Calling all Species Collectors! What is your hunt?

Welcome fellow Species Collectors, I figured that I would put this out there. I know my collection forward and backward, but always am interested in other’s collections. Its always great to hear about things others are passionate about!

So, I wanted to see what everyone else is out there hunting? What do you still need that is super hard to get a hold of? Anything just simply outside of your reach? Or is it simply something hard to get in good condition?

For me and my gradedd Greninja collection, outside of impossible to find things that I could never afford, like the 218/XY-P TV Tokyo Lottery Ash-Greninja EX or the Art Academy Ashley Pikachu, my current chase is a PSA 10 condition English Illustrator Contest Greninja SWSH305. Either raw but in good enough condition that I feel it has a good shot, or a reasonable price for a 10. These promos just have atrocious quality, so I have not been able to find anything up to my standards. Only 4 have been graded 10 as of writing this, our of 125 total graded.

Here is my PSA 9 copy I already have, happy to have it but still want that 10!

For those curious, the link to my PSA Registry: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/tcg/famous-figures/pokemon-greninja-master-set/alltimeset/436993

13 Likes

Reminds me of this thread of about a year ago. :slight_smile: A friendly place for species collectors

Anyway, I am a species collector of both Pikachu and Seviper.

For Pikachu I collect all languages and variations up to Feb. 27th, 2021 (25th Pokémon Day), and all English and one of each non-English exclusive artwork after that date. Apart from latest releases and incoming cards, I’m missing just ten cards from before this date, and one English card from after this date, which has been the status of my Pikachu collection for quite a while now, and I don’t think it will change anytime soon. (If you’re curious about these 11 cards, I can refer to my Pikachu wanted list - the prices of the Art Academy and SNAP Pikachu can be ignored, since they’re not realistic, and I can’t afford them anyway…)

My top wanted card for my Pikachu collection, from the ones I can afford I mean, is the English SwSh League promo that was given at Worlds 2022. Apart from the Art Academy Ashley card you’re looking for as well, it’s the final English Pikachu card I’m missing.

For Seviper I collect all languages and variations. Apart from incoming cards, I’m still waiting for some Indonesian cards (my middleman is busy with his exams), and am also waiting for some Thai cards (OjamaCard hasn’t responded yet to my message unfortunately, so I might need to look for a Thai middleman soon…) And I still have some incoming English/Japanese/Chinese/Portuguese Seviper TCG cards as well.
I also collect every non-TCG merchandize featuring Seviper, and this has been my main focus lately. Already got a lot of different items, but there are still some missing. I’m especially looking for the four missing Metal Collection Figure colors to own all Seviper figures I’m aware of existing, and I’m also actively looking for the last missing non-holo Amada promo sticker. Also, since this thread the day before yesterday, I’ve also been searching more actively for the different Pokémon Staks colors for Seviper. Here are all Seviper items I’m aware of existing that I don’t have yet.

My top wanted card for my Seviper collection are the Metal Collection figures, since my Seviper figure sub-collection would be complete with them. Unfortunately gen 3 Metal Collection figures are extremely hard to find… :frowning:

Greetz,
Quuador

12 Likes

I participated in that older thread, figured it had been long enough with nothing added tonit adn the focus more on what people are currently hunting that I should just make a new thread.

As for your collection, it always a pleasure to see you go into detail anout Pikachu and Seviper. I cant imagine messing with Pikachu, and your extensive Seviper stuff is a main reason I am simply sticking to cards for Greninja. The thought of tracking down everything ot appears in is daunting and i would imagine crazy expensive!

4 Likes

For my it’s not that expensive. I mean, in comparison to collecting Pikachu and FA Supporter/CHR cards. :wink: It’s actually refreshing to search for cheaper items and also actually finding new stuff every few days/weeks, as I was used to at the start of my collection journeys. :wink:

But then again, gen 3 is (one of) the least produced generation in terms of Pokémon merchandise, so for Greninja, despite being released way later, there is probably way more merchandise available and released by the Pokémon Center. I see it with @Dizzle’s focus on Dedenne for example, and I also see a lot of XY and SM era Pokémon merchandize on Mercari and YJ when I’m searching for Seviper stuff. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Heyo! I’m pretty new here and this is the first thread I’m participating in :slight_smile: (besides the one I already did a few days ago).

My name is Kob and I’m a Giratina collector. It’s my favorite Pokémon all around. I’m trying to collect every Giratina ever, focusing on the English ones, but also having some in other languages :slight_smile: !

Unfortunately, I didn’t have much luck with LOR and CRZ, so I’m still missing those beauties that are my chase cards as you can guess. Maybe when I’m rich I’ll get buy them eheheh.

For now, this is all my collection so far, I’m very proud of it (sorry for the low quality pictures and my cameos)!
For more of my collection, you can check it here!

PS: I secretly want to start a Lechonk collection, I love him so much.

18 Likes

Can confirm, Greninja does get a good amount of love via the xy era merch so there are lots of things one can chase in that regard!

As for my species collecting here, most know im a gen 2 + dedenne collector so my collection ends up consisting of the following:

1. johto starter evo cards (japanese/english only)
  2. johto starter merch (mostly japanese but i do dabble in some international goods)
  3. dedenne everything (japanese only)

Its quite a chore to have such large collection goals and things to chase, but honestly when you slice out cards from the equation it becomes very easy and doable for the most part. Dedenne is my biggest issue with merch since they like to include it on EVERYTHING, but I have my own methods and ways about what i buy in that sense that makes it all work. Id post some of my collection here to showcase it but i have those pics all over anyways so just check my instagram thats linked for all the goodies lol.

Oh and currently im chasing nothing lmao. I honestly have peaked with what i have and want/desired so now im kinda just having fun getting random extras here and there if possible :grin:

6 Likes

Still on the raichu mission that I posted a while ago. I have a few cards ready to send off for grading but I’ve been enjoying collecting the newer sets (well I was until I pulled very badly).

I’m hoping I can fire a load of cards out very soon and then I’ll get a proper look at how many are left.

As a minimum it’s dragon frontier’s non stamped Mr Stone’s Project as I can’t find a clean copy of that at all.

6 Likes

With my main focus being the PSA Greninja Master Set Registry, it saves me from going too deep. They recently took some non-Japanese/English cards off the required list so i no longer have any desire to get other laguages.

Also did some cursory research into sleeves with Greninja on it and it quickly ballooned beyond what I had an interest in. I imagine there are a ton of odd mech with him on it. There are a few things I have a bit of interest in obtaining, but nothing I’m getting that itch to go hard on.

2 Likes

I am slowly working on a masterset for Aron!
This might take me a very long time because there are so many variants of every card – languages, EX era codes, etc. The spreadsheet is still a work in progress but I’ve discovered over 300 different Aron cards so far, and only own a fraction of them :sweat_smile:

My biggest hunt is probably the unlimited Aron from the Japanese “World Champions Pack”, which is much rarer than its first edition counterpart. I hope it pops up on Buyee some day :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I love Giratina, good luck on your collecting goal!

3 Likes

In general, Unlimited is always harder to find for Japanese. Took me about a year to finally find the XY9 unlimited cards I needed! Always on the lookout for more because they are so rare!

5 Likes

That’s an interesting question … Currently now I’m planning to hunt Omanyte, Omastar and Delibird.

Whatever you think about Delibird, I think he is really cool. What motivated me to collect Delibird is 1 card in specific: Delibird (Skyridge :us:/Mysterious Mountains :jp:), which is my favourite card ever. I really like that card and decided to do a Master Collection of that specific card (I haven’t started yet, but it’s on my plans).

I even made a list of all of its variants:

• 1st Edition :flag_jp:
  • Unlimited :flag_jp:
  • Non-Holo :flag_us:
  • Reverse Holo :flag_us:
  • Non-Holo :flag_de:
  • Reverse Holo :flag_de:
  • Non-Holo :flag_it:
  • Reverse Holo :flag_it:

Then, I noticed that Delibird had more cool cards. Miki Kudo’s Delibird looks really similar to Sumiyoshi Kizuki’s Delibird. And then I decided to collect all Delibirds!

Until now I have not many Delibird cards. I can stand out Komiya’s Delibird from Neo Era

It might be a really slow process, but I’m sure it’ll be fun!!!

10 Likes

Welcome @Kob . You have a great start on your collection! Thanks for sharing it.

4 Likes

Nice! My Giratina Collection is kinda getting started too!

5 Likes

As some of you already know i collect grimer and muk stuff, my focus has been lately in non tcg niche items i’m missing like clean edge canadian burger king grimer and missing colours of keshi and metal figures. But i’ve started to have an itch for a big grail and that’s what my next big goal is, a cosmos foil fossil muk :slight_smile: i’ve already decided against getting it earlier but i’ve slowly started to change my mind and now it’s already the top goal in my wants list! It’s a big stretch and not an easy one to find so any help getting one would be appreciated :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am a Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss & Jirachi species collector. (English only + JP exclusive arts)

Only Jirachi I am missing is staff stamp Jirachi from SM. not hard to acquire per se, just in no rush and waiting for a solid deal to come up for one.
Haven’t decided if I am going to collect all the world championship deck cards as I imagine finding some of those ~2004-2014 WC deck Jirachi’s may be tough.

The one weirdly hard card to find is 2016 McDonald’s Togepi in English
Pretty much all I ever find is Italian/Spanish/French on eBay.

And then there is the constant debate in my head if I want to expand (probably just the Togepi collection) to all JP versions as well, but the unlimited hunt for those sounds daunting but fun too haha

Like @quuador is doing with Seviper merchandise, I am slowly trying to start collecting official non TCG merchandise with Togepi & Jirachi as the main focus of said products and it has really invigorated my passion for collecting lately as both have had some pretty cool products in the past

7 Likes

If you have the willpower to stick to English and only Japanese exclusive arts I would highly recommend it! I would imagine there would be a good amount of slight Japanese variants out there or your 4 species. When I started on my spreadsheet to track my stuff, it quickly ballooned more than I was expecting it to.

3 Likes

Great idea for a topic. I’ve been working on a pair of species/evolution lines, Seel & Dewgong and Diglett & Dugtrio. I’ve got a majority of the normal set cards, at least up through modern sets from around 2021 or 2022. I had always liked Dugtrio and Dewgong. A few years ago I bought a collection mostly for the Japanese holos and some neat extras like empty deck boxes, but it also came with a lot of bulk. In the bulk were the Diglett and Dugtrio Asobikata promos! …Which gave me the idea of starting a species collection. And since I like Seel & Dewgong, soon after I decided to do them too to make it easier to get free shipping on tcg player. :sweat_smile:

I recently lucked into a Web Diglett, found it unexpectedly in a shop. I still need Base 1st Dugtrio, Seel and Dewgong, though that’s more of me being picky for a good deal or nice copies.

I go back and forth all the time whether to collect different variations (XY reverse holos, why not? Alolan? not a big fan but they’re cheap… Legendary Collection reverse holos, they look awesome, but I already have 4 other cards with the same artwork and would rather spend on other stuff, maybe someday I’ll pick them up; Skyridge reverses, probably never; etc etc).

I’ve also started buying some non-TCG cards for these species. I don’t feel the need to collect 100% of every card ever made, but it is fun adding some Bandai, Topsun, etc. to the collection for these guys.

Overall it’s been a lot of fun collecting species, hoping to finish up Seel, Dewgong, Diglett and Dugtrio in the next year or two and maybe start another species after that. Possibly Psyduck, but I’d never be able to collect all Psyduck’s trophy cards, so maybe not.

7 Likes

I’m am personally on a quest to collect all of Dialgas card in PSA 8+. Focused on Japanese first, if I want to do English later I will but I’m not getting any English until I make that determination. (Except for the call of legends holo, which is English exclusive art to my knowledge).

Dialgas design and power and legendary status really drew me to it, even though I’ve only played a little of the DP games, I really got to get used to it more in PLA, including it’s Origin Forme which is totally rad!

Tons of great art for Dialga and almost all holographic cards means a fun hunt! So far I’m up to 6 cards, and I’m enjoying the journey so far!

Here’s a pic of some of the progress!

11 Likes

I’ve seen your stuff on the Dialga Registry! You have a good start! I’m up to 93.48% complete for mine (Yet still #2 :expressionless:), and its been quite the journey, but that’s half the fun!

4 Likes