Cleaning cards

I made a post about this a little while ago but I wanted to get peoples opinions on getting what appears to be a tiny bit of ketchup off a card. My initial reaction is to use a barely damp microfiber cloth.
Its for a card at my LGS (unlimited base zard) and I havent purchased it yet so I can’t post pics. But it looks to be in 6/7 condition as long as I’m able to remove said ketchup.

External Media

20 Likes

lmfao

Microfiber cloth and Q-tip damped with water, but not too much. Do it gently. Patience is the key and it’ll get the job done.

Personally, don’t use any cleaner like Windex. Even if it doesn’t have ammonia, it can leave other chemicals residue that may or may not damage card overtime. Nobody knows, but you also run the risk of PSA flagging you for restoration if they catch or smell it.

2 Likes

I typically spritz my cards with the scent of cherry blossom to give them a PSA 10 smell… PSA graders never see it coming.

1 Like

Windex only gets you a ~ .5 bump anyway for surface so unless you’re grading with Beckett or CGC, you’re wasting your time spraying your cards down for PSA. Does nothing when it comes to centering, corner whitening or edges.

1 Like

ok since we’re on the subject I have not been cleaning any card, wayyy too scared to. Is this common? I have a bunch of cards that are very nice overall but have single small stains like the examples below (the stains, not the cards). Should I be trying to clean these off?

I use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol dissolves lipid like fingerprints and such much easier than water and dries almost instantly. With care, I’ve not noticed any damage, even using gently on the holo (proceed at own risk!).

1 Like

Sandpaper helps get the scuffs to become smooth and part of the card again.

1 Like

I did use a microfiber cloth and water last year to clean some surface grime off of a shining charizard, it graded a 9. Patience is key when doing it, very slow and minimal water, I tested it on a few cheaper common cards first to make sure I wasn’t damaging the surface.