CGC Changed Their Grading Scale & Label

Source: https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/11754/cgc-cards-merger/

Sports and non-sports graded together

CGC and their partner company CSG (for sports) are now becoming a single entity. TCGs will be graded by TCG experts and sports cards will graded by sports card experts.

New label design

(same case design)

New grading scale

• 10-point grading scale
  • Cards previously graded Gem Mint 9.5 are now Gem Mint 10, 9.5s will still be given for future cards
  • Other .5 graded cards will remain unchanged
  • No more Perfect 10s will be graded, recases will be downgraded to Pristine
  • Pristine 10 is highest grade
  • Sub-Grades will not be offered

Recase option

CGC Cards will lower the reholder fee to just $5 until September 30, 2023 (cards under $10,000). Any Gem Mint 9.5 will be upgraded to Gem Mint 10 grade

New fees

Prices will be announced soon. Starting sometime in mid-July, the official change will happen and all cards received on or after that date get the new grading scale and label. An announcement will come.

15 Likes

For my personal taste that’s a significant upgrade to their label, now i can consider using their slabs as display pieces

Edit: ofc horrible for everyone’s slab collections in progress that liked the blue, these kinds of changes always are controversial

7 Likes

Wow they completely overhauled their grading scale and label. I feel bad for anyone who has been loyal to them.

53 Likes

Label Looks good not gonna lie

3 Likes

8 Likes

I have 1000 slabs in gem mint and above. :broken_heart:

4 Likes

and i love the new one… so… congrats cgc. Youve got more of my money.

1 Like

Sub-Grades will also no longer be offered. While Sub-Grades have a small group of loyal fans, over time they have become far less popular with submitters. In recent months, fewer than 5% of submissions included a request for Sub-Grades.

I personally couldn’t care less about subgrades, but do they not realize that the reason they used to be popular was because they used to only charge a few extra dollars?

Of course subgrades become less popular when it’s literally double the normal bulk grading fee to add subgrades - especially when the vast majority of the cards they receive are cheap flips.

To be honest, i used the subs only to pregrade a potential crossover i was going to buy on ebay / pwcc

Woah color me surprised! This would destroy me if I had a significant collection of CGC. But I own only 2 CGC cards that I really want to keep ATM so I think I can spare 10$ to cross. I could see this being huge for 9.5 collectors they all got free upgrades! Though as always anyone who bought CGC 10s in the past get the shaft

1 Like

CGC is putting all of their eggs in one basket, and this could be what kills them and alienates their fan base to go somewhere else. It takes major balls to go back to the drawing board, I like it personally, but then again, I have no position in CGC.

3 Likes

I always said the label is what stopped me from using CGC, so now with it being less colorful I will absolutely use CGC more. Plus bgs keeps screwing me and their customer service is ass

2 Likes

I dont even collect CGC cards but this definatly triggered me

4 Likes

Very surprised and a huge disappointment for me. Almost all the graded Chanseys in my collection are CGC with subgrades (which I really like having). Any new graded Chansey cards will stick out terribly.

The label is also ugly imo. I preferred their first style. Getting rid of subgrades is shocking.

46 Likes

Interesting. Wonder if they will recase part cards?

Cgc and bgs just can’t seem to make up their mind, part of the reason why PSA is so good is because they are so consistent

2 Likes

the new label looks bland af

5 Likes

I complained about the label in the past (how the blue clashes with certain cards), but I think I dislike this even more. Now it really just looks like a junk slab backyard label to me. At least before it was very distinct and in line with the existing CGC comic label.

Even though I’ve been fine with collecting CGC slabs, I’m glad I don’t have a lot tied into it. The newer label before this was getting better, they really just needed to tweak the Pristine/Perfect label IMO.

17 Likes

Significant amount of my collection post 2020 is blue label cgc. Sigh. I was collecting alt arts in cgc slabs. Hurts.

4 Likes

Junk slab backyard is the perfect way to sum it up.

6 Likes

My exact thoughts! The new label reminds me of bccg, gma, and/or any other defunct backyard grading company.

23 Likes