1st Edition Base Box Opening (Kinda)

He probably wanted more, couldn’t get what he wanted and just ran out of time to find buyers.

I also think there are people on this forum who would pay more than $850 for an unweighed pack. I would definitely buy one. How many other people would buy one for that price or more?

1 Like

Is it possible that he is selling them this way so as to avoid taxes? Perhaps he is selling to people through friends and family on Paypal so as to avoid getting nailed with fees and paying Uncle Sam?

I would think that if you sold a box on eBay for 50000, you would only keep about… I guess 35,000 after fees and taxes? I could be off there, but selling in smaller increments makes sense in that case.

1 Like

Those packs would completely sell on this site within 15 minutes. @pokemonrevolution got a hell of a deal!

7 Likes

Exactly! And I’m sure he could have charged $1000 or more each and they still would have sold in 15 minutes on here. A little extra effort could have made him a lot more money. How fast could he have possibly needed the money?

sheesh he let them go extremely cheap, strange that gary apparently offered him $35k for the box. but he claims he couldnt find a buyer and sells individual packs for a total of 32.4k…

1 Like

Obviously, that person doesn’t have the extensive “Poke-Knowledge” that we have here. Sure, that person could have sold the individual booster packs for a higher premium - and/or the booster box itself for a much higher premium. However, don’t diminish the fact that he purchased this booster box back in 2014 for $7,300.00. Now, fast-forward four-years, and he just sold that same booster box for $32,250.00 (Nearly $25,000.00 PROFIT)! That’s AWESOME!!!

6 Likes

If it’s FnF he’s not too far off what 37k on ebay would be, with less risk.

@oldskoolpokemon Exactly! I think as serious collectors we always are looking at the optimal outcome, but for someone casually involved, this makes sense. If they truly needed the money I get being a bit skittish. For what its worth, he sounded like a genuinely nice dude throughout the video. Very straightforward about how he is selling everything.

5 Likes

Yeah no doubt sold out quickly on here I would’ve bought 1 for $850 for sure

I just watched the video for the first time and want to give a little input.

I opened cases of these 1st Ed boxes years ago. I think Scott will attest to that cause he saw all the rares, Commons, and Uncommons.
Four things happened to that fellow that I’ve never seen before and for me, that’s cause for concern.

1. the bottom pack in the box was twisted upside down.
  2. this box didn’t contain 12 of each artwork
  3. there was a pack split in the bottom center.
  4. 4 of one artwork stacked
    Remember, I’ve opened dozens of that exact same box and never had any of those four things happen.
    I can’t be certain but those things warrant caution. Also, keep in mind the box changed hands at least a couple times.
    The guy also stated the original seller contacted him a couple years later wanting to buy it back and open the box and give up a couple packs. This struck me as an effort to instill confidence in their being real.
    Lastly, with little effort he could have increased his return by 10 to 20 thousand.

Does anybody here catch my drift?

21 Likes

Would have loved to pick up the trio. Wow, interesting stuff. But yes… he should’ve sold the box

edit: good points from Gary above

Such a genuine guy to do business with. He took a photo of all the packs, numbered them, and let me personally choose the ones I wanted. That just doesn’t ever happen. Coming straight from a sealed box opened on video you can’t get any better than that in terms of authenticity.

8 Likes

Gorgeous beard

This was a sine-qua-non opportunity to buy packs–congrats, Rev!

Pokemonrevolution, Can I be nosey and ask if you’re going to open any? Keep em all sealed? Grade them? I’m excited for you!!

2 Likes

PokemonRev, after reading what Gary said, if you end up opening a pack please let us know what you get/if they’re real!

2 Likes

I can’t speak for any of the buyers but I would expect ~12 newly graded holos to hit eBay over the next several months as well as about 15-20 loose or graded packs (some will stay in collections I’m sure).

ETA: I guess some of the holos will likely stay in collections too so maybe only several holos will hit eBay.

2 Likes

We’re pulling for you:)

3 Likes

Are people still grading boosters? Crazy that people are paying upwards of a grand for packs. I struggled selling my PSA 10 pack for $500 about 8 months ago. It took me about a month to find a buyer and now people are paying double…I wish I had just kept it ungraded it would have saved me time and money and probably would have been easier to sell. It seems a lot of people find the case unappealing. If I were selling a pack now I would definitely go that route. Not sure why anybody would waste the time grading it if they are only planning on selling. I think it limits the buyer pool.

1 Like