1st Edition Timeline: Lets Iron it Out

English:

1st Edition Prints Start: Base Set
1st Edition Prints End: Neo Destiny (Last w/ 1st Stamp)

Sets Omitted:

• Base Set 2

Japanese:

1st Edition Prints Start: VS Series
1st Edition Prints End: Evolutions (Last 1/ 1st Stamp)

Sets Omitted:

• Entry Pack '08 DX (DP)
  • Lost Link
  • Master Kit
  • XY Premium Champion Pack [XY in English]
  • BREAK Starter Pack [XY Generations excluding Radiant Collection in English]
    -CP4

False 1st Edition Sets (Sets with ONLY a “1st Edition” Print):

• VS
  • Double Crisis
  • Rage of the Broken Sky XY9
  • PokéKyun Collection [XY Generations Radiant Collection in English]
  • XY Evolutions
  • CP1, 2, 3, 5, 6

Sets where Unlimited is rarer than 1st Edition:

• Web
  • Skyridge
  • World Champions Pack [EX Power Keepers in English]
  • HeartGold & SoulSilver (L1)
  • HeartGold & SoulSilver (L2)
  • HeartGold & SoulSilver (L3)

The above is information I would like to have ironed out and in one place for convenient reference. I would appreciate help from the community in getting the gaps filled in. Also, if there is a better way of identifying what is going on, I can change the soft categories I’ve set above. I know that there are lots of Japanese sets where the unlimited is harder to find than the 1st Edition, for example. If it would be easier, I can do the inverse and make a list of sets where this is not the case.

12 Likes

I know Scott already said this but Pokemon needs 1st edition cards again for the english sets, they can reward the most dedicated people who buy early and lots of it, would of been nice to see another first edition zard in english with the 1999 one going for 16k now.

@crios711

I agree and you can see my comment on the YouTube video itself. But with all due respect, I don’t want this to turn into a conversation about what we want to happen. I’m trying to narrow down the details of exactly what has happened. :blush:

1 Like

Based on my Pikachu and Seviper collections, here are some of the Japanese sets:

Sets Omitted (only unlimited edition):

False 1st Edition Sets (Sets with ONLY a “1st Edition” Print):- Double Crisis

Sets where Unlimited is rarer than 1st Edition:- Skyridge (I have both, but unlimited is harder to come by).

• World Champions Pack [EX Power Keepers in English] (I have both, but unlimited is harder to come by).
  • HeartGold & SoulSilver (L1) (Unlimited is definitely a lot harder to find - probably one the hardest of all sets that come in both 1st and unlimited edition in Japanese. I’m not entirely sure, but I think this also applies to L2 and L3.)

Not sure:

• [False 1st Edition Sets (Sets with ONLY a “1st Edition” Print)] Expedition Base (not sure if the entire set exist in unlimited or there are only a select few unlimited edition promo-prints - I’m expecting the later).
  • [Sets where Unlimited is rarer than 1st Edition] Battle Starter Decks (I’ve only seen them in unlimited edition so far, but they might also exist in 1st edition. @justinator had it in his list, so perhaps he has seen the 1st edition before?)
  • [Sets where Unlimited is rarer than 1st Edition] National Beginning Set (Again, I’ve only seen them in unlimited edition so far, but they might also exist in 1st edition. @justinator had it in his list, so perhaps he has seen the 1st edition before?)

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

@quuador I knew this would be right up your alley :wink:

3 Likes

While I have them in my list I have no proof at this point that they exist - I don’t believe I’ve seen them either (but I tend to not rule them out until I get sufficient information that they were indeed not printed).

2 Likes

False 1st Edition Sets (Sets with ONLY a “1st Edition” Print):
Wild Blaze

Sets where Unlimited is rarer than 1st Edition:
Base Expansion Pack e-Series 1? haha already mentioned

The VS set is only printed in 1ed. Lost link is only unlimited.

Edit: the tmb ones may not be but I wouldn’t really count that.

Legendary Collection also was not given a 1st ED run

Came out after Destiny though.

2 Likes

What about the Japanese CP sets? If I am correct all CPs (CP1-CP6) had 1st ed runs except for CP4 which didn’t have the 1st ed stamp.

I thnk it is updated to where we are at in the discussion? Also, let me know if I put something out of order. Odds are super high that I did.

Was base set 2 referred to as 2nd edition at anyone elses school too?

To be honest, I don’t ever recall talking about the set a card came from back then. The only thing I remember is talking about the pokemon themselves. So if you had a charizard, you had a charizard. And that was the end of the conversation. Hahaha

We were much more shallow. I recall the phrase ‘oh but it’s 2nd edition’ *crowd disperses*

There is no need to include neo genesis in the list of sets omitted being as that came before the VS set. Also add VS to the list of sets that have no unlimited.

The Pokemon Web series is also a lot harder to find in unlimited compared to 1st edition.
Expedition base (E1 / Base expansion pack) also has three unlimited cards (besides the promo ponyta) that don’t know a source of yet. These cards are Pichu, Charizard and Alakazam non holo.

1 Like

Adjusted for the Neo thing.
VS is already listed.

Can anyone else speak to the unlimited only having a few cards mentioned here?

Here are pics of the Pichu and Charizard. Don’t have a picture of the Alakazam.

2 Likes

That charizard is beautiful!