Worth it?

Just getting back into collection. Walmart had a bunch of $7.98 1 pack + 5 cards of roaring skies, shining legends, and primal clash. I bought 8 total of those, 3 team up packs, and a Battle Heart Magearna tin for $12.98. Were the tin and “blisters” worth it as they have some older sets? Or is it trash cards that come with them. Was considering returning the $8 packs. There was 2 more of those tins available too.

1 Like

Most of those second hand products sold in stores like Walmart and Target do not have a good return on investment. They will advertise things such as “2 packs plus FIVE MYSTERY FOIL CARDS INCLUDED!” which allows them to market it way higher than the individual cards are worth. They wouldn’t be selling them if they were giving you more value than they put into it. I’d stick to just things produced by the Pokémon card company.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I would rather buy more packs or 2 more tins tbh. Are those sets worth it? My collection is pretty large but it’s all WOTC cards and some cards up till like 2005-6ish. So any of the newer sets I don’t have much of except for a few random S&M set packs I’ve gotten.

For modern products, if you’re not buying booster boxes with 36 packs or a box set that comes with a special promo you’re probably spending more money than you need to.

Not recommended to buy the 3rd party Pokemon product at retail stores. They almost always carry junk and not worth it. I just purchased 2 of the ‘mystery cubes’ for $40 and got $3 worth of cards from it. They sell a lot of other stuff, like random packs with sleeves or a pack of 100 loose cards with foils.It’s easy to distinguish between the official and 3rd party when it comes to the packaging quality.

When shopping at these places, I usually go with the officially licensed tins, elite trainer boxes or the individual booster packs in cardboard wrapping.

As for weather it is ‘worth it’ or not depends on your interest and value placed on newer cards, combined with the added joy of opening. There are some nice looking cards to be had with each set.

How can I find out/is there a list of what is en each set? So I know what “newish” sets are worth getting. Like which ones are more valuable and which ones are reprints. For instance I’ve heard steam siege is terrible but idk why. I want to only get packs that are the most bang for your buck.

I only pick these repackaged cards if I know they have an older booster pack that I want to add to my collection. This pretty much never happens though. I did recently buy a 3 booster pack +1 random foil pack from Target because I could see it had BW Legendary Treasures, Flashfire, and Ultra Prism for $14. The end of BW/ beginning of XY was a pretty special time for me and so I thought it was amazing being able to step back in time a few years and purchase these sets at a retailer. I also picked up a 3 pack of Furious Fists from the same place. It put a huge smile on my face that day! These are all currently staying in my sealed booster collection.

Additionally, where in stores can I buy boxes to put my sleeved cards? Putting all my binder cards into regular sleeves so they stay in better shape.

Check Youtube channels like Leonhart, Deriums (Mikey’s Wednesday video) and I think also PokeSoup has opened them. It will give you a very good and quick impression what junk you’ll be buying.

i remember my local store doing that back with base jungle and fossil i got three packs from jungle and then 1 made up pack like this (we only started getting the packs when base was all sold out and only had jungle box in store( i never got anything good but my sister manage to get a few holos) it was fun but now a days you want the proper stuff it was fun when i was younger :blush:

Target had a Shiny Darkrai GX collection box for $14.99 or 15.99. Seems like a good deal?