Are card savers that aren’t straight still ok to use?

Hey all,
I have a question that anyone who has graded before might be able to help me with. Some of the card savers I’m using seem to be ‘wavy’. Will this damage the cards at all or affect them for grading? I’ve had some sitting in the card savers for many months now so not sure if I’m being paranoid or have nothing to worry about
Thanks!

How many waves are there?

If the cards sit bent or deformed for a long time they will adopt their new shape eventually… but this often takes years. As long as the humudity stays low and consistant you should be fine for a good while.

If you want to make sure they don’t bend rotate every other saver so that the bends oppose eachother.

Ahhh sometimes 2. It goes one way and then back the other.

Doesn’t sound good, i’d put them in toploaders if you’re intending on storing them long term

3 Likes

Here’s an example of what I mean. It’s very slight but is clearly noticeable in hand. I’m going to get them graded but they have/will be sitting in the card savers for awhile.

What brand are those? I’ve never seen that happen.
It’s probably fine short term like as long as it takes to get to PSA. Other than that, you can use them up to ship out cards you sold. Long time storage? I wouldn’t.

I bought this whole box brand new. Opened the plastic and everything myself. I’ve had some sitting in them for quite a few months now…

@jkanley
Hmm thanks yeh I might have to just send these out for grading then and not let them sit around for too much longer

I’m not sure, even if you sent them to PSA right now they would probably have enough time to warp with how long the delay is.

1 Like

Just checked on a bunch of old ex’s & LC reverse holos I’ve had in curved Cardboard Gold brand savers for over 6 months and they’re fine.

2 Likes

This happens with any semirigid holder.

Card savers aren’t ideal long term storage solutions if they are oversized. Use toploaders.

That being said, I’ve sent many of my own cards to PSA with a minor curve in the card saver, and all have returned as 10’s, without visible curving to the then graded card.

I think every card saver i’ve owned has had some type of weird curve

1 Like

I’ve used card saver 1s for storage for a decade and besides straightening out curves the cards stay exactly as is. This last two years I got rid of ALL my toploaders and have gone 100% card savers. Saves a ton of space.

One caveat. I haven’t exposed them to a humid climate which could maybe make a difference?

1 Like

Humidity could be an issue, but as I’ve said, even the slight curving mine have had haven’t impacted on card condition at all.

I think even the manufacturer do not recommend CS1’s for long term storage. They recommend CS2’s, which I would never use because they are too tight to get into.

I’ve also abandoned toploaders for my personal collection!

I had a few of those (both Ultra Pro and Cardboard Gold) and they flattened out in the end. They warp because they get stuck/forced into a shape. Keep them standing up inside a box when they’re empty to prevent any weight forcing them into the shape they have pictured.

All good advice cheers guys! So a few things might have caused this to happen. The humidity of the room they’re left in and the fact that I leave the box facing down instead of upright. I’ve taken my cards out of the card savers temporarily but I’ll put them back in some new ones soon. It’s good to know that longer term it hasn’t affected others’ cards however. I’m going through a couple of booster boxes opening one pack a week so I will need to store some cards for many months before they get graded. I’ll let you all know if they do in fact flatten out when they are in a cooler spot and standing up.