Potential BGS to PSA 10 Charizard?

This is my very first base set Charizard card that I have bought since I have started collecting only a few months ago. I have looked this card over and over and I personally feel like it could be a 10 if I did a cross over. The only part of the card that I feel could hold it back is the smallest sliver of white on the bottom left edge. Its easy to tell that it isn’t your average case of normal edge wear. Rather it looks like it has to do with the results of how it was cut when printed. Other than that I cant find anything wrong with it. Maybe its slightly off in centering? What are your guys thoughts? Also based on your thoughts if you feel it should or could be a 10, should I crack and regrade or try and submit as is? I am a bit skeptical about cracking so I might just send as is but love to hear your guys thoughts. I don’t plan to cross it over right away since I just bought this card but I feel it could be worth it to get it done in the future. Your guys help is always appreciated :grin: PS: As you guys look the pictures over just want to point out that on the back of the card at the top left corner that area that looks like its scratched above the P in Pokemon is actually a piece of lint stuck in between the case and protective sleeve that BGS uses. Same thing for the area near the top right corner next to the N in Pokemon on the blue border where it looks like there is a dot that might be on the card.

Personally it does look like a 9 just looking at the left side. I would be happy with a 9.5 myself

2 Likes

In either case BGS 9.5 and PSA 10 you have a gem mint card on your hands.

Value wise BGS 10 > PSA 10 > BGS 9.5 > PSA 9 > BGS 9.

Most sellers know this and for many cards the value differential justifies taking a shot at trying the crossover for the next highest rung of the ladder through the other provider. If the card is for your personal collection I would say keep it as it is and enjoy it for the card itself not the case. If however you were at a point where you were selling a large collection and had loads of cards to move it couldn’t hurt too much to send your absolute best BGS 9.5’s looking to cross to PSA 10 and also sending your absolute tops PSA 9’s looking to cross to BGS 9.5. Potentially even depending on the cards crossing PSA 10’s to BGS 10’s. You also need to consider where you got it from and if you’ve bought it from a seller who possibly already tried those routes. With a card like this there is a 10x jump in value of $1,000+ between PSA 9 and 10, so it could have already happened.

4 Likes

I’d keep it as a 9.5 with beckett

Cant hurt to try,

and a BGS 8 will almost always be a psa 5

I see two minor flaws: 1. Some very slight chipping on the right lower front edge and 2. The speck white mentioned on the bottom left rear corner. I cant tell of the left rear edge is fraying from a rough cut or if its just the lighting… To me based on the photos I’d give it a 9.6 out of 10. It’s a shot in the dark as a crossover. If it grades a 10 you gain the resale value but if it grades a 9 you’d need to resubmit it at BGS and hope it doesn’t go lower.

@gottaketchumall makes a great point about it already being gem mint. You can always just keep it as is and enjoy it. PSA does have a review service (I’m personally not a fan of it) so you can test the waters going that route.

I’ve got plenty of 9s that look like 10s but honestly it doesn’t bother me since I’m not selling. Always buy the card not the grade :blush:

Thank you all for the advice. It has helped me decide to just keep the Grade I have. Happy with the card as is, was more curious on the thought of whether I should try or not. I do wish PSA had 9.5 grades for only reason being that I like PSA’s display, I notice that BGS cases don’t hold the card in place if you shake them hard enough or by chance accidentally drop it. While a PSA case holds the card in place restricting all moment inside it.

Glad your happy with it. That’s all that maters:)

Im guessing you havent seen or owned or graded many bgs graded cards… Well I myself being a brilliant scientest of bgs will have to further educate you with my vast god mode knowledge I mean lets face it… I am the greatest and most intellgence in the realm of pokemoon.

It really just depends, but there is alot of bgs 8s that are pretty nice just like theres alot of psa 8 that are nice. However a psa 8 is better, but a psa 5 as an average?? is errrrr, i mean your probably basing it off one to few examples, but i could easily grab a misgraded/misjudged psa card and focus on that, however that would be completly inadequate. I would definitely choose psa 8 over bgs 8 though for sure. As for 8.5 on both sides psa and bgs… god dam man, stay away. A difference between an 8 and a 9 can boil down to centering alot of the time with a psa 8, and somewhat of the time with BGS 8… but i guess you either get a card with flaws with centering problems, or a mint card with perhaps no other flaws when talking about the 8 grade. But an 8.5… thats like this thing in the middle that must have something completly stopping it from getting a 9 and that CANT BE GOOD. :nerd_face: The ting is, you could think that BGS has 2 grades above gem mint, so if you take that into account on average a 8 could look like a psa6 or 7 at alot of times if were going off what bgs deems an 8 in relativitiez to psa. A 5 is a little harsh though xD

As for the 9.5, it could definitely crossover to a psa 10… Ive seen people cross complete 9.5 subgrades and even BGS mint 9 to psa 10 a fair few times.

ive seen a 1st ed shadowless raichu that was reviewed 4 times that got a psa 10 xD

SO! it does happen.

However 4 times… man Ide rather die then be parted with a child for that long.

Made me laugh at the end of your message there Pokemonsyndicate. I am honestly content with the 9.5 bgs but what makes me question it is that I have A PSA 9 card and a PSA 10 card. I honestly feel my BGS 9.5 is better than both of those cards. I just dont feel like risking cracking the case for what might be a possible let down if PSA goes hard on grading which I have no experience with so dont know if its worth the risk. I could always go with the crossover method by sending it in as is and if they deem it a 10 they will swap it out of the BGS case into a PSA one but I have heard mixed reviews about doing that and most saying not to do it because it will almost certainly come back as a 9.5 is what I heard. I haven’t personally tried before so I can only go off others experiences. In the end I am most likly going to just stick with my grade. Honestly just considering buying a PSA 10 in a current auction. I love Charizard as so many others do so another one would be nice to have. If down the line I want some extra cash to buy another card I want I can always sell the 9.5. Price has been going up recently on unlimited charizard bgs 9.5 and PSA 10s so my thoughts are it might be good to get another while its still affordable.

2 Likes