PSA 10 vs BGS 10 (GOLD)

Hey guys,

While the PSA vs BGS is a never ending debate and the black label is the most sough after, I was curious in terms of price and how the market values The gold label from Beckett.
The usual discussions always surround BGS 9.5 vs PSA 10. But would you pay more for a BGS Gold 10 vs that of a PSA 10?

I’m also asking because I’m in position of buying a modern card and I can see a BGS gold label 10 as a PSA 10. So I wanted to know what would be the better purchase.

For me it has always been black label 10 > PSA 10 > bgs 9.5. Just never thought where the gold label would fit in and would be equally or slight more/less valued as a PSA 10

Yes, maybe double or triple?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pay more for a BGS 10, but that’s only because I’ve never been a fan of their brick cases.

I think it should depend on the strength of the two grades!

I don’t know if this is some sort of meme or not but I was curious as I could find both at the price for a particular card I was looking to purchase and just wanted to educate myself a little more before I go ahead with a choice

3 10s with the centering being a 9.5. I believe if you don’t have 3 10s then it translates to a 9.5 no?

Quite a few modern cards get gold labels and even black labels easily. I’m not talking about those. Just today I was offered 240k for a gold label card that in a PSA10 is one third that amount.

2 Likes

I have never owned a BGS card so I wouldn’t know. Haha.

240k? Anyways I thought PSA is preferred for older cards as they were stricter but for modern BGS is more stricter and hence the higher costs of a black label. Just don’t know where the gold label fits

Solid offer for the BGS 10 Zard, I’d hold out for more though :wink:

2 Likes

It’s hard for me to let go of stuff even at fair market. It would be a world record but I just don’t know.

2 Likes

I think your two BGS 10 Zards are more the exception than the rule for various reasons.

1 - A BGS 10 label is the only way to elevate a PSA 10 1st edition Charizard, which of course is the most iconic card in the hobby and the most expensive set card by far.
2 - For many sets cards, people collect them as part of sets. So PSA 10s are more appealing to people looking for complete sets than BGS 10s (which isn’t a thing in complete sets for vintage stuff). Charizard is different than many set cards because there are so many people who just want that 1 card.
3 - For something like a trophy card, people aren’t going to pay that kind of premium for a BGS 10 because the main thing with these cards is just having them at all, there’s far less importance placed on having the highest grade.

So it doesn’t surprise me that your BGS 10 Zard can sell for 3x more than a PSA 10 Zard but I can’t think of any other card in which this would apply.

12 Likes

I find your insights extremely valuable and well thought out

Until a 3rd surfaces, that you don’t own, I would hold onto both since they are the only copies in the world.

Never known anyone not want anything else from a WOTC/ ex Dragon/ Dragon Frontiers etc set other then Onlyzard. :stuck_out_tongue:

thank you for the detailed response. That helps :blush:

Anyone ever attempt a cross from psa 10 to bgs 10? I’m assuming if you’re going for that high of a grade they wouldn’t allow an in case cross and would have to crack the card to get a proper look at the surface but I’m not sure.

BGS 10 on anything modern does not really mean much and probably shouldn’t go for more than a PSA 10 as the difference(if there even is any) is negligible

BGS 10 on vintage English is a different story and they definitely deserve their premium as its near impossible to get BGS 10s on wotc holos

BGS 10s on vintage Japanese is an interesting thing to think about though as the print quality was still great but obviously those cards are 20+ years old at this point

3 Likes

As far as I’m aware if the vintage cards were graded a long time ago (don’t know the exact year) but weren’t BGS very “giving” with those grades especially for Pokémon and those standards have only now increased and hence PSA is the standard for vintage. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure I read something similar on this forum and others

I once saw a video of Gary and leonhart (on his channel) where they physically went to BGS with their zard PSA 10s and asked BGS to grade and only remove from the PSA casing if it translates to a BGS 10 (spoiler alert it didn’t). So they definitely can look it over without removing it from the case. I just don’t know if that’s possible if you submit the case and not go in person

1 Like