Cross grading Question: 1st Ed Charizard Bgs9++!

No prob. All they sent back with it was a note saying it did not meet the minimum grade. Oh, and they sent the PSA sticker that they would have put on the slab, only without any grade. That part of it was a little odd… I felt like they were trying to tease me or something ;p

While it’s highly unlikely to grade a 10, submitting within a minimum 10 grade is your best bet it seems like. Minimal cost with potential for a huge gain (value wise).

1 Like

I keep shaking my head at all the comments saying submit w/ a min 10 grade… This card isn’t a PSA 10 when it’s raw, look at it and see the back edgeware. Now you want to add in the min grade and get a harsher grader into the equation. It might not be a lot of money, but it’s still throwing it away.

I agree with you that the card isn’t a 10 in nearly any circumstance. That said, is it proven that submitting with a min grade will result in a harsher grader? I’ve heard of success stories with BGS 9.5s crossing over with a min grade of 10, but obviously that’s anecdotal by nature. I’m wondering if claims of harsher grading is also anecdotal or whether it’s backed up by anything. Thanks!

It’s all anecdotal. The issue is PSA doesn’t want to crack a case and realize they made a mistake and put a card not worthy of the min grade. I wouldn’t be surprised if specific graders are assigned to those submissions.

You’re right though, there’s no proof. I wouldn’t temp it.

4 Likes

All great points. Never thought of it that way. Doesn’t make a difference whether or not they break it open for the higher grade or not; they are still getting compensated for the re-grade. The odds are really, really against you.

@garyis2000, you mentioned sending in some slabs and requesting a minimum 10 re-grade… I’d be curious to hear how often they actually do the re-grade as a PSA 10… ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not often at all. Sending it in for a 10 minimum may be fun but often a fools errand.

You could always trade it to someone for a PSA 9.

Gotta know when to hold emmmm, know when to fold emmmm… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The thing is i really like how this card is in general, surface is smooth; centering aint perfect but looks well; while there’s some whitening on the back; i’ve seen really poor PSA9’s in my journey to actually end up getting this one.

Im really happy with the card; but my entire set is PSA; and thats why i ended up considering the crossgrade. This is actually my first BGS card.

Not saying you have to trade it for an extra weak 9. Someone with one in similar condition might prefer the BGS case and subgrades.

The one BGS case would personally drive me nuts mostly because it’s a set.

Decision has been made: yesterday i received the card from the E4 User: @nanger9 ; wanted to thank him for a smooth transaction and for being honest with the card quality; over all; awesome!.

I decided to send it to PSA; Slabbed as BGS9 with a minimun cross grade of 9; on a 2 day turn around.

Ill update this thread as soon as i get the grade back from PSA; wich should be next week; friday probably; if everything goes well.

Thanks to everyone for the advices!

2 Likes

Got some messages regarding what happened with the zard; so here’s a quick update.

I paid a 2 day tournaround; card arrived at PSA during last Wednesday morning, i got the e-mail pretty much right after the delivered mark showed off on the Fedex Tracking. The grading started really fast, i was hoping to get the grade on friday but it didnt happen.

I got an update saying my card was being ‘‘sonically sealed’’; wich makes me think it did cross to PSA9; but this is just pure speculation.

Current Status: Stuck at QA CHECK2 since friday 11AM Anaheim time.

Edit: I will update this thread as soon as i get news; good or bad. (crossing my fingers for that 9​:heart: :grin: )

3 Likes

Dang…I missed the last page of this thread. I would have traded a FLAWLESS PSA 9 for this. Only the centering was a bit off but within the 10 parameters.
Dang dang dang…

Tomorrow we’ll see if its still BGS9++ or now PSA9. According to a couple friends and after the ‘‘sonically sealed’’ message we got, seems like it did cross over to PSA9.

That or we find out the Dominos PSA tracker is BS.

3 Likes

That’s what I was hinting at. :wink:

i can’t handle this wait no more, lol! I hope to get the domino to an end tomorrow… I heard people waiting on QA2 for over a week; i hope thats not my case since it was supossed to be a 2day turnaround. Thats a premium, should deserve premium treatment haha! (PSA Laughs at me and gives me my card next month!)

Glad to know I’m not the only fat-ass who knows of the Dominos tracker.

3 Likes

I agree with this. So it’s good to see you take the chance.

Fingers crossed it comes back 9.