1st Ed Charizard BGS9+ to PSA

Hey all!

So I was wondering everyones thoughts about trying to cross grade my BGS 9+ to PSA. One reason would be that a majority of my collection will be in PSA, and I started the master set on PSA registry. I really do like the protection that BGS provides but having different cases kind of bugs me. Second reason is that PSA seems to hold more value then BGS in the Pokémon market (not that I’d sell).

So do you think if I cross graded this card to PSA? what grade to you think it’d get? I honestly think it’s a solid card, maybe even a 10? The only flaw I can see is the white on the bottom left corner…i’ve seen plenty of 10’s with the same whitining.

Just want to see what the Pokémon experts think. Would you even dare crack it? I don’t see myself ever doing so, but having a 9 already, I’d see small hope they bump it.

Thanks for any comments!

PSA tends to be much more surface critical than BGS in my experience. If you have more than a few visible scratches, prepare for an 8.

1 Like

If I were you, I would cross it over to PSA. The only added value bgs would create for something like this is if you pulled off a 9.5. I would say from looking at this card you have about a 30% chance of getting a psa 10. Also, please remove your card from the bgs registry if you decide to crack it open. That will help preserve the integrity of the grade pop. Good luck to you!

2 Likes

JJ: I can’t see any visible scratches anywhere. I keep trying to look for anything that brought it to a 9 surface for BGS.

Degreen11: I really don’t think I’d ever crack it. I’m a big MJ collector for BGS with a lot of Cards I think should be higher, but I keep them intact. I’m usually not too into upgrades or anything. The difference in this card is just insane though.

Thanks for both your inputs!

1 Like

The BGS grader who graded your card found at least 6 points of deduction so keep that in mind. Just from pictures, which is impossible to determine a grade, it looks to be a weakish PSA 9 at best. Also its pretty safe to assume that every BGS graded 1st Edition Zard has made at least 10 trips to PSA looking for a bump in it’s lifetime lol.

These are good points.
Keep in mind, surface problems can’t be seen through those BGS cases and bags.
Still, I would try to cross it over intact with a minimum 10 requirement cause those BGS subgrades are worth more than a PSA 9.

I would send it as a PSA crossover minimum grade of 9 personally if you think it actually has any shot at a 10 and given your preference for PSA cases anyways. If it doesn’t meet PSA 9 standards at minimum then it will stay a BGS 9. If it is a PSA 9 or 10 then it will become one.

It’s essentially a ~$150 gamble in grading and shipping fees (super express level) as PSA 9 > BGS 9 and the supposed slim chance at PSA 10 >>>>>> BGS 9 though I feel skeptical that it has too good of a shot at PSA 10 given it’s subgrades.

How does crossing over work for cards that are already BGS graded? Is it possible to send the BGS encapsulated card? If so, how does PSA handle the situation if you submit with a minimum grade? I would think they would need to open the case to grade, so it wouldn’t be returned in the BGS case regardless of the grade (and therefore would need to be sent back to BGS for another case).

Yes.

They grade it from what they see through the case and only crack it if they are confident it will be at least your minimum grade or higher. Not the best scenario obviously but I’ve done it both ways and it’s been pretty successful. BGS ==> PSA and PSA ==> BGS. Cracking a multi thousand dollar card yourself isn’t ideal either which is why I suggested this option.

Got it. Have you ever had a situation where you had a case cracked but the card ultimately did not meet the minimum grade?

@crow not yet but I think they mention on their site a disclaimer that it is a distinct albeit rare possibility. It isn’t unreasonable to assume that even when a card looks to be PSA 9 through a case that the case could be obscuring some issue that once cracked they realize it isn’t what they thought it was overall. I’ve yet to hear it happening to anyone else either, but yeah there is definitely risk in this process.

@shizzlemetimbers , Thanks for your input! You really think that many people would send in cards to get bumps? If I had to bet, I’d say i would be the first to try crossing this card to PSA. If anything i’d think i would be sent back to BGS, trying to get that BGS 9.5.

@garyis2000 , I guess you would know better then anyone here, but I thought even my BGS+ was still well below PSA 9 prices at the moment. PSA 9’s are going well over $1,000 of what i paid for this card. :open_mouth: This card was picked up early June however, prices might have just increased across the board.

@gottaketchumall , Thank you for all the information! I have four BGS cards that might make their way to PSA. It will be interesting to see the before and after sending them off. It could give a good example of what happens if someone else decides to do so. Just as long as I get my BGS’s back if they don’t meet minimum, i’m happy!

@shoe Just tongue in cheek how no one really seems to collect BGS they just look for the crossover, best of luck with the regrade keep us posted if you decide to go ahead!

I don’t get how anyone even a professional can grade a card through a case? As mentioned above it is hard to assess a surface area through a case.

So what happens if they think it’s a 10 only to realise after they open it up that indeed it’s not as clean as they thought. Do they then still commit the their pee opened assessment? If so that doesn’t say much about the integrity of the company knowingly grading a lesser card higher due to a mistake.

I feel the only time people collect BGS is when it’s a 10 with 4 10 Subgrades. That is when I start to pick up cards but they are crazy expensive and are never on the market.

Mjisaacs

Great thread. I’m also considering a conversion myself. Should get a 9. Let’s hope. :confused:

It’s a nice card. As others have said, the 9 surface is a bit concerning…

Have you considered the option of trying to upgrade it to a 9.5? If they bump the surface subgrade to 9.5 you got yourself a gem mint card. Not quad/quad+ but still worth a premium over BGS/PSA 9. :blush:

1 Like