Shadowless Dull Cut Corners - How Would It Grade?

Hello fellow trainers

I have a pretty strong Shadowless PSA 9 Blastoise and I am considering resubmitting it to PSA or to BGS as I think it is 10 or 9.5 worthy.

My only concern is the left front edge.

It seems to be suffering from the classic shadowless “dull cut” edges, where it looks a tad choppy but the back is very clean and there isn’t any silvering showing through on the front edge as is common on jungle.

You can however see some minor silvering if you hold the card horizontally and look at the edge directly (from the side).

Does PSA dock for this? Or BGS?

I have had some people say no, and some say yes - curious to see what the general thoughts are.

TIA

5 Likes

Wow. That is a tough call. I would say it stays PSA 9, but I am an infrequent grader.

2 Likes

I wouldnt expect to bump up. The amount of silvering I’d say 9 is a fair grade.

2 Likes

It isn’t silvering really in the standard sense - you cant really see it unless you look at the edge directly from the side. The images I shared above don’t show silvering at all, just the rough edge. Tough call!

3 Likes

Every bgs 9.5 I’ve owned has looked worse than that. But it’s anyone’s guess really. Send it

6 Likes

Even though I don’t grade my cards, if there is one thing I have learnt from all of the grading threads on E4 is that there is always a possibility. The only way to find out is to send it for grading.

Cheers!

5 Likes

These light scratches and print lines would prevent the 10 for sure. Whether it prevents the 9.5 is anyone’s guess.

8 Likes

A true gambler. I like that when it’s someone else money. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Probably could be BGS 9.5 with 9 edges sub potentially. Hard to know. I’d probably just leave it as a PSA 9 as the premium gained with the risk & hassle may not be worth it. Blastoise also simply doesn’t gain a huge premium like a Charizard would from 9 → 9.5 typically.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any consistency to how PSA grades something like this. Maybe that edge needs a nice slide over some 2000 grit sandpaper? Lol

8 Likes

I think 10s with edges like that probably exist, but idk its rly ur call if u wanna risk it for the biscuit. The back looks cleannn love to see that deep blue

2 Likes

There are definitely modern 10s with edges worse than that. I’ve been looking at Brilliant Stars trainer galleries and learned that basically every “near mint” copy you can buy online has a horrible frayed looking edge. Checking the listings on eBay, I’d say about 30-50% of the posted 10s I see have something similar (from Brilliant Stars trainer galleries, normal cards no).

3 Likes

Most of that was on the PSA slab tbh, I wouldnt have cracked it otherwise.

The top circles are not scratches at all so not sure what you are circling there.

The only scratch that does exist is the short one above his right hand, but I do own 9.5 surface cards with similar minor scratches (and PSA 10 cards).

Personally it has a decent shot at a 9.5 so let’s see. I’m guessing 9 surface, 9.5 centering, 9.5 corners and a 50-50 on 9 or 9.5 edges.

Not a lot of risk even if it gets a BGS 9 and the updside is decent.
There are certainly worse things to gamble on!

A 9 to a 9.5 would be a 2.5x usually. Id put a 9.5 blasty around 2.5k
I have another 9.5 shadowless blasty but I definitely overpaid for that one :sweat_smile:

Update - result. Glad i trusted my gut!

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 18.30.08_70c6935c

6 Likes

Kinda wack that BGS would have a designated “edges” subgrade but would still consider this “gem mint”

Congrats though!

Bit of a strange reply tbh.

Are all PSA 10s (especially Shadowless/ 1st ed) flawless? Nope.

The edges were the dull cut - not silvering as you would see on unlimited/ jungle.

I went with my gut - card was very clean

Congrats! I thought it was 9.5 worthy

1 Like

I am not being facetious when I say congrats!

What I mean is that mint implies undamaged but “gem” mint implies that the card is even better than mint.

It’s just funny that we would all agree that centering (entirely a factory trait) could hold back a card from being gem mint but that this type of factory flaw appears to be overlooked, despite there being a category specific to for edges.

Not saying you did anything wrong at all, just commenting on the BGS grading system.