Tierlist/ranking: Top 50 illustrator's contest card artworks

Rare sign again, me outside of the E4 Discord (if you didn’t join discord yet… just do it).
I looked at the 2020 Illustrator Contest cards again and have to say that there are really great artworks!
I thought that it would be the perfect tierlist, so I made it. It would be great to see your ranking. Feel free to share it with us!:
tiermaker.com/create/pokemon-tcg-top-50-picks-for-2020-illustrators-contest-461723
(The pictures are from Pokebeach:
www.pokebeach.com/2020/04/creatures-announces-top-50-picks-for-2020-illustrators-contest )

5 Likes

2 Likes

The Tyranitar on top in your list… I wish this dude would work as illustrator at Pokemon soon. Soooooo nice.

1 Like

I love this!! I’ll have to try when I have a bit more time !!

1 Like

Here’s how I personally rank them (probably way different than what most would rank them at):

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I personally look for a few things when I rank artworks.

#1) Colour - I always love bold colour schemes that are bright and convey a lot of emotion. The palettes used help me to differentiate between what I like and don’t. I generally gravitate to more monochromatic or analogous schemes.

#2) Story - You’ll notice that cards that I like tend to have more of a storyline to them. Such as the Charizard saving the Drilbur.

#3) Flatness - Some cards are a dime a dozen. If I see the same pokemon in the same pose or style over and over again I get bored with the artwork… That’s why things like Genesect to me are boring because there’s only so much you can do with an evil robot alien bug thing…

#4) Movement - To go with Flatness, I like to see movement in the card. Keep me staring at the photo longer than a few seconds… Some cards to me are a one note song and then I get bored with it.

3 Likes

Thank you and thanks for sharing all the aspects, I definately appreciate your top picks! :blush:

1 Like

Here’s my tier list. I absolutely love the use of color in the first Pikachu in S-tier. Felt Pika is adorable and I want way more of that.

Overall, these artists are seriously talented.

3 Likes

Lets get to the main point first off, all of these works should be represented into cards and a new generation illustrator equivalent trophy should be presented to the best.

Thank you @goigoi for making this and giving the artists the deserved recognition with this tier for these to apppear again! I always appreciate and enjoy a good tiering. Hoping it’s Gengar, Lugia or if someone’s got the willpower to make Pikachu next, and nice icon, which image is she from?

I previously described my placement choices if anyone’s curious? Lots of everyone are underestimating the cleverly justified Noir Lucario.

2 Likes

There are some super talented artists in this group, especially for the Genesect and Milotic lines. This would be my shortlist for the winner (cards that I would have assumed to already be in the tcg).

That first Pikachu really is S-tier … imagine that picture on a trophy card - would be AMAZING

1 Like

Awesome! I love seeing this! So much excellent art.

And whoa:

I would buy 1,000 of these. Man, what a stunner – composition, materials, use of color, and an absolute star Pokemon. Imagine it in holo or a full art… this card would be a hit.

Here are the rest of my picks:

Generally speaking, what draws me in is contrast and emotion, and a strong focal point. Really unique art styles or creative use of shapes/different media really get me…for example, like the legendary bird promo from Hidden Fates. Excellent art for a modern card, absolutely perfect.

But I love them all and can’t wait to see the results!

4 Likes

I love all of them

1 Like

I am not a Pikachu fan. And I absolutely LOVE the felt Pikachu art. A cards just had some absolutely solid art and style to it with some originality and flare. B cards were solid in art and had great concepts. C same thing with the exception that I wasn’t really “wowed” by them. E is meh but I could see where some concepts went. F felt like it lacked spirit or personality as it was like someone said, “Show me a Pokemon.”, seeing the card and then the reply, “Yup. That’s what it looks like.”

4 Likes

All of them are D-tier.

I lost faith with last years Illustrator art competition and a boring Gardevoir winning over amazing BATHTUB SLOWPOKE.

1 Like

We all know. No offense to the winner, all the creative possibilities and Japan for once thinks of the most insulting public decision to come up with.

1 Like

@genosha, bathtub slowpoke would probably fall asleep and drown himself. useless creature. useful metagross on the other hand …

2 Likes