2020 Japanese Illustration Contest

www.pokebeach.com/2020/04/creatures-announces-top-50-picks-for-2020-illustrators-contest
Whats your favo(u)rite?

5 Likes

Lot of cool illustrations, but that Tyranitar with the flame design looks pretty FIRE and an honorable mention to the last one, making Lucario a bandit with the henchmen and city backdrop.

One of the Charizards will most likely win though coz…well, Charizard.

They all look great, compared to the crap children used to draw back then

3 Likes

That felt Pikachu looks great! Also like the first Milotic one.

1 Like

Kamehameha Lucario is sick

This Milotic is majestic, love it.
In general I think most of the illustrations are too futuristic for me. I think they are too far Pokemons manga-like origin.

4 Likes

What an insane amount of skill and talent. Any of these deserves to win. I have no idea how the jury wants to objectively determine what artwork is the best, because this seems more like a matter of personal taste to me. Some of my personal favorites are:

Tyranitar lifting the huge boulder Stone Edge-style is incredibly powerful. Tyranitar is all about brute force, and this picture captures that perfectly.

Another Tyranitar drawn in a more modern and vibrant style. Reminds me of the Noise from The World Ends With You because of the flames.

This one could be straight out of a HGSS set. The pose, the colors, the water effects, everything about the card is perfect.

This one has superb lighting, and the drawing still is very soft, yet precise. I’m not the biggest fan of Zacian, but the artwork is objectively gorgeous.

I can’t pinpoint what I like so much about this one, but the little Wishiwashi poking out of the water with that determined expression just works. Very good perspective for a card artwork.

“The Pokemon had to be shown in forests or towns. “
For the top 50 let’s showcase Wishiwashi only in the ocean, that’s what our rules clearly states yeah?

Personally, not a fan of the majority of these. I can understand and appreciate the abilities of the talented artists. Just too much going on and modern animation on cards isn’t for me.

Favourites of the bunch would be the battle stadium Charizard & Lucario as well as the sleeping moon Pikachu and Pikachu in the city.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be that guy and say all of them. They all look amazing I can’t wait to see who they pick. :blush:

Meanwhile this guy’s looking at all these laughing

15 Likes

yorikane さん
for genesect

スズキイオリ さん
tyranitar

みる さん
For Pikachu,

末宮 市悠 さん
for whatever tf that is

畑 健太朗 さん
for milotic

i dont like the charizards

sgtoon さん
for Lucario :grin:

Also thanks for sharing PFM, I love art contest submissions

1 Like

Solely because it’s the shining version :grin:

I wonder if the promo will be mass released this time. Wasn’t the last made into a single giant card? Would love to have access to the winner’s card rather than people hunting down artists to attempt to buy copies from them.

In terms of my favorite I really like this Pikachu, some Into the Spiderverse vibes. It really pops which I think will play to it’s benefit when the art is forced to be on the smaller scale of the card:

3 Likes

A lot of really cool stuff, but these were my favorites:

1 Like

Some of my favorites of those:

The Milotic is my favorite. Such a beautiful artwork. The background, the foreground, the Pokémon itself. If this card is made as a card I might actually buy it even if it’s a limited availability.
Both Tyranitar artworks as well as the Lucario stopping the Hitmonlee kick are really impressive and striking. Very powerful poses as well.
The colors of the water and air of the Wishiwashi really fits its sad face.
And the Charizard artwork tells a nice story, which I always like about artworks.

PS: I do like the Pikachu on the rock with the thunder in the background, but I don’t need any new Pikachu cards to be completely honest… There were 450+ Pikachu cards released during the Sun & Moon era, I think that’s enough for now… :neutral_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Hmm, so it’s Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop… oh, is that Photoshop? Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop…

I miss the designs that were drawn by kids. These look nothing different than the usual 5ban Graphics designs we get in generic set releases. At least last time we got bathtub slowpoke:

I miss bathtub slowpoke.
RIP.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like all of these designs - I think they’re great and show off a lot of talent. I just think Creatures missed an opportunity to give us something a little unique for a change. None of these stand out in any way to me, I feel like they’ll all be forgotten in 3 years time. Bathtub Slowpoke won the last one right? Oh, no wait, it was… Oh, I’ve forgotten already.

10 Likes

None. There’s no Gyarados.

But no seriously like these:

But my favorite is:

Wishiwashi has slowly been growing on me the more cards of it I see.

1 Like

The zards are not great imo but the tyranitars are all fire

2 Likes

白砂かに さん milotic is insane! I love that one!

あいらんど さん Charizard cause of the pokeballs

畑 健太朗 さん moonlight milotic, lovely! has something majestic…

crudefish さん This tyraniter

that’s about it haha

felt pika is pretty spectacular.

3 Likes