Information about the Prototype-like Moltres, Articuno & Zapdos

Legendary Birds GB Art

Some new information surfaced about cards that have up to now been unknown. The artwork of the three Legendary Birds above is from the Pokémon Trading Card Game 2 Game Boy game. These artwork are best known for being featured on the Tropical Mega Battle phone cards as shown below:

PSA graded examples

TMB phone cards

Articuno phone card ( Articuno Phone Card )

Yesterday, Takumi Akabane (one of the original TCG developers) posted this to Instagram:

This Ken Sugimori art is used in Rocket’s Moltres, however this is the first time the art with this background has appeared on a regular card. Note the weird artifacts on it suggesting it may be a prototype.

This post was followed up by a set of Instagram stories from @linkdu83 that show a set of all three birds on glossy cardstock. Below is the stories that have been transcribed here to preserve the information and make it more accessible.

Hello! As some people are asking me pictures and information about the 3 mysterious cards I was talking about yesterday in a comment of a new Takumi Akabane’s instagram post, here we are! Please read the whole story, it is quite cool! But first some context…

Earlier this year there was a listing on YJA with a lot of random cards (Vending, Corocoro/WHF promo, holo and non holo cards) and 3 mysterious cards Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres which looked quite weird…

The seller was a random seller who sold a lot of random non pokemon stuff, like the seller in 2014 who sold the famous prototype/test e-cards. So I remembered this listing and I said to myself, even if the 3 legendary birds look 99% weird/fake cards, those are really nice and I already didn’t bid on the 2014 listing, so I will bid this time! Nobody was interested and I was the only one who made a bid…

When I received the cards, I was really surprised by the quality of the 3 legendary birds cards, I have never seen “fake” cards like that. They were glossy, showed the characteristics of a card which was peeled from a sheet and the printing quality was like a regular glossy card. But they still looked weird/fake because there was a bug/error on the Moltres illustration (including a “97” printed on his head) and the Zapdos illustration was off centered (only the Articuno looked normal), the back side of the cards was slightly unusual too, and last but not least, those 3 cards were completely unknown. I talked about them with some people, nobody never saw those cards or fake cards like that. So I put them in a portfolio, hoping that maybe one day I will know where they come from (and even if they were fake, they were really nice!)…

Yesterday, Takumi Akabane (one of the 4 creators of the Pokémon TCG) aka, banet1965, who already shared some early design Pokémon cards earlier this year, randomly posted a strange Moltres on his instagram page…

I was really surprised! First because I would have never thought that Akabane will show one of those cards, then because it could confirm that my 3 mysterious cards are not fake after all. I commented on his instagram post to gain some attention, so he could notice the message I sent to him. I asked if he could provide some information about this strange card. So maybe we ill have some interesting information in the future :slight_smile: So now you know the story, here are some close pictures of the 3 cards…

I compared the printing rosette pattern of the cards with regular cards on 1200 dpi scans, the front sides match. Moreover you can clearly see the black layer was printed above the rosettes, like on regular cards. For the back side, this is more difficult because the back is slightly different, but the printing process looks normal and there is also the black layer printed above the rosettes. So some collectors and I, concluded that the cards seem real, in the sense that the Moltres card can’t be a fake card of the Akabane’s Moltres. Moreover it would make no sense to perfectly fake some cards that are completely unknown…

Thanks for reading I hope you appreciated it and that you are as pleased as me to discover new cards even nowadays! Do not hesitate to contact me if you have more information. The cards are no for sale, thanks,

Update 01/22/24 - They have been graded at PSA

https://www.psacard.com/cert/84858924/psa

https://www.psacard.com/cert/84858925/psa

https://www.psacard.com/cert/84858926/psa

70 Likes

I just received an email notification :sweat_smile:
Thanks for sharing this here (I hope you corrected all my mistakes too :upside_down_face:).
If some people here know more information (or raise doubts) about those cards, do not hesitate to share them!

PS: The quality of the pictures is terrible (because I took some screenshots of my phone to write my stories), maybe I can send you pictures in their high original resolution ?

31 Likes

Amazing cards! I have little doubt the are “real” (in the sense that they were produced for some purpose by TPC) given the evidence. You can either upload the images here directly or send them to me on instagram @pkmnflyingmaster and I can add them to the post.

6 Likes

What an awesome find @linkdu83 congrats! The post by Akabane is pretty much confirmation that they are real. Super cool that cards like this are still being uncovered

4 Likes

Whoa, this is so cool! An amazing story. So fun to find out about new cards decades after release, and finding them in a random yahoo lot is probably everyone here’s biggest dream. Congrats @linkdu83!

4 Likes

It is absolutely insane to me that Pokemon is the largest media franchise in the world, we have 27 years of recorded TCG history and countless resources at our fingertips, and yet still to this day stuff like this gets uncovered out of the blue. So damn cool

16 Likes

Absolutely insane. You took a gamble and look how it paid off. Congrats and very exciting stuff!

3 Likes

This is an incredible find, the arts of these 3 give me so much nostalgia from the GB game.

2 Likes

An amazing find and a great read. Always something new to discover with Pokemon cards.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!
Yes this is so cool to discover new cards after all those years!

Here are the pictures in their original resolution:

Later today or during the week end, I will try to edit a comparaison between some parts of the Akabane Moltres 1200dpi scan, with the Fossil Moltres and a Vending glossy card scans (I will not upload a full HD scan of the Akabane Moltres card on the internet, this is a bad idea :sweat_smile:).

EDIT : By the way, I think the first appearance of the 3 birds with this design is not in the Pokémon TCG game, but instead in the May 1997 issue of the CoroCoro magazine:

(the picture is taken from zoidsland.com)

36 Likes

Truly amazing and wonderful. Thank you for sharing these and documenting your experience. Very envious of this once in a lifetime experience!

4 Likes

Wow, what an amazing find and story!!
These have to be some of the best cards, ever!

2 Likes

Wow man. Those are so much cooler than the phone cards. A waking dream is that all the unreleased GB promo cards would exist, and as glossy vending cards.

So this is like having a real taste of that dream. Official or not, prototype or not, they look authentic enough to have in the binder and enjoy them thoroughly and have them feel real. Awesome story. They are heavenly.

13 Likes

Is that Aerodactyl card also never printed? Wonder if thats out there somewhere too.

7 Likes

This is sooo cool!! Definitely a dream come true. I’m jealous haha

2 Likes

That art is sweet never seen that before either.

3 Likes

I love stories like this, about previously undiscovered old back cards finally coming to light!

4 Likes

Articuno collectors have it rough

8 Likes

How weird, but HOW COOL! Very glad you shared this with the community, @linkdu83! It seems you found some long-lost treasure here.

2 Likes

Did you post any of these on reddit relatively recently (like within the past 2 months)? I feel like I saw someone who had found one of these and posted asking if it was real.

1 Like