Cross grading 1st ed BGS to PSA

Hello,

I’m looking to cross grade my 1st edition Charizard BGS9++ to PSA. I’m mostly doing this cross over because 98% of my pokemon collection is PSA and its quite annoying to have this one of two outliers.

My question is: If I try and cross this over without cracking the BGS case, will this still be charged $500 grading fee for an item at $9,999?

What if it actually grades a 10? I’m assuming I’d have to pay the $2000 grading fee for items at 49,999? I wouldn’t mind paying this obviously, just trying to figure out how this works. I’d give it a 10% chance of a bump, so I really dont need to worry about this one.

Thanks for any info!

Send it in at a lower value tier and pay that grading. If it grades to a PSA 9 or PSA 10 (highly doubtful), PSA will notify you of the cost adjustment. pay it then.

@yz2428 Thanks, just trying to see how they go about this. If I need to pay $500 for a high 9 to become a 9…its gonna be a painful way to fix my irritation.

What are the subgrades? Usually a BGS 9 you should expect PSA 8 hopefully a 9. Considering it is a 1st ed Charizard there is already a high probability that it has already had a trip to PSA in it’s lifetime.

1 Like

Shizzle - I think you underestimate BGS 9’s… you should try subbing some cards with BGS, you might be surprised.

With those subgrades, I would recommend submitting in the BGS case. Don’t worry about the cost. Submit at the $200 level and you shouldn’t have any trouble.

2 Likes

@professoroakcali, There is a member here who tried crossing over a BGS9++ zard to PSA and it did not meet min 9 grade. To me when I see a BGS 9 especially a 1st Edition Charizard I automatically presume PSA 8. You always have to question why the card has not been crossed over when there is a huge bump if graded at PSA. It is like buying loose packs you assume they have been weighed, when buying a BGS zard you have to assume it has failed a crossover attempt at PSA.

You are mistaken. Last year, the BGS 9 1st ed Zard you are referencing did cross to a PSA 9, it’s a gorgeous card. I have also crossed over a BGS 9 1st ed zard to PSA 9 and numerous others.

Dont let your presumptions limit your opportunity to buy quality cards.

@shoe owns a gorgeous BGS 9 with strong subs, should have no trouble at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’ve sent two other BGS 9’s, and PSA agreed with the grade and I received a PSA 9.

I think your statement that a BGS 9 could be a PSA 8 is highly unlikely, just like a BGS 9 recieving a 10. Both are close on the higher grades.

(Edit: the seller that I bought this card from, also sent my the first subscription report, as he had this card for years before his first subscription to BGS)

To close out, I think PSA is more about eye appeal, and BGS is all about what the four sub grades equal.

1 Like

The last two I crossed.

1 Like

@professoroakcali , I’m not mistaken it was this one and it did not meet PSA 9 cross grade even if it did cross over to a PSA 9 on subsequent attempts doesn’t negate the fact that it was deemed below the PSA 9 at one point. I’m just highlighting that BGS to PSA is not so straightforward especially if the card is submitted in the case.

@shoe , Yeah no shade on your zard! Just talking generally that it is best to be cautious with BGS to PSA crossovers especially if submitting in the case you cracked your other two zards might be better chance of the 9 if you cracked it, no one selling a BGS 1st Edition Base zard will tell you that they have previously sent the card to PSA and it didn’t meet the minimum grade so always best to be overly critical.

1 Like