Wizards of the Coast Acrylic Commemorative Piece for Year 2000 - Black Star Holo Promo Mew

Recently we have seen a few of these emergy on the internet and for sale with them being shared on the forum so I thought I would make a post about it hopefully people will find it interesting and can be used as a record on these items.

This is a Wizards of the Coast Commemorative acrylic piece with a holographic Black Star Mew Promo Pokémon card encapsulated. This piece was given to select UK retailers as a celebration of the successful year of sales that they have achieved in the year 2000. According to Stephen Wilks the ex managing director of WOTC UK only 20 were ever made making this a rare and historic piece. On the acrylic case you can see it is signed off by him.

I have contact with Stephen through my work and have seen the above piece in person, he recently brought to me another version of this. According to Stephen the below copy was a prototype made for WOTC before the final version was decided on and made to give to retailers.

There is a notable difference compared to other versions we have seen, the card placement and text placement is switched positions. On other versions I have seen the card is on the left and text is on the right (as in the first picture).

One other thing I noted was that the apperance of the card encapsulated is different to a typical black star promo holo Mew - the texture on the holo is not the same. Additionally, there is stress marks around the edges and you can see a very thin white border around the back of the card. I was wondering if this could be caused during the encapsulation of the card in the acrylic, if for example it was exposed to heat? Or if it could be some form of prototype card. Stephen does not remember much about the card itself so cannot confirm anything on this. See pictures below:

Here you can see a direct comparision compared to a normal black star holo Mew promo:

If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this I would be interested to hear!

One other thing of note is that some have specific retailers listed in the text and some do not.
In this prototype version according to Stephen a false company name was used, Nottingville as a company does not exist.

This version below posted on reddit lists CWS Retail otherwise known as the The Co-operative Group (or often known as Co-Op for short).

There is also a Podcast with Stephen where we discuss a bit about this piece as well as his experiences working at WOTC and in the Pokemon world in general for anyone interested:

Additional Edit

Another copy was brought to me this week by the former UK sales director Jeremy Pateman, he worked alongside Steve Wilks who put him in touch with me. This copy is like the first, has the card placement on the left and text placement on the right. The note is not made out to a specific name or company. The Mew card is very sunfaded but does not exhibit the damage/strange holo texture some of the others do. Images below for reference.

29 Likes

This so nice to see again. I remember in 2015 someone posted an eBay link here on E4 for one of those. Back then, it costed $50. I decided not to buy it because I was a poor student and $50 seemed too expensive …

3 Likes

This card is iconic! One of my childhood faves. But I prefer the JPN version with golden border.

Is the card embedded in the acrylic? Was a recess created to insert the card, or is it sandwiched between two pieces, or is there another method used?

1 Like

Nothing says late 90s/early 2000s quite like Comic Sans font on an acrylic award :joy:

10 Likes

They should remake this card in 24K gold, like that Ginza Tanaka pikachu card:

It looks to me like it’s been sandwiched between two pieces, but I’m no expert in acrylics. I can’t see any sort of recess. Here’s some side on pictures which might help?

5 Likes

This was also my question, because if the card can be removed and there is a rare UK variant of Mew #9 you better believe I’m smashing that thing with a damn hammer.

But it looks like it might not be retrievable based on the images above.

4 Likes

Only one way to find out. Smash it and see how it turns out

9 Likes

I would guess it likely is foil damage from the process of bonding two acrylic pieces, usually it seems thats done with a slight heating.

3 Likes

To me that mew looks like a reback.

I’m thinking the card was physically altered by being sandwiched like that, which is why I asked. I’m skeptical it’s a unique variant. There were sooo many of those Mew printed, most likely it was just taken from the top of a pile. The test one being damaged suggests it may have been from a pile with qc issues

2 Likes

It is time to start sandwiching cards between hot acrylic — for science!

1 Like

I agree with @pfm. I would be surprised if this was truly a different variant. Its one of the most printed cards, and English was never known for doing variants.

Not trying to diminish it whatsoever. I think its a cool piece in its own right, and have seen multiple appear over the years, I just highly doubt the card is a physical variant.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree, I think the most likely answer is that it is damage from being incased in acrylic. Not sure if they would have used some kind of resin as well that may have created that effect on the holo.

Still a pretty cool item, and hopefully this is a good record for anyone interested in them in the future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re at the top of Google so the information is definitely available now :dizzy:

15 Likes

Google for the win!

I did some digging and found the post about the plaque from October 2015.

Maybe there is more info about it in there.

1 Like

I’ve just purchased one recently, and it seems different to both in the pictures.

I would love to know more about it, like who pinnacle software was and what they had to do with Pokémon.

11 Likes

I just checked with Steve he said:

"Pinnacle Software were a distributor based down in Kent .
They were our distributor for the software / gaming sector. "

3 Likes