Cross grading Question: 1st Ed Charizard Bgs9++!

Hello E4 friends! As some of you know, i’ve been looking for a PSA9 Charizard to complete my Holo set; and i finally bought one…but BGS!
I wasnt able to find a solid 9 for a decent price for weeks and bought this one, after talking a lot with the seller and getting solid pics/videos of it; card is minty minty; and now im on a huge dilema:
My set is PSA9; and now i got this BGS9++ Charizard.

What would you do in this scenario?
Friends of mine recommend me to send it; slabbed to PSA and try to get that PSA9; others say i should crack it and send it to PSA and take the chance for a 10 (wich i doubt).
And then, a good amount of people told me to keep it simple and just keep it like this.

What are your thoughs on this?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day, Octavio. :relieved:

I watched that one end on eBay, you got it for a fair price. For what you paid, you have little to lose and a lot to gain so I would definitely send it into PSA and specify a minimum grade of 9. Let them be in charge of cracking it.

1 Like

Go for it. The card looks like a solid PSA 9. You’d be better off buying a winning lottery ticket that hoping that Charizard comes back a ten. The centering if off just enough to keep it at the nine level.

1 Like

Hey, congrats on an awesome card! That said, I was also watching this auction and noticed that the back left edge has a lot of wear. That in addition to the nicks on the corners MIGHT cause PSA to give it an 8.5 overall. If I were to try sending it to PSA, I would send it for a cross with a minimum grade of 9 while still in the BGS case. I would not risk cracking it and receiving a lower grade. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Keep it slabbed, send it to PSA and specify Min grade 9. This option seems to be the best. We were thinking about it as the stronger chance.

Price wise, im really happy for how much i got it.

3 Likes

I thought that at first and wasnt going to bid on it; then seller contacted me (an e4 member) and sent me a full hd video of the card; the wear wasnt as bad as it seems and i decided i was going to do my best to get this card.

I thought cracking at first but then people let me know about sending it slabbed and specify a min grade of 9.

1 Like

Yeah, it isn’t that bad for sure. I’d say it’s a solid 9. But it’s bad enough that if you sent in the card raw it runs the risk of the grader being harsh on it. Good luck!

being honest, sendig it slabbed by BGS with those subgrades gives me ‘‘more chances of PSA9’’ or not at all?

Also, if the grader decides its a 9; cracks it, and see some imperfections, whats happening on that scenario?

Unless you plan on reselling, I just dont see the point. Most likely it already came from a PSA 8 case

4 Likes

Id keep it as is, it allows charizard to stand out from the rest of the holos :blush:

2 Likes

Id keep it in the case then send it with a min grade of 9. The only problems I see is the left edge on the back looks a bit rough and the back & front centering isn’t the best. If it was cracked and submitted I could see it coming back an 8 because of those 2 reasons. The holo looks really nice though, I can’t see any visible scratching. Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

2 Likes

Uploaded a video.

Min grades are the worst idea. Either send it in to get psa graded no matter the grade or just leave it in the BGS case. Nothing worse than getting a harsh grader to look at your card.

If you’re going to send it in, send it in the BGS case. They can crack the case for you and you’ll know it’ll be protected in shipment.

Not positive PSA would slap a 9 on this but I wouldn’t want them to anyway. I’d much rather have the BGS 9 with those subs than a straight PSA 9.

1 Like

.5 away from 9.5 Gem; this is what you mean Gary… I feel that

Yes, I have many 9.5, 9.5, 9, 9s and I would never cross to a PSA 9. I have sent them to crossover to a minimum grade of “10” but would never want a 9.

I would also just keep the BGS, very nice subs and great card!

Sent a message gary!

I had this Unlimited BGS 9 and tried to send it in as a minimum 10. Unfortunately it came back in the BGS case. With an Unlimited though, there is less to risk and more to gain; I probably should have just listed a minimum 9 and hope for a 10; because nothing would have been lost with my card. Your card though, is much more valuable, so the circumstances are different.

I think it is way to risky with already great subgrades to remove either of our cards from the slabs though. Never know what could happen between you breaking it open, mailing it again, etc.

If I were you, @pokemonargentina, leave it in the slab, and send it into PSA for a minimum 10. You literally have nothing to lose other than the price of sending in a re-grade.

Hey; thanks for replying with that amount of info! ill consider your opinion, good to know they didnt break the slab and sent it back to you.