BGS to PSA Cross Grading Question

Hi all,

I recently picked up this BGS 9 1st Ed Mewtwo from a friend for a good price after the winning heritage bidder didn’t pay up. I was planning on cross grading it to PSA simply because that’s what the rest of my graded collection is.

If you look at the card directly from the front and back the edges look good but when you tilt it just right, and the light hits the right edge from a certain angle it is very shiny.

From what I understand this is a common issue with Jungle cards because the blade was dull when cut.

I am only interested in cross grading it to an equal or higher grade so I’m curious on everyone’s opinion if it has a chance at a PSA 9 or if trying to cross it would be a waste of time?

Thanks

This type of silvering is not likely to downgrade the card to a PSA 8. I would worry more about surface scratching and print lines. Back edges and corners look quite good.

Just note that crossover grading is absolute trash because the grader will be biased. I recommend cracking the slab and submitting the card raw if you truly believe that it is PSA 9 quality.

3 Likes

Its got good subgrades. Id send it in in the case. If it wont cross then think about cracking or send again. @dyl is definitely right about bias it has an affect consciously or subconsciously.

1 Like

Thanks! I was curious if the silvering is considered ‘edge wear’ The bias was another concern of mine.

Graders will vary, but generally front edge silvering is less serious than back edge whitening.