How to clean a card?

I am wondering if there is any safe way to clean this up? This blastoise sat in a binder for years and looks like some residue was left up near the evolution box. Also, there is this black speck. If I could clean those off, this has a shot at a 9. Any advice is appreciated!

That black spot can easily get out with a damp glass cleaner cloth…not that damped and don’t use your nail… The other residue on the evolution box might also get out, but I am not sure

Try to wipe outwards to not damage corners.

Good luck

Bit of 180 sandpaper will fix that

6 Likes

If I saw those stains, I would use a Qtip and gently try to make the residue stick to the Qtip instead.

If this was a decently expensive card, I would ultimately leave it as-is in fear of damaging it.

In hindsight I’m assuming this was a troll…I’m an idiot and tried to use it on that black speck and all I did was scratch through to the foil. Thanks for the very helpful tip.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry that happened. I’m not sure but the sandpaper is a meme in these forums:-[

I hope the card is still recoverable :slightly_frowning_face:

He is being sarcastic… I think… maybe you were also… sarcastception ??

1 Like

I’m not on here very often, I didn’t realize that. I saw tpokeman liked the comment and he has a nice collection so I thought it was legit. The microfiber cloth didn’t take the black off so I tried it. In hindsight I guess I should’ve known. Just really fucking annoying. It was an 8ish and now it’s a 5 at best.

You are joking, right?

Sand paper polishes the card perfectly. After your finished you’ll have a nice shiny holofoil without that disgusting artwork on it.

1 Like

@wolffy68 I’m assuming this is a joke, but there’s a very large scratch in the holo anyway. Not sure it would have gotten an 8 to begin with. It’s right to the right of your thumb in the photo you initially sent. That dirt spec was a much more minor imperfection.

If you WERE being serious, and you’re looking to make your money back for the damages to the card, I know an African prince from the small but wealthy nation of Zamunda and he can help you out with a fool-proof investment. He has a shitload of money but needs $2000 USD for day-to-day living while his money is exported through customs and his wires transfer. You give him $2000 up front and he’ll give you $5,000 on the back end.

1 Like

I fully realize I am going to get roasted forever for this. I’m just more mad that I messed up a nice card.

1 Like

hit my line

1 Like

I literally just died… I am sorry my friend…next time be persistant with the damped cloth, it might take a few passages.

my heart goes out to you :neutral_face:

1 Like

Looks like it took the speck of dirt off at least?

4 Likes

Just a little humor my man. That’s one of the oldest scams in the playbook. Your gullibility worries me a little :slightly_frowning_face: Sorry about your card.

If only I replied before Jakew1992, you may have read my advice first :slightly_frowning_face:

i get it lol. I’ve not been around these forums very much and thought that little rougher edge might be able to get it. I looked elsewhere online, and I guess they were trolling there too but people were supposedly doing much worse with MTG cards.

1 Like

not your fault, just mad at myself. your trick helped with the other grime

1 Like