Wizards of the Coast Black Star Promos - HD Image List (ENG)

Hello everyone,

Here’s a complete list of all English Wizards of the Coast Black Star Promos, including their print variants. There are 53 cards, but 70 if you include the variants.

Happy collecting
:blush:

1 Pikachu - 1st Edition

1 Pikachu

Pikachu (Japan Release)

2 Electabuzz (WB Stamp)

2 Electabuzz (Inverted WB Stamp)

3 Mewtwo (WB Stamp)

3 Mewtwo (Inverted WB Stamp)

4 Pikachu (WB Stamp)

4 Pikachu (Inverted WB Stamp)

4 Pikachu (Missing WB Stamp)

5 Dragonite (WB Stamp)

5 Dragonite (Inverted WB Stamp)

6 Arcanine

7 Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff (Japan Release)

8 Mew

8 Mew (Glossy)

9 Mew-Holo

10 Meowth

10 Meowth-Holo

11 Eevee (Japan Release)

11 Eevee-Holo

12 Mewtwo

13 Venusaur-Holo

14 Mewtwo

15 Cool Porygon-Holo

16 Computer Error

17 Dark Persian-Holo

17 Dark Persian-Holo (Missing 60 HP)

18 Team Rocket’s Meowth

19 Sabrina’s Abra

20 Psyduck

21 Moltres

21 Moltres (Incorrect Illustrator Toshinao Aoki)

22 Articuno

22 Articuno (Incorrect Illustrator Toshinao Aoki)

23 Zapdos

23 Zapdos (Incorrect Illustrator Toshinao Aoki)

24 Birthday Pikachu-Holo

24 Birthday Pikachu (Pokemon World Collection)

25 Flying Pikachu

26 Pikachu

27 Pikachu

28 Surfing Pikachu

29 Marill

30 Togepi

31 Cleffa

32 Smeargle

33 Scizor

34 Entei-Reverse Holo

35 Pichu-Reverse Holo

36 Igglybuff

37 Hitmontop

38 Unown J

39 Misdreavus

40 Pokemon Center

41 Lucky Stadium-N.Y. Center

42 Pokemon Tower

43 Machamp

44 Magmar

45 Scyther

46 Electabuzz

47 Mew

48 Articuno

49 Snorlax

50 Celebi

51 Rapidash

51 Rapidash (No Pokemon Center NY)

52 HO-Oh

52 HO-Oh (No Pokemon Center NY)

53 Suicune

14 Likes

Very nice. :blush:

I really like the WOTC black star promos. This was the first set I ever specifically set out to collect and complete. I didn’t know about a lot of these errors, so I definitely appreciate the information.

Small thing: I think one of those Ho-oh pictures was supposed to be a Rapidash.

3 Likes

@JoshsOddCollection The other WB promos are available without stamps as well. I own the Pikachu, but I’ve also seen the Mewtwo and Dragonite before. I think both are in TCA’s collection. I also know that David Persin has a full set of both inverted and no stamp WB promos, although he hasn’t shown them in one of his videos yet.

And as mentioned above by @squirtle1000, you accidently put the wrong picture at Rapidash without Pokémon Center NY stamp.

Also, I see you’ve included the non-holo Eevee, which was released in Japan. In that case you can also add the #1 Pikachu from Japan; #7 Jigglypuff from Japan; glossy #8 Mew from Japan; and non-Holo #10 Meowth from Japan. All were in English, but all were released in Japan only, just like the non-Holo Eevee.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Dang, I was unaware of unstamped promos 2-5! Just another variant of those I’ll never get to own haha

1 Like

Thank you! Also lol, that’s what I get for staying up until 3am to complete it. Fixed, thank you :blush:

Good to know, I’ll have to get some pictures of those so that I can add them :blush:

Do you know if the non-holo Eevee has an English back or a Japanese back?

It has an English back :blush:

2 Likes

@tenaciousm17 @quuador lol, of course they would do that. Why make it easy for us collectors? :blush: Thanks for the info, I’ll add those after I get home from work!

How can you tell the difference between the #1 Pikachu from Japan/#7 Jigglypuff from Japan and the ones released everywhere else? :open_mouth:

Those are pretty easy to tell apart. I meant the grey stamp cards. Here a side-by-side of the Pikachu cards:

Row 1 column 1
English WotC promo Japanese Bessatsu CoroCoro Comic - April 1999 (March 1999)

The Jigglypuff has a similar difference. Here a picture of the Japanese Jigglypuff I copied from google images:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador Awesome thank you, I’ll add those to the guide right now :blush:

pkmncards.com/?s=black+star&display=full&sort=date&order=

this site is a great resource for images if you want to save time cropping and rotating all these individually.

3 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster on that note, I use pokemontcg.io for most images I share here. It doesn’t have all of the variants mentioned above, but it has most of the cards here pictured: pokemontcg.io/cards?setCode=basep&pageSize=100.

1 Like

@pkmnflyingmaster @pichufan Thanks, I use pkmncards as one of my resources but I personally don’t like how all of their images have the cards square. I’d prefer if it showed a full card scan (corners and all) so I chose to crop them myself.

Also thanks for that pokemontcg API, I never knew about that website and it looks very helpful!

Actually, unless I completely misunderstood our quick chat in the Youtube comments of his video about the WotC Promos set, he doesn’t own all of the Upside-Down WB stamps cards. He does, however, 100% own the missing stamp one

1 Like

Ah ok, didn’t knew that. Even though the Upside Down versions are easier to find than the ones without stamp. I’ve only seen the Mewtwo and Dragonite each once without stamp, and I own the Pikachu myself. Never seen the Electabuzz yet. But as for Upside Down stamped versions, I’ve seen all four of them at least six times each.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@JoshsOddCollection One more English variant missing I now notice: non-Holo Birthday Pikachu with golden tail stamp, from the Pikachu Collection 2000 set (fun fact: the artwork is less zoomed in than the Holofoil version).

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@JoshsOddCollection, one more to add onto here. The Mewtwo 12 also has a English version Japanese release as part of the JR stamp rally. It came with the non-holo eevee. It is really really hard to spot the difference. But it is printed on Japanese card stock, and the colour is a very very slightly different shade. Other than that they are identical, but for mad people like me it still counts haha.

1 Like

Wait until you hear about this one, if you haven’t already.

1 Like