Discussion on the consistency of PSA grading

Thoughts?

Grading isn’t an exact science? A certain amount of inconsistency is inevitable.

22 Likes

Grading subjectivity is well known. I don’t think anyone who has graded for longer than a few months is under the impression that resubmitting a card and getting a different grade is a “gotcha.”

Especially with how I’ve seen PSA treating very minor impressions in cards recently, a 5 to 7 upgrade doesn’t shock me at all.

13 Likes

As someone who works in quality, this seems quite normal, especially when it’s so highly reliant on human subjectivity. Even with all of the guidelines etc, there can easily be slip through. But if you compare the data over thousands of graded cards, the consistency should be pretty uniform to PSA standards.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Well, how else can they collect fees on you twice? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

My off the handle take on this is that a PSA 5 and PSA 7 of a 2000 tops Holo card are basically the same anyway

3 Likes

Another thing I’d like to mention is selection bias. Nobody ever posts a thread titled “PSA consistency?” where they cracked their 10 and it got another 10, or if they cracked their 9 and it got a 9, or if the card they submitted got exactly the grade they expected it to.

I recently got back around 300 cards from PSA, and there’s a few where I think they might deserve a higher grade than what they received and I’d consider resubmitting. But I also got several cards back which graded higher than I expected (certainly not resubmitting or complaining about those), and the vast majority graded pretty much as I was expecting, or I can see why they received the grade they did.

28 Likes

Agreed with @fourthstartcg. Humans love to look for patterns in data that reinforce our preconceived notions of the world. For every PSA upgrade post, there are likely thousands of downgrade or same grade returns that do not get highlighted.

10 Likes

Remember you’re paying a company for their opinion

11 Likes

Every condition card will score a 10 if resubmitted enough times.

2 Likes

You really think so?

On average the lower the grade the longer it will take but yes all cards eventually attain a 10.

2 Likes

You know that this is 100% false, right? I can’t tell if you are using sarcasm or not.

4 Likes

@Dyl im a number theorist. Its true. They also all attain every other grade.

6 Likes

I had 5 card sent in last time, and all ended up with the same grade, So it is not like it allways get grade up or down.

But there is no fun posting a post about that

1 Like

3 Likes

Fold your best card in half and prove it!

4 Likes

Wasn’t this the card where the customer submitted couple of Charizards and the grades were just swapped. The other card got a 4. Overall a W to the submitter.

Cheers!

3 Likes

No idea i was pulling up an example of a bad condition card attaining a 10. It matters not how its attained just that it does attain a 10.

4 Likes