Articuno Phone Card

So I’m sure some people here have seen it on facebook, but I was surprised nobody posted about it on here.

What is up with this card, is there any information on it? Definitely different from the phone card print we have seen before. The layout on the above the art box and on the bottom of the card are different.

Also curious to know what is necessary for this card to be authenticated (accepted as legitimate), if it is real.

www.facebook.com/blackbirdcollecting/

Thanks!

1 Like

Another example of the rainbow label era and their lax grades:(

I have never seen this card before this guy’s but IMO, it is a real card. It was shown as a lottery prize in the silver bible next to the TMB phone cards. The fill-in form is included in the guide book where it mentioned 100 winners will be selected and awarded a phone card or something along the lines.

It is the first lottery card awarded in 1997 and depending on how you see it, it also should be the more valuable phone cards of all four since no one has seen one in the 21 years of its released and there is a fixed number tied to it, 100.

Remember, Pokemon was only 1 year old and when you get a phone card that has nothing more than a cartoon character as the face, you would wanna use that $10 prepaid calls.

Personally, phone cards at that valuation are not for me because, well, they are phone cards, at that valuation.

9 Likes

That’s what I’m saying! These are phone cards. Not just non-TCG, but not trading cards. When it was directly associated with the TMB, it made sense as a novel piece of memorabilia. But these are exactly like the old World Championships hotel key cards from my perspective.

5 Likes

Value is based on rarity And demand. There is very little organic demand for this card.

1 Like

@pieterpie,

I admit that 20 years ago I was the one who hyped these up and built up quite a demand. Honestly though, I was never really sold on them as the limited number in my collection attests to.

Anyone have a picture of the back?

This card does nothing for me, especially having a bar code on the back just looks bad imo

1 Like

Also I have seen at least one of these cards before but I thought it was fake you live and you learn

Ah yes, the PM. GM. TACT. GDBK. PHN. CD. Articuno promo.

7 Likes

There are plenty of phone cards from that era that are all sub $100. Here is one sitting next to me:

The TMB phone cards are nice because of their history. This cards history is basically that it exists. Also the text and fighting energy look bootleg AF. Check out the TMB Card text and fighting energy next to this phonecard:

6 Likes

Yes, so I’ll head out to Northern California right away and take a pic;)

1 Like

I’m still waiting for a picture of the grey 1st ed. stamp Red Cheeks Pikachu from Gary’s collection, haha. :wink: Unless Gary has it in his house instead of of one his possibly thousands of storage (huge-ass sea-)containers, it won’t see the light of day anytime soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Greetz,
Quuador

@quuador,
Yeah, I don’t like the 9 hour drive, or 18 hours back and forth normally. And then the major dig lol. Now maybe if it was a very big deal…:wink:

I reimbursement your gasoline (if it’s around 250 USD back and forth) and pay an additional 250 USD if you sell it to me. :laughing:

PS: Out of curiosity, why do you store your cards nearly 100 miles away from your place?.. My cards are currently *picks up flexible steel rule* 105 cm away from me, rofl.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

”flexible steel ruler” hmmm :eggplant::eyes:

1 Like

It’s a pretty awsome card.

Someone trolled the seller and bought it with a zero feedback account lol

offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=183858836518

3 Likes

Kei on Instagramfound this while browsing Instagram, thought it might be useful.

1 Like