strong PSA 9 shadowless charizard

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKA2F2KZoU

Hi guys I have a stupidly strong psa zard Im thinking of regrading I have examined both back and front and both are extrmemly clean including the holo!!

wanted to see what you guys thought so heres a video of the card

also I was wondering the best way to go about regrading this card is it better to crack or to send in graded?

It does look really clean but it’s impossible to get an accurate grade assessment without actually holding the card in person under proper lighting. If you’re confident in it, it may be worth it to you to resend it in. Your two options are sending it in for review or cracking the case and sending it in just like a new grade but you risk damaging the card. Is it for your personal collection? If it was mine I would be perfectly happy knowing how clean it is as a 9. At the end of the day the difference between a 9 and 10 can be absolutely minuscule and I’ve seen 9s that were better than some 10s. Just depends on how much PSA’s opinion matters to you.

2 Likes

I didn’t read your last paragraph, my bad. If you crack it and manage to not damage it at all that seems to be the best way. It is a very rare occasion that PSA upgrades a card when sent in for review.

2 Likes

If it truly deserves a 10 there would be no reason to crack it, right? Send it in for a review so there’s less of a chance for dust damage from it sliding in and out of a sleeve.
They had to see something to give it a 9 though. Try to find what that is. It may be petty and it very well might be in the 10 range but something got it a 9, remember that. Also, in my experience, PSA is horrible at handling cards without leaving evidence of handling. Smudges, fingerprints, dust scratches… I’ve had all these things happen to me, both with the review service and regular grading. The more you send the card in the more risk you put it through. It might be worth keeping it as is, knowing it’s a strong card. At least that way you are guaranteed to preserve its condition. People will recognize that your card is strong and pay the premium for it if your intent is to sell. I know I would. If you are looking to sell it feel free to hit me up privately. I’ll need more than that video though if you want a high price.

5 Likes

thanks for the swift reply!! yeh I would be looking to resell eventually so i guess that would answer your question, or though I would have a special place for it for a good 5years if it graded a 10.

and thats what im worried about with cracking becasue its so clean It would be such a shame for it to get damaged

Yeh I have looked at it under intense lighting and i still cant see anything that would of pulled it down from a 10 but who knows? only PSA i guess hhaha

if i send it in for review will they recase it or only if they chose to upgrade?

thanks for the reply!!

Im sorry to hear that, its what im most worried about psa handling my card it seems there is no guarantee its going to make it back in one piece.

when im back home I will provide some more photos under intense light to show you the condition so you can see :blush:

I maybe up for selling if the price is right determine your clarification of condition and we are able to come to an a agreement on condition and price

It just annoys me that i cannot find anything wrong with it thats stopping it from being a 10 especially when you see the price difference, its just insane!!

Im worried about sending it or cracking it but i also dont want to sell it for a psa 9 price considering the condition.

Its just very frustrating!! lol

Hard to say for sure without having it in hand under lights but from the video and what I can see it certainly looks very clean with good centering. But its a shadowless Zard so they will be harsh on it. Let us know how it goes, would love to see the results if it gets reviewed or cracked and resubmitted.

1 Like

I have nowhere near the expertise a lot of these guys have on here but to me that’s a shame that it didn’t grade a 10. If it were me (because I’m ocd) I’d crack it and send it back. Although I’d buy a bunch of crappy PSA cards and get good at it before doing so with that puppy

2 Likes

The lighting you’re using is nowhere near intense enough to see the flaws that a grader would deduct for on the card’s surface. Take a 75-100w light bulb and put it a few inches away from the card. Then rock the card back and forth slowly, carefully, in all directions to see any flaws. There are some scratches and print lines that are very subtle but will be spotted by graders.

Speaking from experience, reviews are a complete waste of money. Out of the 25-ish PSA 9 cards I’ve reviewed, 1 has come back as a 10. All of them looked just like your Charizard. And I’ve also graded my fair share of PSA 10s from most WOTC sets, so I’m not just throwing things at PSA to see what sticks. To top it off, on average, PSA has definitely changed their standards over the past year. Many cards that were getting easy 9s a year ago are now getting 6s and 7s.

If it’s a 9, it’s a 9 and it’s not worth resubmitting it to PSA. BGS is the other option although you will get a 9.5, guaranteed. Even still, a high-end 9.5 looks a bit better than a PSA 9.

1 Like

I’ve found this to be total bunk and agree with elf above.
Graders don’t start off as if a cards a “1” then go up as they eliminate problems. They start as a “10” then dock it for problems.
Unless the grader is suffering from hallucinations, he saw something wrong that made the card a 9.
A “10” may be a “9” due to oversite.
A “9” is a “9” because it deserves it.

Crack and send back is a strategy that harms the hobby in several ways and is used by scammers hoping to rip off unsuspecting hobbyists.
If you’re so sure your card is a 10, then send it in for review. Regardless of the results, at least the pop will be correct.

1 Like

I have looked at the card under intense light and have found no printlines or scratched!! I will upload a new video under intense lighting in an attempt to display this for everyone :blush: I was thinking of submitting to bgs It seems like a good alternative at this point.

I have no idea why it graded a 9 I will ulpoad better footage with better lighting only to get the opinion of experienced hobbyists to see whether im tripping lol

If i was to crack i would send in the label so that if it was to be upgraded the pop would be sorted on the 9s

At this point if i decide to regrade ill probaly send it in for review as i feel i have nothing to hide and if all fails ill send to bgs in the hope of a 9.5!!

Just my $0.02 cents but the centering on the back of the card is off a bit. It looks like the bottom blue border is thicker than the top border.

I would go for a BGS 9.5 first. Best of both worlds. You’d definitively increase value if it went to a 9.5 and you’d not have the potential damage worry or moral issues of cracking it yourself. If it indeed does get a solid 9.5 with good subgrades then you could potentially turn around and try crossing it to PSA with a 10 minimum.

1 Like

You have a good point! have you had any experience with sending strong 9s to bgs? if so how were your results?

Also do you know how bgs crack these cases? my guess is thats its alot more controlled than the way i see people do it over youtube.

Do you have any idea how much a low graded and a high graded 9.5 shadowless zard are valued at? I cant seem to find much on them?

P.S sorry for all the questions and thanks for the advice!!

I have crossed several very strong PSA 9’s to BGS 9.5’s. I don’t know how they crack them, but I’ve never had an issue. The last 3 shadowless BGS 9.5 zards sold for 4-6.6k. So quite a bump from a PSA 9 value.

ok that sounds promising! it feels alot safer way to do things and worst that can happen is i get a low 9.5 which is still a decent jump on a psa 9 and the best that can happen is i get a high graded 9.5 and try cross over to psa with a minimum of a psa 10 grade! all of which eliminates the risks and worries with regrading that i had!! thanks man :blush: Id never of thought of doing things that way :blush:

Just be sure to put a BGS 9.5 minimum grade. If you end up paying to switch from a PSA 9 to BGS 9 you’ll be going backwards. Also if you don’t get the minimum of a BGS 9.5 then you can be certain you are just missing something blatant in your own inspection. If it can’t upgrade to BGS 9.5 there is a great chance it won’t ever upgrade to PSA 10.

2 Likes

hi guys so an update I have finally sent off the card to beckett with a 2 day turnaround service!! fingers crossed it gets a 9.5 I will keep everyone posted on the results :grin:

I just notcied there has been a new 9.5 zard graded now making it 15, soon it will be 16 :stuck_out_tongue: lol