TCA Cross Grading Result PSA to CGC

I thought this cross grading result was WILD. Literally every single card graded higher and in some cases jumped from as low as PSA 8 to Pristine 10. I recall seeing his PSA results for these same cards and he stated they were extremely harsh. I think the whole submission was WOTC cards too. Check it out if you haven’t seen it because the difference is huge.

I recently cracked and submitted my own PSA cards to BGS to see what I would get back. Personally, I think a lot of the issue is PSA grading very harsh on the surface.
https://youtube.com/shorts/dw6wJmrW77Q?feature=share

1 Like

His PSA grader didn’t have their morning coffee

1 Like

I dont think I have ever seen a psa to cgc cross. Its always the other way around, weird to see but interesting nonetheless

1 Like

I always like these types of videos because you get just pure confirmation bias in the comments in both directions at once: “psa is too harsh” and “cgc is too lenient”

A bit refreshing to see a few people question grading all together

12 Likes

Need more of this for sure. Psa grading has been dubious beyond imo almost like complete random nonsense. (my brothers had lots of subs back and we open together) Cgc actually looks consistent enough which I’ve been pleased to see. That psa 2 is just another example.

Right? I like how people sometimes cross to PSA and then someone else crosses to CGC. This is wild how different the grades are though. Reminds us just how opinionated grading can be. Can you blame crossing like this? It would be a lot of money left on the table and TCA seemed confident in the card conditions too. Glad it paid off in this case, but also interesting to see.

1 Like

I have to imagine that TCA regraded these with CGC because he felt that PSA undergraded them – in which case these results are pretty meaningless. There are instances of CGC 8s crossing to PSA 10, too, and that similarly doesn’t mean much of anything. All it indicates is that grading is about as far from an exact science as imaginable.

11 Likes

I’ve done it quite a few times and posted the results in the giant grading thread! If one knows what each grading company looks for, it’s pretty easy to find PSA 8s that are CGC 9 quality, or PSA 9s that are CGC 9.5 quality. PSA is much harsher on surface, whereas CGC is hyperfixated on back-whitening. It’s a pretty easily gameable system.

BREAKING NEWS: PROFESSIONAL GRADING REVEALED TO BE SUBJECTIVE IN NATURE, YOUTUBE COMMENTS SECTION IN UPROAR

19 Likes

Oh right i forgot you did it on that latios gold star. That was a big winner there

1 Like

Did you even read what I said??? :rofl:

4 Likes

I want to see that sceptile and salamence. I generally dont mind the resub game but a 7 to pristine or whatever he said. The varying degress of 10s of cgc and bgs were supposed to mean literally flawless so if psa noticed something im interested in what it was. If we lose our alternate 10s what hope do we have. What is real anymore

I’m pretty sure psa used a random number generator during the backlog to keep pop numbers under control but as a consequence quality control ie cards that got correct grades went out the window.

He actually didn’t mention what grade the Sceptile was previously – I’d be super curious about that one given that it’s a quad 10.

Also, here’s the back of Salamence from his eBay listing:

I have to imagine the Salamence had a 9.5 corner sub, because the corners certainly aren’t 10-worthy.

And the back of Sceptile:

Personally, I’d err toward 9.5 corners on the Sceptile. But then again, those corners are pretty much as nice as you can get from Ruby Sapphire lol.

1 Like

The salamence yeah ill give him that card has no holo to it, but sceptile may as well be T17

1 Like

It is incredible how many people don’t appreciate/understand the subjectivity of grading.

What are you smoking and can I have some

4 Likes

It explains why many psa 5s go back in and get a 10. No one looked at it as that can’t happen if they did. I’d bet that everybody here who looked at a real psa 5 contendor would never ever give it a 10. I can’t find a single case of cgc 5/6 being cracked and coming back a cgc 9.5 or 10. I actually want to believe in psa because they’ve been the standard for years but I’m just finding that it isn’t the case. I’ve subbed to them currently for anyone thinking I’m cgc cgc cgc. I’m for what makes sense condition wise and that’s it really. If I ever get a card thats mint and comes back a low grade from cgc I’ll be pulling that up instantly on here.
@smpratte you did a great vid on differences between psa and bgs slabs on grades and what the cards actually looked like a while back. An updated vid with cgc in it aswell would be great to watch.

While a 5 to a 10 jump can happen all it’s indicating is that grading is performed by humans and there is subjectivity. 10 =/ 5 so there was a mistake made on one of those submissions where a dent was likely missed.

You wouldn’t see such a large jump on CGC as to my understanding dents aren’t approached in the same way.

A large jump though could have happened, and likely did with CGC. They are run by humans too. PSA also graded 4x more TCG cards than CGC last year, and far more totao cards last year. When volume of events are high there will be outliers.

I own more PSA slabs than CGC slabs but don’t think PSA, or any grading company, is infallible. Mistakes have happened and will continue to happen from time to time, but they do not represent the company grading ability as a whole.

2 Likes

Im happy for people to show me badly graded cgcs in the high grades. As for a dent a perfect example is my friend who is meticulous on his checking and there was no dent and no way his card was a 5 so cracked it and got the 10. All on YouTube if you want it. I can only go by everything I’m seeing.