Yahoo Japan Scam?

Sad day…

So my buyee package came today… I had purchased a fair sized lot of cards advertised as “old back and 2 binders of pokemon cards”

There was a tub of cards with what looked like mostly old backs… but when the package arrived there were only about 10 old back jpn cards in total (the rest being modern bulk :slightly_frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face: )

To add salt to the wound, the “2 binders of pokemon cards” came with only 1 page of pokemon cards in them each…

WTF who does this

Westerner bait listing:(
This is not even uncommon, happens quite often unfortunately

8 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty malicious… these listings are supposed supposed to look unsorted and all, maybe one of the photos barely shows a Masaki card in one of the binder pages, as if the guy with his “amateur’s eye” doesn’t know it’s valuable… might be others in that binder, right?! They don’t even need to swap stuff out to scam you, just make it seem like they’re selling their kid’s collection - this one sounds even worse though. Really sorry.

2 Likes

Can use Paypal to get back money. Buyee will ban you but it’s okay. Just recreate Buyee account with new address to continue using its service.

This… It’s all too easy… and they know they’ll get away with it. YJ has become a scammers playground recently.

1 Like

There are a ton of listings like this. I still bid on some of these though, because as long as you only bid an amount according to what’s visible to you (usually one page of holos and then a bunch of “unsorted cards”) then you can still do ok.

I had one come up the other day that had a Coro Coro Mew in the binder, and my max bid was just the market price of a damaged Coro Coro Mew. Either I win at that price and pay market value for the Mew (maybe even cheaper if somehow it’s not damaged) with a bunch of extra stuff, or I lose and it doesn’t matter. I won that one, so it’s definitely possible to get it for cheaper than the sellers want it to go for. Obviously that goes out the window if they don’t even send you what’s pictured, but that hasn’t happened to me yet.

Bottom line is don’t increase your bid based off of stuff you can’t see.

7 Likes

lmfao you have described it to a tee…

Could make a little skit out of that…

“the seller starts drooling as the unsuspecting buyers finger presses bid. ‘ah yes, another victim caught in my trap’”

-Thanks for the condolences btw

Buyee didn’t scam the OP, the auction seller did. So, there is absolutely no justification for the OP to use PayPal to get the money back.

10 Likes

imo this is 100% on you OP. You bought what is essentially a lottery listing and are upset that you got everything that they said they would include. You got an unknown number of old back cards. You got 2 binders with some unknown number of cards in them. Refunding through paypal would be such a scumbag move on your part

Damn, no condolences for a purposefully misleading listing?

4 Likes

Honestly the listing isn’t even all that misleading. It’s just designed to get the hopes of Westerners up thinking they’ve stumbled on some Japanese collection gold mine. As was pointed out, everything that was pictured was received. There was just the “hope” of receiving more that wasn’t delivered on.

It’s scummy to make these bait listings, but knowing about these and avoiding them is basically Yahoo Japan 101. You have to be super careful with zero buyer protection.

1 Like

He got old back cards and 2 binders with cards in them. What exactly is misleading? It’s a stupid listing and nobody should buy it

American eBay sellers do the exact same thing. Not sure OP made the assumption that Japanese sellers are all pure-hearted enough to not pull this stuff.

Honestly depends on what the original listing had. Were there any actual pictures of the binders or anything in the description about only x amount of old back cards. For the bin of cards if the description says anything about x amount of cards thats on OP but for the binders if there was no pictures or anything saying how much was going to be sent, OP is a dum dum for falling for it but the seller is scummy because “2 binders of cards” clearly means more than a single page to anyone and anything less is obviously purposefully a scam. And even worse if there was pictures of the binders with more than 1 page of cards in them.

Again I’d want to see everything the original listing said to determine how naïve OP was or not but this definitely seems like a scam and not sure why more blame isn’t put on the person trying to swindle someone over the person that got swindled.

Jeeeze guys…

All I wanted was bulk old backs to complete old sets…

Saying I’m dumb for buying it isn’t very cool lol. And it is was pretty misleading post “bulk old backs”.

Seeing as I wasn’t hoping for anything of huge value in the first place I’d say it’s a pretty honest mistake.

If I was buying it because I thought it would be a huge mint holo lot then yeah… That’d be dumb

Just didn’t think someone would be keen to scam on bulk old backs when they aren’t exactly a “gold mine” themselves. Just salty at the pettiness of it

Buy what you see

You aren’t dumb. Everyone here has made this same purchase. Just learn to buy only what you see! I assume less when buying from Japan, as there is no protection. Doubting condition is a big one, as “beauty goods” is completely meaningless. If there is a silver lining to your experience, you won’t forget it next time!

10 Likes

Don’t beat yourself or become hypervigilant then believe everything is a scam. Learn from this experience and know you’re not the only one who has been scammed. Worst thing you could do is let it happen again or stop altogether. Buyee is a risk, but you can mitigate those risks.

2 Likes

I fell for this scam too. 5 times in one sitting. $1000 dollars later and a couple 1000ct boxes of damaged bulk from misc 2007-2018 sets here i am with a hard lesson learned. I had hit the lottery on about 10 collection buys prior from yahoo jp so its kinda funny i fell so hard on my face that night. I think they all came from the same seller, and they charged me the shipping fee each time even though they combined -.-

Live and learn

1 Like