Looking for information on my childhood collections

Hi! I was advised by a friend ( @dromanyte ) to ask this here as I’m looking for information on two Pokémon related collections from my childhood, specifically about what’s their value.

The first is of Pokémon STAKS. They are little magnets with collector numbers and I have the original binder for them. I have them all.

The second is of Pokémon KRAKS. They are plastic toys, also with collector numbers and a plastic “casing” of sorts and a cardboard box for that casing. I also have them all.

If anyone knows something regarding this, let me know! Also, I think they are very unusual Pokémon products to have as full collections from what I gathered xD, so it’s cool to just share them :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m here because I see the “panini” logo on something that didn’t see the light here and that alone is enough for disappointing me.

Making a quick search on eBay they are quite cheap, I wouldn’t spend more than 200/250€ for each complete set.

I mean, buying in bulk you can hypotetically reach a full collection with around that price in mind.
I didn’t further search if every staks/kraks is available atm on the platform, but I think it’s just a matter of time finding them all a bit at a time

2 Likes

I remember these! I have one for johto and the release of gen 2. Mine is all in French though, but I do have some English somewhere too. I was obsessed with Pokémon as a kid and during a family vacation to France I couldn’t find any WOTC stuff. Panini was the company that made premier league, euros and World Cup football (soccer) sticker albums which I obsessively collected as a kid too.

Not knowing any French but knowing the Panini brand, combined with not finding any WOTC stuff in France, I pestered my parents for these at every store we went to haha. Never seen the ones you posted before but I think I had moved onto Yugioh long before it came out.

3 Likes

Pokémon Staks:

There were three different main sets for these magnets, as well as a small set of ten:

• Johto, released in 2002. They came in packs of 4: three non-holos and 1 holo. For this set there were a total of 261: the original two generations of Pokémon (251), as well as 10 characters. This set was released in multiple languages: English, French, and German (the Italian and Spanish Pokémon names are the same as in English). Here a (French) PDF that contains all of them.
  • P’tit Louis cheese mini set, a French-exclusive promo set that was also released in 2002. One Staks magnet came with every P’tit Louis cheese package, containing ten different Pokémon from the first generation. Here again a (French) PDF that contains all ten of them.
  • Pokémon Advanced, released in 2003. This set contained 200 Pokémon, and an additional 9 characters. Although this set was released in multiple countries again, all Staks from this set were in English, even those released in France and Germany. Here again a (French) PDF that contains all of them.
  • The third main set, simply named Pokémon Staks, was released in 2006. This set contains 240 Pokémon Staks from the first three generations. Unlike the previous sets, these Pokémon Staks also represented weight, size, type, and evolution stage, whereas the previous sets only contained the names and a collection number. This set is again only available in English, despite being released in multiple countries. Here again a (French) PDF that contains all of them.

Source for all of this: Eternia.fr.

The set you have with the Deoxys binder is the third main set.

As for a potential value, I’m honestly not sure. But here are some complete sets currently available to give an idea (keep in mind that these are available prices, not actual sold prices):

Pokémon Kraks:

• There is just a single set, released in September 2006. It contained 120 Pokémon Kraks from the first three generations of Pokémon in total. These came in a lot of different colors however, including: transparent, yellow, orange, red, purple, lilac, brown(ish), blue, turquoise, green, and neon-yellow. Just like the later sets of the Pokémon Staks mentioned above, they were only released in English, despite being released in multiply countries (England; France; Italy; Spain; etc.). They were sold as little packs containing three Pokémon Kraks, and a Kraks launcher to play a game. Here again a French PDF with all of them.

And again from the same source: Eternia.fr.

PS: Your set technically isn’t complete, since you have two Latios and are missing - my favorite Pokémon - Seviper, no. 109 in the set. :sweat_smile:

As for value, here again some links of currently available full sets:

In my experience, some colors are a lot easier to find for certain Pokémon than others. I only look for Seviper, and I’ve seen yellow, neon-yellow, and lilac 10+ times each; red and transparent 5+ times each; yet I’ve only seen the green and brown(ish) ones once each (which I’ve both bought fortunately :slight_smile: ), and have yet to see any of the other colors I mentioned earlier for Seviper. :frowning: (If anyone sees a Seviper Kraks in orange, purple, blue, or turquoise, please lmk.)

Greetz,
Quuador

16 Likes

Thank you so much for the input!

These are great! I had no idea they made it for Jhoto too. I also used to collect the football stuff ahahah

What an in-depth response, I truly appreciate it!

I didn’t even notice the missing Seviper and the double Latios, thank you for spotting that!

I’ll also keep an eye out for those Seviper borders :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only noticed because Seviper is my favorite Pokémon, otherwise I would have missed it too. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

This post alone is perfect for the non-tcg tag.
Another wonderful job, sir.
Thanks for supporting the cause

2 Likes

Added it good sir

1 Like

You never cease to amaze me! Super interesting that a lot of your sources are French, because I have vivid memories of getting these on vacation there as a kid.

I have some actual WOTC cards in French from other previous vacations, but remember going once and literally only being able to find these and it seemed like everything else was gone.

Do you happen to know why these were so big in France it seems?

1 Like

No idea tbh. Panini is an Italian company, so I would have expected them to be the most popular in Italy, but when I look for Seviper Kraks (and Waps), I almost always come across them from French and Spanish sellers, and almost never Italian or UK sellers where they were released as well (a.f.a.i.k.) - I’m not sure what other countries they were released in tbh.

As for this French source, I actually came across it by accident before dinner today when I was trying to search which sets there were for the Pokémon Staks, since the set @Kob showed in his/her pictures didn’t contain the Seviper I have, so I knew there had to be more than one set.
It’s actually a great source, and I’ve learned some new things myself writing my comment above. :smiley: I still have it on my TODO list to post all my non-TCG Seviper stuff (stickers, pogs, posters, etc., including these Staks, Kraks, Wapps, Metal Tags, Action Flipz, Lamincards, Amada stickers, etc. etc.), similar as what I’ve already done for my Seviper plushies and figures.
But more stuff keeps coming in, and it’s difficult to find information on some of these items, so I haven’t made the time for it yet…

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Awesome!!! Many thanks Quuador for all this information!!!
It’s always interesting to learn new things about collectibles.
Honestly I’ve never seen those products from Panini before, so I told Kob to ask here. Thanks for everything!!!

3 Likes

Small correction from yesterday: in my search for the different Seviper colors today, I think there are actually 15 (possibly 16) colors for Pokémon Kraks in total: turquoise; dark green; transparent; dark brown; green; blue; dark purple; orange; brown; red; purple; dark red; (light red??); lilac; neon-yellow; and yellow.

The only one I’m not sure about is the red Scyther/Beautifly vs red Squirtle/Totodile/Croconaw. But since the seller who took these pictures separated every color, and I’ve seen some Seviper I wasn’t sure were red or lilac, I think it’s a distinct 16th color.

Either way, trying to find all of these colors for a single Pokémon is gonna be a pain… :weary: If 16 is correct, I’m not even halfway through for Seviper (I have 5 with 2 more incoming), and some of these colors I have yet to even see for Seviper.

Inb4 someone trying to get all 1920 of them (16 colors times 120 Pokémon Kraks), haha. :sweat_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

These remind me of pokemon keshi and metal figures, some real sadists making these sets :sweat_smile:

1 Like