Cross grading experiment to PSA

Hi all!
I have decided to make this post as I am sending in a couple days a 15 card grading submission to PSA from cards that I bought and cracked from other minor companies.
First of all, let me say that I have just opened all the slabs without damaging any cards and HOLY F did I get nervous :joy:

These are the cards to open and send grading

As you can see, there are x2 BGS , x2 GRAAD, x3 CGC, x1 PCA , x1 EG, x1 Universal Grading and x3 PSA for regrading and having consecutive certificate numbers.

I have some more difficulties with some slabs than other, will explain very briefly how I managed to open each

PSA

Cracked the corners with pliers and with a flat screw opened very carefully. Plastic is harder than others but easy to open. Regarding the grades I send Hitmonchan as the case was foggy for some reason, and the other 2 cards to have consecutive certificate numbers on all the crystals. Ho-oH after inspecting it it could be a 7 instead a 6, crossing fingers!!

GRAAD

Italian grading company. Same method with this one, but it was a bit more tricky. The plastic was lower quality than PSA, it cracked at first more easily, but when opening with the screw the celebi slab cracked and broke in half on the back of the card, luckily didn’t affect the card and managed to pull the card without any issues! Expecting a 7 on Lugia, being lucky an 8. Celebi not sure, card is in great condition but has a small surface defect on the Ereader logo… don’t know how PSA reflects that on the grade, but if it gets a 6 if more than happy!

PCA / Universal Grading

PCA is a French company and Universal grading is an UK company. The slabs were the worse plastic quality by far, same method to open. PCA plastic is so bad that I could cut a slide of the slab on the top of it with the pliers as if it were a pair of scissors cutting paper. The universal grading one I cracked the corner, opened with the screw but it cracked as the celebi one on the back. Managed to take the card safely anyway. I expect a 7 on the golem as well,if lucky an 8. The kingdra probably a 7 as the card is perfect but some scratches on the holo.

CGC

These ones were fairly easy to open. Same method cracking the corner and pulling the screw, the chansey slab cracked at half and I panicked as it seemed impossible to take the chansey out and I even though I damaged the top left back corner, but then I checked the CGC scans and it was already like that. Venusaur and Mewtwo will probably be an 8 , but have good chances for a 9 they are very solid. Chansey as I said has a corner a bit meh, but perfect holo and the card is very good so it probably will be an 8. Surprised it got an 8.5 on CGC with that defect on the corner IMO should be an 8

BGS

The easiest to open unexpectedly and the ones that made me feel more confident having the sleeve. Have to put a bit more of pressure as they are thicker but once you crack the corner it opens really easy with the screw. Wasn’t expecting the sleeve was completely closed and had to open it with scissors lol. Both cards look really solid hoping for both PSA 9 ( nidoking was previously a PSA 9 the owner even sent me the previous PSA tag)

European grading

Spanish grading company, and as a Spaniard I beg you never grade here lol. They think they are a good grading company but my personal experience is that they over grade everything. Had a mewtwo that sent there, got an 8.5 grade and sent it to PSA for cross grading and didn’t get the minimum grade I set (7). Bought this Machamp as I inspected the card before buying and it can be a solid 8 in this case and that’s the minimum I wanted for my collection (difficult to find a Spanish Machamp with that grade tbh) The ugliest slab and the more difficult one, you can’t just use the pliers. I placed the screw on the top left corner of the slab where it is more separated from the card and with a hammer just hit it lol. The slab cracked on that part, and then pulled it easily with the screw. I did that because the slab is so thick I was 99% confident there were no chances to damage the card, and indeed it was like that!

So, after all these opening this is how all the cards look

With these cards I am submitting as well as you can see a crystal kabutops and first Ed Spanish Charizard. The kabutops I think it is a solid 8 as the card is in superb condition with very minor back edges wear and not perfect back centering. The Charizard is really good as well, but has some front edges whitening (most of Spanish holo cards came out of packs like that ) but surface is perfect, Could be a 7 but really hoping for an 8 if the grader has a nice day :blush:

Anyway, sorry if this is not very informative for most of you but it was my first time opening graded slabs and felt like sharing it, will keep you updated with the graded results! Sending them on Friday with the 50$ service, hope to have them back by end of august!

30 Likes

cool experiment, looking forward to the results! I have a few flawless looking CGC 8.5/ 9s and an SGC 9 that I am excited to cross to PSA. Should be interesting lol

1 Like

Great idea, I’m eager to see the results!

1 Like

You could doctorate with this

2 Likes

Look forward to seeing the results.

1 Like

Thank you all for the comments!
Today it got shipped to PSA from Spain. According to the fedex service I purchased it will arrive to PSA facilities on Monday, I will be posting here updates on the process to help some people that asked me how works placing an order to PSA directly from Europe

6 Likes

Just delivered to PSA facilities today, let’s see how long it takes to process into their system now!

7 Likes

Are you going to share the results as soon as you get them or are you going to wait for the cards to come back? Really looking forward to this!

1 Like

Thanks to you I found the new forum LoL I was wondering what happened hahaha
I will post the grades when they are available! I don’t have the patience to wait for them to arrive!
2 days ago they went into step 3!

4 Likes

Take luck

2 Likes

Thank you! I am really excited about getting the results, these cards are a big part of my collection and may seem not much to some people but are huge for me , hoping for good grades on them :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really looking forward to the results - they are moving quickly!

1 Like

best of luck, curious on the results as well :eyes:

1 Like

Just went into grading step!!

9 Likes

Just commenting to get notified on the results! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Interested to see the results!

My prediction

Old BGS - going to stay as the same grade or higher when cross over to PSA
Old PSA - plus or minus one difference but most will stay the same
Old CGC - your three 8.5 will be PSA 8 when crossover

No idea about any of the other grading companies (ie: GRAD, PCA, Universal)

Good luck, let us know when you find out.

1 Like

Curious about results as well!

1 Like

Does anyone know if cracking PSA slabs affects the pop reports? Can’t think of any way of accounting for serial codes belonging to cracked slabs.

If the cracked labels are sent to psa, they will be removed from the pop report. Most people probably don’t send them in though.

3 Likes