Can this masaki gengar be cleaned?

Hi everyone! I always thought to own a super minty masaki gengar but today I found out it’s dirty :smiling_face_with_tear: do you guys think is it possible to clean it? If yes, how? Thanks in advance

A wet Qtip with water is decent for cleaning cards. If the card gets wet you can breathe on it to dry it. I’d practice on an old card first. And of course, be careful and know there’s risk to cleaning a card

2 Likes

@lghzcollect water damage and potential scratching from trying to clean it would be way worse than the card being dirty. If that was my card, especially having a clean front, I’d leave as is.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m afraid of! The fact is that I feel this card could be a possible psa 10 or a strong 9 if it wasnt for that thing.
Also I always had in mind to send it to grade, but now I don’t know what to do.

Try a microfiber slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol

1 Like

Bit of 180 sandpaper will fix that.

For legal reasons that’s a joke

3 Likes

That thread will never stop being hilarious. Like the bodybuilder thread where they argue how many days are in a week. Or the guy who seized his engine because he put water instead of oil in to clean it.

1 Like

A very lightly damp q-tip or cloth should work. The key is to keep water away from the edges, where it will be absorbed and swell. I recommend using a practice card first

1 Like

Bonnie, @bodangers on Instagram, has cleaned a hundred cards. Maybe contact her for advice and tell her Gary sent you lol.

2 Likes

I’ve cleaned a decent number of cards, mostly from my old childhood collection. I’d recommend using a microfiber cloth (what you’d use for glasses) and a solution with water and some rubbing alcohol or windex. Dip a corner of the cloth in the liquid and then rub the corner into a dry part of the cloth so it’s damp but not soaked through. Place the card on the dry part of the cloth and fold that corner over to use for cleaning - apply very light pressure to start and only increase it if you need to. The microfiber will keep both surfaces from scratching and the solution will evaporate very fast to avoid any damage from the liquid.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies guys! Very much appreciated :heart:

1 Like

I can’t really add to what everyone else has already said, but I would just strongly reiterate the advice to use a practice card first and even when you do it on the real thing, start with less liquid and less pressure than you think you’ll need, try to let the solution do the work rather than the pressure. You can always go back over if you haven’t done enough, but you can’t undo it if you’ve done too much!

2 Likes

Update:

We can say the operation was a success.
Thank you all :v::heart:

12 Likes