Which sets do you collect?

Given the overwhelming number of sets in existence, and the price points, most collectors can realistically only choose a small number of sets to complete in any decent condition. Since I like to go chronologically, this has left me stuck close to the beginning - about 50% of my collection is base, fossil, and jungle, with exceptions. Yet people buy cards from all kinds of eras, and I doubt these collectors have everything that came before, so people are obviously not as chronological as I am and I wonder - how do you choose which sets you want to collect?

In any case if people are willing to share, it would be cool just to know which sets people have, and/or are working on right now. I feel like people collect in such different ways and it’s fun to see.

As for real sets (not including trophy-like cards, mini-sets, or miscellaneous interesting cards), I have:
1997 Carddass Part 3+4
1st Edition Base Set (some replaced with shadowless this year)
1st Edition Jungle
1st Edition Fossil
WoTC Black Star Promos
Generation 8 first releases by pokedex number

Most of this was from when I started in 2015. Prices now are a bit out of my league :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently working on: Filling a few holes in existing sets that I sold; looking at other generations by pokedex number, possibly a japanese gen 2.

6 Likes

My main collection consists of:

* Unnumbered Promo Cards from 1996-2001 ~ bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

* Vending Machine cards (Completed / unpeeled)

* WOTC Era Black Star Promos

* Obscure/rare/random promotional cards/items I can find (i.e. teach cards) which I find interesting.

I’m debating whether or not to start collecting Base, Jungle and Fossil or simply make a binder with my favourite cards for each of the Pokemon from the 1st and 2nd gen accordingly (I don’t collect anything 3rd gen and up).

I’ve basically lost all motivation to continue finding good deals and additions to the collection, prices have gone to hell, sellers think their mutilated cards on Y!J are “lightly played” and think anything unpeeled or sealed is worth 120,000+ JPY… ridiculous, it’s the thrill of the hunt what’s gone now, it was good while it lasted though.

3 Likes

At the moment just Shadowless cards, but always open to other sets if I find deals!

Set wise I have had:

• Complete PSA 7 new cert shadowless set
  • Complete Neo Desinty Shining Set

Singles, I collect a lot if I like the art (eg. Crystal Golem from skyridge, my fave artwork).

3 Likes

As much as I would enjoy having set binders to look through, I don’t collect sets. I don’t like spending any money on filler cards I don’t like. I enjoy slabs, and collect pretty much exclusively 1st ed. (English and Japanese) artists, artwork, and species I’m drawn to. Sets I focus on the most:

Aquapolis (I think the best overall artwork of any vintage English set), along with Skyridge and Expedition with a focus on high grade reverse holos. Silver bordered ex cards, PLAY promos, Vs series, and early Japanese non-TCG like Carddass and Topsun no number blue backs. Oh and No Rarity.

Other than about 10-15 specific species I focus on (not Charizard), I also tend to end up with a lot of Masago, Nishida, Komiya, Ueda, and Umemodo card arts. Arita, Himeno and Sugimori go without saying.

Having great fun with the new alt arts and the new Pokémon artists are just ridiculously good overall.

5 Likes

My main goal is to complete the numbered promos from /P to /L-P. I do however also collect a lot of unnumbered promos from all eras. I am also working on completing all lv x cards, which are my nostalgia ultra rares. Furthermore, if I see cards/items I like (if I can afford them) I will buy them too, mostly just cards with nice arts. I recently bought the cloyster from ex fire red/leaf green, which is just one of the prime works of Kusube imo.

3 Likes

I collect alot of the Base, Jungle, Fossil cards.
Currently working on a complete 1st Edition Neo Destiny set.

1 Like

To start from the beginning I originally collected every Wotc first edition Holo for my binder, E series, ex’s from ex era, level Xs, primes, black and white and x and y full arts, every rainbow rare and gold card from sun and moon and sword and shield. Sense then I’ve been selling off a decent amount of cards to try to further my graded collection faster.

So now my main collection consists of: First edition Neo Destiny PSA 9 Holo set, Shining Celebi, Steelix, and Tyranitar. Looking to complete this set currently. Check my buylist.

Working on all Expedition holos in PSA 9 but I still need a ton.

I completed all the Aquapolis holos and crystals in PSA 9. Very challenging goal but finally finished. 5th on PSA set registry now. Espeon is a PSA 10 tho :slight_smile:

Also completed All 32 Skyridge holos in PSA 9. I also have Crystal Celebi, Ho-oh, and Kabutops holos in 9s as well. Just need that Zard, Crobat, and Golem.

As far as how did I choose I just went with the sets with the best artwork in my opinion.

7 Likes

In terms of set cards, I just collect shadowless and early WOTC because that’s what I grew up collecting. Otherwise, I mostly focus on JP promos.

OP, I think you make a good point that there are so many sets to choose from. In 10 years, this will be even more true. More than the set, I try to collect cards that I enjoy and that will still be relevant in 10 years.

3 Likes

I don’t collect any specific sets. I’ve always operated under the mantra of, do I think the art is cool? When grading fees were $7-$10 for PSA it was really easy to build up a graded collection of just whatever cards I liked.

Now I mainly focus on Japanese exclusive promos and Full Art trainer cards but still will grab anything that looks nice, it just may sit in my “grade eventually” pile for a long time.

4 Likes

I collect the following right now:* Master Set of EX Dragon Frontiers in all languages (English and Japanese done)

• Gen 3 championship cards
  • Dream League Secret Rare PSA 10’s (only need to upgrade one from 9 to 10 to be done)
  • Marshtomp reverse EX Dragon (ENG, want as many as possible)
  • Togekiss cards (ENG done)
  • Torterra cards (ENG done)
  • Alolan Raichu cards (ENG done)
  • Kartana cards (ENG+JPN done)
  • Chimecho cards (ENG almost done)
  • POP3 holo Minun and Plusle (ENG done when the binder is full)

I think that’s it atm

4 Likes

I’m also not really a set collector, but I have goals of PSA 9/10s of the following. In a perfect world, the only ungraded cards I would own would be the ones in my grading pile :blush:

Neo Shinings (Unlimited)
Original exs (set cards and promos)
Primes
Gold stars
XY full arts
Shining Legends Shinings
SwSh Gold Pokemon Cards
SwSh Alernate Arts

There are other cards I would love to have, like Crystals or some E series cards, but they’re not as high a priority. If 1st ed base takes a tunble and I can afford PSA 9, will probably go for that because it’s so iconic.

Will

3 Likes

I don’t do much social media, but it blew my mind when I saw some of your ig posts and noticed binder man mcorey had converted to slab man mcorey. You have been on an absolute tear from what I can tell. Welcome to the dark side! I’m sure you still enjoy the hell out of your binders, but I think you did the long term value of your collection a huge favor by getting down with the graded game. Congrats on your impressive collecting goals progress.

1 Like

@gengaranimal Thanks abunch! Definitely has been coming together nicely! Had to come back and make a wtb thread because eBay seems to be drying up on the cards I want. It also doesn’t help due to the sets I choose. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve sold quite a few slabs this past year to fund home renovations and another hobby. There are 2 shadowless cards and an Alex Ovechkin Young Guns that I can’t part with, no matter what. But what I was surprised to realize is that I’m not willing to sell my Double Crisis binder. XY means nothing to me, but man, I love that set! Finding the reverse holos that I didn’t pull myself in NM/Mint condition was surprisingly more challenging than I expected.

Right now I only collect one set: Korean Double Crisis. After I opened a booster box a few years back I was only missing a single card, which is why I want that single missing card to complete it. :wink: The only other sets I have complete are the Vending Machine Series 3 (Green) and for non-TCG the 1997 Carddass Parts 3+4 that you mentioned.

Although most already know, here an overview of what I collect and why I barely have any completed sets:

1. Pikachu TCG in all languages and variations, up to February 27th, 2021 (25th Pokémon Day). I’m currently missing just 12 out of 1431 officially released Pikachu cards. But including misprints, autographed cards, unofficial releases, etc. I currently own 1629 unique Pikachu TCG cards, with 10 more incoming.
  2. Seviper TCG in all languages and variations. This collection is 100% complete. (And a.f.a.i.k. still the only 100% completed single Pokémon collection in all languages in the world - although I know some collectors whom are very close with just 1 or 2 missing cards.)
  3. Seviper non-TCG collection (non-TCG cards; stickers; figures; pogs; coins; tags; DVDs; posters; etc. etc., basically anything featuring a Seviper, unless it’s something featuring the entire third gen). I’m currently waiting for stuff to arrive, since I haven’t really shared this collection yet. There are still a few Seviper items I’m still looking for, though.
  4. Moltres WotC #21 promo in all languages and variations: raw, sealed, and graded. I currently have the sealed Japanese 1st edition Pokémon Web pack incoming with a Moltres, so I’m only missing the sealed variations with Swedish and Danish inserts to 100% complete this collection.
  5. English and Japanese exclusive Full Art Supporter cards. Although I’m waiting for some cards to arrive, it’s also one of my 100% completed collections. Now I just try to keep up with new releases.
  6. Ancient Mew PSA-10 sixtet. Currently waiting for the Korean version to arrive, then I will have all six versions in PSA-10, so this mini collection is also 100% complete.
  7. Swablu BREAKthrough 124/162 card in all languages and variations. This mini collection is also 100% complete.

And three collections I’ve mostly stopped, but might one day continue perhaps:

• National Index including all Forms & Shiny PokĂ©mon. This is complete excluding the Sword & Shield era of cards - both the entire generation 8, as well as any Shiny PokĂ©mon or forms for previous generations released during the SwSh era (although the thread isn’t completely up-to-date).
  • Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection. The non-misprinted portion is complete except for two rarities exclusively used for trophy cards. The misprinted portion is still ongoing, although I have most of the ones I wanted. Not all of them are added to the thread yet though…
  • Twisty puzzles. I’m mostly downsizing and selling puzzles, but I have bought one new puzzle last year. But apart from that exception this collection is at a standstill.

And one I’ve stopped a few years and also won’t continue:

• Mimikyu. I liked the PokĂ©mon in the anime when the Sun & Moon era started, but after a while I lost interest. I stopped the collection when the Team Up set was released, which contained four Pikachu Ultra/Secret Rares; four Mimikyu Ultra/Secret Rares + two non/Reverse Holo; and ten Full Art Supporters. A bit too much at the time, especially since both Pikachu and Mimikyu had eight active languages at the time (we have eleven active languages now… :unamused: )

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

Honestly, just whatever catches my eye.

When I first got back into the hobby in early 2017, I collected WOTC (just like everyone else who re-enters the hobby after a long hiatus). But now, I collect whatever I like.

I will say, though, that I have been collecting almost exclusively Japanese cards for the last year. I’m over English for the time being.

3 Likes

Strictly an English set card and sealed collector but not a set completionist. English Base to pre-delta EX, with a continued emphasis on my favorite sets: Base-Jungle-Fossil holy trinity, Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery and a melange of EX. Variations wherever applicable, I care little for straight unlimited except Base (my nr 1) and Neo Genesis (my nr 2).

I’m the kind of guy that would often rather buy another copy of my favorite item than buy a copy of my second favorite item. I’ve been told I’m a very particular person.

Things I may venture into at some point: No Rarity, VS, Trainer B Blastoises, BW Shiny’s and Japanese Unlimited E-Series holos.

3 Likes

English master sets of everything, minus Worlds/IC placement cards (top X, finalist, champion, etc.). My favorite area there is collecting all the promo variations.

After I’m 100% caught up with English, I’d like to finish all the fun Japanese sets like VS and the Vending series.

4 Likes

I don’t collect any sets in specific but my goal is to try and get all of the alternate art cards.

4 Likes

Complete set of wotc black star promos in Psa 9/10.

Spent a while since finishing it trying to figure out what to collect next because I really enjoy different Japanese cards but can’t stop myself from thinking I need an entire set even if I just want a few of the cards. Working on VS series PSA 10 Holo set now.

3 Likes