Calling all Species Collectors! What is your hunt?

Thanks! How are you still 2nd with those numbers?? Haha that’s incredible

3 Likes

I have like 5 cards registered and I’m 2nd place already haha

3 Likes

Psa 10 salamence collector here. I focus on english and japanese. I have about 30 unique salamence psa 10s right now, but currently im on a break from collecting. Hoping to get back collecting soon and add more to my pile. Cheers guys

9 Likes

:rofl:
Another passionate collector with deeper pockets…

We’ve gone back and forth a bit on who is #1 as we added more that PSA didnt originally have on the list. But he has all the Jumbos and I refuse to pay $105 a “card” to grade them.

10 Likes

The only Pokémon that I do an active species collection for is Flareon. I am very content with where my collection is at, I recently hit my primary goal of getting the best (in my opinion) version of each Flareon art in PSA 9 or better.

I’m not sure what my future goals look like beyond keeping it up to date. The only card I feel that’s an upgrade would be supplementing my English Flareon VMax Alt Art with the Japanese Lottery version. I doubt I’ll ever make that move as spending the money for that upgrade isn’t something I feel comfortable with

11 Likes

I collect Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff items.

In the TCG department, I’m sticking to English and Japanese for now, but I’m open to other languages in the future. I’m happy to have tracked down pretty much all of the scarcer unlimited Japanese cards–I just found the unlimited Dragon Blade Jumpluff last week! Luckily, there aren’t any incredibly rare ones (aside from ones that only exist in mythology). I only have the unlimited The Town on No Map/Japanese Aquapolis holo left to acquire, but I’m in no rush to get it, as they are more readily found.

I guess my true grail cards for the collection would be the E3 Expo, sample, and hole-punched Expedition Hoppip cards (you can learn about them here, but replace Hoppip for Pichu), but, at the moment, they are more than I’m willing to spend on a single card for now, so I don’t mind not having them in the collection. At the moment, I haven’t left any space for them in my ordered binder.

I also collect non-TCG items, mostly sticking to flat items for now (no figures–though they are really cute). I find that non-TCG keeps things exciting because there’s so much out there, and there’s a bit of a hunt for some items.

I also very briefly started putting together small collections of Chinchou and Wooper (with the intent of expanding to Lanturn and Quagsire later), but these aren’t a priority for now. I’ll probably just stick to just TCG for these other buggers.

10 Likes

I collect Gyarados. My goal is every tcg release from 1996-2002 in every language and variant. I will say I’m over 75% complete but some cards are very hard to come by. My biggest goal would be a Snap Gyarados, but it may be an impossible task.

14 Likes

Hopefully one day for the snap card!
Can I ask why up to 2002?

4 Likes

Cos for me it’s the golden era of Pokémon. It’s the most nostalgic. I stopped collecting as a child when Ruby and Sapphire came out, so gen 3 is something odd to me ( even tho I played emerald when I was in college and thanks to Pokemon Go now Aggron is my third favorite Pokémon).

Basically I call modern to anything past 2003 (yeah I’m like that).

8 Likes

Haha dang. Not the jumbosssssss. I avoid those too, feel you there

4 Likes

I collect a couple of species but the most expensive one is celebi. I’ve got many of the big hitters already including the championship arena.

I really want the japanese celebi ex promo separate from the unseen forces one so I can have one just on my celebi page. And Ill just pretend the master key just doesnt exist. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I have some ready if PSA ever does a Jumbo special, but I don’t have much interest in Jumbos so I just have to accept 2nd for the time being. I have a couple things at PSA right now that if he doesn’t add anything else will put me back on top. As frustrating as it is, I am actually thankful for competition because it has driven me to find variants PSA didn’t have to try and get an edge and to keep an eye out more on harder to find stuff.

5 Likes

I’m an Arceus and Ekans collector (and a little Arbok too)!
When it comes to Arceus I mostly focus on JPN cards, especially the Advent of Arceus type holos. I’m hoping to have a graded copy of every card besides the design promos

This is a little out of date but here’s my slab display! The majority of these I’ve graded myself. I’ve since gotten the fire AofA in a 10 and the dream shine 035 in a 10 as well. I also have my binder where my goal is to have all the arts and cameos (besides designs) in English and Japanese, including full pages of all the AofA JPN holos. Here’s a couple pages of it

My Ekans collection I only just started, so I don’t have pics yet, iou. For the cards, I collect both Ekans and Arbok and focus on English. Since there aren’t many Ekans cards and cameos, I’m collecting other trinkets and oddities like stamps and stickers and figures, that sorta thing. Ekans is my favorite Pokémon so I’m very excited about starting this collection! :snake:

11 Likes

Very cool! Arceus I would imagine would have a ton of cards out there, lots of promos and all. What made you decide to collect those two? Always love hearing why people pick what they chose to collect.

4 Likes

I’ve completed all main marill azumarill and azurill (eng/Jp/all variations) TCG collection. I’ve stopped collecting cameos as the last ones are too expensive.

At the moment I’m aiming for PSA 9 / 10 of the first appearance of all three. I’ve submitted 5 freshly peeled corocoro marills, the best I’ve got back is 1 9 all others have been 8s, the centering is so bad on these! I’ve got one more at PSA at the moment, fingers crossed!

I might start a Dedenne TCG collection soon, I like graded cards but I don’t get as much enjoyment collecting them

8 Likes

I love snakes and ekans is the snakiest of them all, my favorite Pokémon, and very nostalgic for me!
Arceus is more complicated, here’s my copypasta from the discord:
i became an arceus collector by accident. i saw the AofA holos and fell in love instantly and started to hoard them. then i decided to collect the level Xs too since they had the same holo. then i started collecting the movie promos and and started to make a binder. then i figured i should start collecting the other cool non-set arceus cards. then i figured since i came this far i may as well collect all the arceus cards. and thats what i did.
they just couldnt believe that somebody would do all that collecting for no particular reason. i just felt like collecting

6 Likes

ORKYYYYU love your collection. Keep it up bro, can’t wait to see the ekans binder

5 Likes

It’s interesting that less popular Pokémon create issues for finding the variants (ex era serial number codes, unlimited, etc). The value isn’t there so people don’t bother posting them for sale. Most copies are buried in a bulk box never to be seen for a public sale.

But a popular Pokémon with high demand is much easier to find. Every copy is either for sale or in a collection.

8 Likes

I’ve learned to list everything. Because somebody somewhere will be looking for it now or eventually.

7 Likes

Nice. Competition does help achieve goals, hope you can complete it all someday!

4 Likes