Crossing over PSA 10 to BGS 9.5+

Suppose you prefer BGS over PSA and have some hopes of pulling off a BGS 10…You’re going to search for strong PSA 10’s and cross them over to BGS;How would you go about it?
From what I’ve figured I don’t want to take the risk of cracking cases nor do I want a PSA 10 to come back as a BGS 9, so I figured it’s best to cross them over with BGS 9.5 as minimum grade listed.Do you think that it will work?I’m aware they may still come back as a BGS 9.5 basic which is worse than a PSA 10, but I would be happy with a BGS 9.5 quad already and anything higher is a bonus.
From what I’ve figured this method takes away most of the risk from me, where the only risk I’m taking is that they may become a BGS 9.5 basic; however, will BGS be able to grade them properly while still initially encased? In my opinion if you list BGS 10 as minimum they will never take the risk of cracking the slab, but minimum BGS 9.5 should give them enough leeway in my opinion.

I see you like losing money.

8 Likes

It’s not so much about money, I actually prefer BGS over PSA and the market might change in the future.

Do you have a good reason for saying the market “might” change? There are a lot of things in this world that “might” happen, but the fact of the matter is PSA has a stranglehold on the Pokemon collectors market and PSA 10s generally sell for double what BGS 9.5s are selling, so you must REALLY prefer BGS if you want to crossover your PSA 10s to BGS 9.5s.

Honestly, if you really just want to collect BGS 9.5s, you’re better off selling your PSA 10s and then buying cards from other people who are selling BGS 9.5s.

You’ll save yourself a ton of money… which you can use to buy even more BGS 9.5s!

5 Likes

Depending on which cards you’re looking for, I’ll gladly trade you BGS 9.5 quads for your PSA 10s!

I see you like money.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t count on the market changing. I don’t see many collectors ever going to BGS for two main reasons. BGS is more inconsistent with grades under a 9. BGS also authenticates almost any card (FPO, Square Cut) without doing research.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I feel like this thread is getting a bit side-tracked on the monetary discussion…
Ideally I’d put BGS 10 as a minimum grade when trying to cross over, but I don’t see a crossover happening because then BGS would need to be 100% certain it’s pristine before cracking it from the case and they cannot know that it’s pristine without seeing it raw. I feel like any min grade BGS 10 is just throwing money at BGS and never getting anything in return, with min grade 9.5 I feel like they feel safe enough to crack it open because they have the leeway between 9.5 and 10 and if needed they can give one 9.

2 Likes

If they crack, they already have the grade decided. They won’t crack it if they think it’s worth a 9.5, then see it raw and upgrade it to a 10. If you really want a 10, your best bet is to crack it ahead of time and submit.

2 Likes

They will probably crack the case with a 9.5 min, but there’s not much risk without the min either. If you prefer BGS cases and aren’t looking to sell, I’m curious what the risk is?

1 Like

I feel that there’s risk in cracking the case itself and accidentally damaging the card and the card somehow coming back as BGS 9, because grading is subjective.

2 Likes

I think bulbasaur is trying to give you some advice instead of sidetracking the thread. Crossing PSA 10s to BGS is extremely -EV if you’re looking to profit which you may not be.

it depends on which cards you’re talking about too. But there is heavy financial risk and the risk of cracking a 10 and causing any sort of tiny damage anywhere on the card. I would save the heartache and post a WTB thread

1 Like

Your cards will be fine sending as a crossover BGS 9.5.

I recently sent my cleanest crystal PSA 10 card to BGS for a crossover grade. I did put a minimum grade of Pristine 10 but as clean as the card is I doubt they will cross it. Generally they are more likely to 9.5 a card with decent sub grades than give a Pristine 10 crossover. With 9.5’s it’s all about the sub grades. A 9.5 Quad ++ is a good comparison to a PSA 10 but anything less the PSA 10 is the way to go IMO.

But if you ask me what do I prefer a Pristine 10 non black label or a PSA 10? I am going with BGS 100% of the time. I am honestly getting a little bored with my PSA 10 collection as they aren’t nearly as much of a challenge to find or grade compared to a BGS Pristine 10.

1 Like

A BGS quad-9.5 1st edition Lapras today sold for $415 the day after a PSA 10 1st edition Lapras sold for $1,650.

1 Like

Unless it’s a Japanese card (easy 10s) or the new english sets, you won’t get a BGS 10 anyway. Have you thought about just buying 9.5s and selling the PSA 10s?

I would trade your psa 10s for becketts 9.5s plus some cash :blush:

Yea, I just looked at that card it doesn’t look like a psa 10, more like a 9

I honestly wouldn’t go about the route of trying to exchange them. You’re going to lose out on a lot of money doing that. The few times I’ve submitted to BGS, I’ve done it via a lot of patience for the right kind of cards, buying 2 or 3, and then submitting them with some good success.

As a lot of others have already mentioned, however, when it comes to older or English sets, WOTC especially, it’s going to be a rougher road.

If PSA 10s are worth so much more than BGS 9.5, wouldn’t it make sense to try and buy high subgrade BGS 9.5 and cross them to PSA and hope for a 10?

I wonder how many BGS 9.5 would actually cross to PSA 10?