What does everyone collect?

New to the forum!
But i am sure I have recently bought from many of you!!

I was wondering what everyone collects?
Do we have set builders? Folks who collect a specific Pokémon?
Folks who buy a little of everything?

I am just getting into Pokémon ( as a way of collecting with my 7 year old son)- these boards are great and have such useful info!

I figured I would ask what everyone collects!
Me- I started off small- I am trying to build the 1999 base set first edition in psa 10. I figured- if you are gonna have a goal… you might as well have a goal!!

Ps- I also love hidden fates and open a ton with my son ( just sent in 25 to psa with the last quarterly special).

I look forward to trading with you all. Thanks for all of the great info shared here!
Matt

7 Likes

I collect Mews mostly, but have some random PSA and raw cards that I like as well :blush: I have all of the unique Japanese artworks right now, but I’m expanding cause you can never stay complacent ya feel?

also,

that’s a hell of a goal!

5 Likes

pokemon cards

23 Likes

Chris is very specific!

Thanks!

I am assuming you just have so many favorites that you don’t limit your collection to a set?? Makes sense… after all… gotta catch em all!

I collect WOTC, really just the gen 1 cards (base-gym and some of the promos). I am interested in set completion as well as deck building and playing, primarily base-fossil format.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum! Good luck on your PSA 10 goal, that will be an exciting journey for us to follow along with you!

I collect a bit of everything but right now I’m focused on cards of Rotom, sealed Japanese product and just recently PSA 10’s.

You’ll have to share some of your collection with us when you’re ready!

:blush:

You beat me to it!

2 Likes

What don’t I collect

5 Likes

I’m currently collecting older cards I missed out on when I started collecting as a kid. Mostly wotc cards but anything else I remember seeing and loving but was unable to get for whatever reason. I have recently started doing a psa 10 shadowless set and hope to add a few more 1st editions if I see a good deal.

I’m pretty recently back into collecting so it will take some time haha.

Working your way from older sets to newer ones (or vice versa) that you may not have collected or seen previously can be very fun and exciting. You’ll find cards you’ve never seen that you think are pretty awesome!

1 Like

Right now a bit of everything as long as the price is right. But mostly numberless topsun cards and any mint no rarity japanese base set if I can find them but they are almost never mint. Also toyota pikachus, carddass '97 if the price is right (I already have a ton of '96 graded so working on '97 now), McDonald’s promos, and fukuyama postcards but I can never find the first set from '98 so I’m just on the lookout for those. Also been picking up a lot of PSA 9 1st edition base commons/uncommons.

1 Like

Cards with unique artworks as well as nostalgic cards from my youth. Mostly focused on Japanese cards, but I do venture into English from time to time. Big Tomoaki Imakuni fan as well, he’s legit the coolest human Pokémon mascot ever.

Toenails

1 Like

Mainly vintage MTG and Pokemon :3

Whatever I like and whatever catches my eye. Only Japanese and English so far but I’d like to branch out into Korean or Chinese sometime soon for the personal connection. Don’t collect sets since that entails buying cards I don’t like but I did do the Shinies from Hidden Fates since that was cheap/fun when I was doing it. Not cheap anymore though haha

Welcome to the pursuit! I also collect with my son, a 3rd grader. Before the pandemic, we would visit local card shops and flip through bulk together, searching for first editions in Base, Jungle and Fossil. Not a bad deal at 10 cents each, even in LP condition, and kind of a fun activity to do together. We’ve completed about half the checklist of each of those sets, with multiples of several cards. He likes it.

My more serious collecting focus is on pre-TCG Japanese sets, some Carddass and TopSun but primarily the 1997 Tomy Scratch Cards. I’m working on completing sets of series1 and series2 (unscratched), which requires a lot of importing from Japan and may take a while. Majomaal did a really great comprehensive summary of this set here: www.elitefourum.com/t/tomy-1997-pockemon-scratch-card/21642/1

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

1 Like

I’m not really collecting anything specific these days. I’ve pretty much just turned into a hoarder of anything that gives me a little nostalgic boner.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned what I collect in multiple threads before but for anyone who didn’t see. I collect the following. Wotc 1st edition holo’s, Shinings, E series holo’s and Crystal’s, Ex era ex cards and some holo’s, Level X’s, Primes, Full arts, Rainbow Rares, Gold Cards, Secret Rares, Shiny cards, Hidden Fates, and the list continues as new sets come out. I try to collect from every era and set but only what I like the best from each set. Will expand more as the years pass but I decided to skip anything I’d consider bulk from sets. O and as far as condition I collect anything light played to mint or graded. I just don’t like cards with extreme whitening or crease’s/ dents or heavy scratches. 1-4 max whitening dots doesn’t bother me

Welcome to the forums! Wicked cool that you collect with your son!

6 Likes

Right now in pokemon I’m collecting some of my favorite EX series cards and am working on an EX dragon binder set. In terms of favorite species, I love collecting Tyranitars and have most of the ones I want in PSA 10. I also collect vintage MTG.

But cards are only my side hobby, my main collecting is in vintage fashion. My collection primarily focuses on designs by Nicholas Ghesquiere (Formally lead designer at Balenciaga from 1998-2012, now head of women’s fashion at Louis Vuitton) and Rick Owens. My Rick Owens collection is my real pride and joy and is notable for the number of examples of Owens’ early work (ca. 1994-2001), which are very hard to come by/identify.
Basically my apartment is filled to the brim with clothing racks and bins. Really makes me appreciate how small a PSA case is

2 Likes