2020 Japanese Illustration Contest

Did you miss the felt Pikachu?

6 Likes

This is the first time of all the illustation contests that I actually like ALL the artworks!

“Creatures also stated that some artists may be recruited to become official Pokemon TCG artists.”

I would certainly hope so. These are awesome.

1 Like

So do people vote which pokemon to be drawn?

I couldn’t even begin to pick one, this round has absolutely stellar art. Pretty disappointed with the gardevoir from last time as I felt it was the weakest and uninspired art.

Thank you for reviving bathtub slowpoke. Never forget! :pray: That illustration still makes me so happy whenever it makes an appearance!

1 Like

**They will never make undone not picking the bathtub Slowpoke!**I have no favourite among the new ones. Some look really cool and would like to see them on a card. But after last years amazing candidates and a terrible, boring and bland, Gardevoir win I won’t be suprised if this years win goes to the crying Wishiwashy or that Zazazaumazau (I really can’t remember the name of the Sword/Shield ‘legendary’ dog). Because it looks like they don’t wanna have amazing art on a card by a non standard artist.

1 Like

These are my favorites:

2 Likes

If I could be pedantic about one artwork in particular it would be this Charizard. I like the story this has as said by @quuador , an injured Timburr being rescured by a Charizard on flight from the mountain/cave side.

Instead of the Pokemon Timburr being saved, I would much rather it had been an injured Komala and instead of a mountain/cave it was from a burning forest. This would pay homage to depict the tragic bushfires that struck across Australia last year. I feel this would have a much deeper and memorable meaning and instantly become my favourite artwork ever by a mile.

Then again, that may be too political for a kids game.

5 Likes

*to the crap Creatures are releasing generally as a whole now.

1 Like

Quite a few of those are epic! Not really a fan of Zacian, but I do really appreciate the look of the one where he is in the bright forest.

Can’t go wrong with charizard being a lifesaver and helping the Timburr.

Pretty much any Milotic Art is going to be gorgeous and many of these fit the description

And that Tyranitar in the field of fire is tops. I feel this one is mildly reminiscent of old school Pokémon cards, maybe one of the e-series. Similar vibe to an art in aquapolis.

I appreciate the art of the pikachu, but agree that pikachu could use a break in the number of cards printed. I originally wanted to collect all pikachu arts, but decided to quit shortly after spending 200$ And realizing I only bought like 1/200th of the total number of pikachu’s

From turning multiple winners with a brick of copies in their power to another numbered nationwide promo seems like a one sided trade. There was commotion across the winners back then having a brick of copies but there was last time definitely a shift of power from the artists onto PokĂ©mon. Although collectors have had to get used to losing out on neat oppertunities, Japan’s market would be the last to do that as they understand collectors mentality normally not just for PokĂ©mon.

Keep in mind high ranked entries at least should be offered roles in collaborating this clouded world and if that’s only a recent offer it’s definitely overdue. This standard met is so tight now all the entries presented have potential on card compared to the standard action landscape rushed pose that is the norm sadly today.

yorikane’s さん Genesect’s got nice subtle fluorescent highights almost Komiya in pose which is simlar to where Planeta derives (see Spiritomb).

DyG’s さん Zacian has got the Kawayoo vibes going with the shades of light with large paste strokes adhering to make a dynamic appear frozen. Admired his work ever since the HGSS pack arts.

All Teatars are strong as would be expected for the Chansey shaped Gojira but holy fuck the last two are my picks. Fuck everyone talking about the Charizard alongside those other PokĂ©mon, it’s all about the low-key Spiritomb team no-one has noticed. It’s menacing like the Gojira that is supposed to be feared (1954/GMK All-Out Attack) with them business meaning iris only eyes.

Never got onto Milotic’s hype. Although Competitive is a beast and it was only a matter of time before inclusion into this. SH7 Supreme Victors was flashy back then and えすどぃお さん has made an alien queen.
As for aliens, yes favouritism is PokĂ©mons main excuse for choosing as the fluffachu will likely win but it’s 仁歐 さん’s hitting me first with that alien rodent insect face shaped by the attention of it’s light speed comin at me.

Largely underlooked one on topic, è„żć±±ăŻăȘ さん
's Lucario’s got them Noir vibes happening.

Lastly someone make the Bathtub Slowpoke a Kanye West interrupt ‘but XYZ had one of the greatest of all time’ meme.

I prefer the crap!

3 Likes