Team Rocket Returns
(Cert: 3944861002)

PSA 7 Vaporeon Holo - Skyridge
(Cert: 51203817)

The Results!

Gengar Holo - Expedition

Dark Dragonite Cosmos Holo - EX Team Rocket Returns

Vaporeon Holo - Skyridge

All Three Cards Together

Thoughts & Comments

Overall, I could not be more pleased with the results. The Expedition Gengar and TRR Dark Dragonite were exactly what I had hoped for after carefully reviewing the cards.

The Skyridge Vaporeon was shocking. I bought the PSA 7 slab around October 2021 because I felt that it looked incredibly clean. When I received the card, I could not find much damage at all, let alone something that would warrant a NM grade. I later purchased a PSA 9 in April 2022, and made the decision to crack and resubmit my PSA 7 when the submission prices dropped.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the grade today… Once again, I reviewed the card for signs of damage and could not find much at all. It was genuinely misgraded. This experiment was a great reminder that grading is incredibly subjective and prone to mistakes. Because of this, you should buy the card, not the grade.

33 Likes

Wowza! Great results. Congrats on that Vaporeon in particular! That’s amazing.

2 Likes

The fact that vaporeon went from a 7 to a 10 shows how much of a gamble it all is

8 Likes

And much like all other forms of gambling I’ve attempted, it never once turns out in my favor.

3 Likes

To be honest, I’ve only ever had two instances where I strongly disagreed with the grade that PSA provided.

1. A PSA 9 Karen’s Umbreon that was later downgraded to a PSA 7. (read more below)
  1. The PSA 7 Vaporeon above.

That said, there have been many cards on eBay, PWCC, etc. that I chose not to buy because I thought that they were graded too leniently. :melting_face:

So is it a gamble? Maybe. But I think PSA is more often on-target than off.

5 Likes

Humans are fallible beings and anything ever performed by a human has a failure rate. Baking pastries, carpet cleaning, rocket science, brain surgery, it doesn’t matter. Humans are incapable of performing anything perfectly 100% of the time, but it doesn’t invalidate the effort.

PSA grades in reference to its own standards and does so effectively with consistency. But human failure always stands out amongst any number of successes. In this case, the exception proves the rule.

2 Likes

There’s always going to be variance in grading, it’s just in the nature of the service, and it becomes even more difficult to ensure total consistency at scale. Training a handful of graders to put out similar grades is a task in itself, now add on hundreds, or even thousands, and you’ve got yourself a real challenge. I think PSA (and BGS for that matter) over time have worked into their grooves of consistency and are the best in the business, but it’s very much a gamble and will always be until the robot overlords take over.

I think that’s the first time I’ve heard “BGS” and “consistency” mentioned in the same sentence!

5 Likes

Congrats! Huge upgrade on that Vaporeon, wow. Maybe I should send my CGC 9.5 Base 2 Charizard to try and get it up to a 10?

Probably not good enough though.

2 Likes

Is the whitening on the bottom left/right on the slab or the card itself?

I think your odds are pretty slim solely based on the PSA 10 rate of about 0.8% (61 of ~7,700)… but you never know! Base 2 has a lot of issues with print lines, so that could knock you out of 10 territory.

1 Like

It’s very, very minimal. You have to completely tilt the card to find it. It’s only on the bottom left corner that I can see at all. Very conservative on the 9 grade that CGC gave, feel it should be 9.5 based off my other slabs. Compared to my PSA 10 Mewtwo from the same set, it has less visible corner whitening to my eyes:

@Dyl - I’ve looked it over high and low, and compared to all the PSA 10 Base 2 Charizards I have looked at, its surface is like glass. No visible lines. Here’s a PSA 10 I saw up close, mine doesn’t have these and yet 99% of them seem to have some type of scratches/lines:

1 Like

Yes, they’re on the card which is why the seller blew it up under light just so people are aware. To be fair, Base 2 has these known issues and I think PSA factors this in when assigning the grade. I don’t know if a single Base 2 card exists without some type of factory flaw. Print lines and borderline holo scratches or some type of whitening plague almost all of the holos it seems.

While my Mewtwo has bits of corner cut whitening from the factory, its surface is totally flawless compared to the Charizard (which had a flawless back). So there may be a little more wiggle room for minor flaws depending on the severity with this set for these reasons, but this is just my best guess.

It’s definitely tempting to try and grade the Charizard again, but it might be safer to keep it as a 9.5. Even if it became a 10, I wouldn’t want to sell it anyway since it’s purely a sentimental card for me.

1 Like

This is the situation I’m in with many of my CGC 9.5s. I have a Rocket’s Snorlax ex, for instance, that I’m pretty confident would get a PSA 10, which would bring the secondary market value from ~$800 to ~$2500. If it got a 10, I would sell it and put that money into more PC cards. But I don’t want to sell it in the first place lol.

So yeah, my conclusion was/is that it’s staying in the CGC slab lol. I realized that higher resale value doesn’t really matter to me unless I’m actually planning on selling the card.

4 Likes

very nice 10. I like 10s.

1 Like

Wow! Nice work

1 Like

If you’re not looking to sell, then regrading it at PSA only increases the risk that the card gets accidentally damaged or graded lower. Maybe best to keep it safe in the CGC slab? I think @zorloth said it best…

I realized that higher resale value doesn’t really matter to me unless I’m actually planning on selling the card.

3 Likes

Really old label PSA (no center of label psa holo) have a higher overgrade rate than anything from the last 5+ years where they tightened up and got significantly more accurate with pokemon. When people call them “weak 10s” they really just mean “should be a PSA 8”.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a known thing, more so just the PSA standard. PSA deems a 10 as a ‘virtually perfect’ card, which to me says ‘some minor flaw allowed’, or at least that’s how I’ve always perceived it compared to BGS or CGC 10 or like a Black Label.

In addition, I think it’s also to do with the ‘card quality’ factor when grading certain sets, sort of like how Jungle holos have known issues with the rough silvering on the edges but can still score a 10 compared to other sets from the same era. Base 2 has it’s known issues on the holos or in some cases rough cut corners or edges straight out of a pack, so I think PSA factors this in. This is only my best guess though.

@zorloth - Very good point. I got the CGC 9.5 Charizard for a really good deal (below PSA 9 price at the time). I was really happy to pick it up, especially because almost every other PSA 9 I looked at had pretty severe print line issues on the holo. Upgrading it to a 10 would nearly 10x it’s value, I just don’t know if it’d pull it off, even though it seems equal or as strong as my 10s from the same set.

4 Likes

That is some impressive hidden self advertising

1 Like