Light cleaning of a smudge advice (pics included)

I’ve never cleaned a card but I recently bought a shining charizard that looks great but has a small smudge that I saw in the light. I just wanted to ask for advice before cleaning it but I was going to just lightly use a cloth to see if it will come off. It’s shown well in this picture, its to the left of where the glare is. The other dots in the glare are just dust or something on the card saver.

Use a slightly (!) wet microfiber cloth and try to clean it off gently, by making a kind of circular movement. Try to avoid using your fingertips/nails as you can cause more harm than good.

1 Like

Are there any videos of this being done? I’m a little bit worried still of causing water damage obviously because I plan on getting it graded.

Me: don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it

Also me: 120grit sandpaper works wonders

Edit: please don’t :joy:

9 Likes

I thought windex was the chemical of choice?

I was gonna say inb4 sandpaper in my original post but I will accept that I will be meme’d on for my lack of knowledge.

I’ve used a paper towel soaked in hot water and achieved good results many times! I’ve had cards that had gnar in several spots clean well enough to grade 9’s and 10’s!

I fold the poper towel up (into a square) so it has nice tight and stiff corners and I do a sort of dab and swipe maneuver over the spot very lightly til it comes off. Once it’s off I dry it by doing about the same rhing extremely lightly using a dry paper towel.

Someone else stated the microfiber cloth, that sounds like a food option too! Good luck dude, if you grade that I hope you get a stellar result!

1 Like

I personally use a microfiber cloth, especially for holos. I you can just spray some water on the cloth and gently rub. I also like using Touch of Purple. It’s non abrasive and I’ve used it plenty without any issues.

Would you be willing to label your card as “lightly cleaned” if you decide to sell it someday?

P.s. please don’t use windex lol.

I am completely transparent about stuff I sell so if I did sell a card I had to try to get something off of and I thought it could change how it would be seen during grading I wouldn’t mind disclosing that because that’s what I would want. I said I bought this but it was actually bought for me as a gift for Christmas and I intend on grading it and keeping it permanently no matter the grade. But I still would like to get this small smudge off as the card is extremely clean besides that and I think is a 9 candidate. I am not going to use windex, I bought some small microfiber cloths and looked for some cheap cards in box that might have slight smudging/spots on the front and am going to test cleaning those with slightly wet cloths before dipping into trying it on this card.

Also thanks for all of the replies, I always appreciate all of the help from everyone on the fourum.

2 Likes

It’s not a coin lol

does psa or bgs offer a cleaning service? i know the action figure/toy graders do when they grade.