Black Star Promo - original Wizards of the Coast set

Hey all,

I have been creating a Black Star Promo set that I am looking to fully complete. I know there are going to be a few Ultra Rare cards that’ll be hard to find and possibly quite expensive too. I was hoping to create this thread to help me with the understanding of all the possible cards that make up this set; including any variant, errors or reprints. I’m only really focusing on the English cards though.

Feel free to let me know your favourite cards from this set or the cards you remember getting and adding to your collection.

This is my list so far;
_

1. Ivy Pikachu, 2. WB Electabuzz + sealed 3. WB Mewtwo + sealed 4. WB Pikachu + sealed 5. WB Dragonite + sealed

2. Arcanine 7. Jigglypuff 8. Mew 9. Holo Mew 10. Holo meowth + sealed 11. Holo Eevee 12. Mewtwo 13. Holo Venusaur

3. Mewtwo + sealed 15. Cool Porygon + sealed 16. Computer Error 17. Dark Persian + Error 18. Team Rocket’s Meowth 19. Sabrina’s Abra

4. Psyduck 21. Error Moltres + sealed 22. Error Articuno + sealed 23. Error Zapdos + sealed 24. Birthday Pikachu 25. Flying Pikachu

5. Pikachu 27. Pikachu 28. Surfing Pikachu 29. Marill 30. Togepi 31. Cleffa 32. Smeargle 33. Scizor 34. Reverse Holo Entei +

sealed 35. Reverse Holo Pichu 36. Igglybuff 37. Hitmontop 38. Unown J 39. Misdreavus 40. Pokemon Centre + sealed 41. Lucky Stadium +

sealed 42. Pokemon Tower 43. Machamp 44. Magmar 45. Scyther 46. Electabuzz 47. Error Mew 48. Articuno 49. Snorlax +

signed copy 50. Celebi + sealed 51. Rapidash + Pokemon Center NY 52. Ho-oh + Pokemon Centre NY 53. Suicune 00. Ancient Mew

I also have a PSA graded 9 Ivy Pikachu 1st edition, grey star Jigglypuff #7, the english ‘correct illustrator’ legendary birds, and a Japanese ‘corrected’ Ancient Mew in its promotion booklet that are on their way.

I would love to know if my set is near completion. I know of;

grey star Ivy Pikachu #1 and Mew #8, the inverted gold WB stamped original movie cards, the two non holo JR railway cards Meowth #10 and Eevee #11, gold tail stamp Birthday Pikachu and Japanese error ‘Nintedo’ Ancient Mew

If anyone knows of any more please let me know as I’m trying to make this my most complete set!

Thank you

Nick

1 Like

Hi Nick,

So you collect only English WotC promos, but with every possible variation, misprint, special release, stamp, etc.?

I’m a Pikachu collector myself, and here are all the English WotC Pikachu promo variations I know about:

1. Ivy Pikachu
    1. Ivy Pikachu - 1st edition misprint
    1. Ivy Pikachu - LPPCollecting English stamp (Italian release)
    1. Ivy Pikachu - LPPCollecting Italian stamp (Italian release)
    1. Ivy Pikachu - Glossy Grey stamp (Japanese release)
    1. WB Pikachu
    1. WB Pikachu - Inverted WB Stamp misprint (I’m still looking for this one myself)
    1. Birthday Pikachu - Holofoil promo
    1. Birthday Pikachu - Pokémon World Collection 2000 non-holo
    1. Flying Pikachu
    1. Pikachu SNAP
    1. Bumblebee Pikachu
    1. Surfing Pikachu

And one more I know about is:

1. Mew - Glossy Gotta Magazine (Japanese release)

But apart from the Inverted WB stamps, that Mew is probably gonna be the hardest to find. Some people almost went insane when they finally got their hands on a copy. :stuck_out_tongue: Nah jk, but it took @skinst quite a while to track down. :wink:

EDIT: Also, I see you’ve included the Nintedo misprint of the Japanese Ancient Mew. If you also include the Japanese versions of Ancient Mew, there are actually four different versions. Here is an article about the four variations.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

The 3 JR rally promos are my favorite in this set.
The third one is the 12 Mewtwo the cardstock it was printed on is different but I could never really tell.

Hey Sam, the JR rally promo’s were the one I have been looking into mainly though didn’t know about Mewtwo, is there any way to tell which is the JR edition?

Hi Quuador,

I have been speaking to someone about that mew recently, i only just heard about it to be honest. Thanks for the update on the pikachu’s, I definitely see the inverted WB stamp being a problem for all 4 movie cards.

What are the Italian cards you mentioned?

Thanks
Nick

It’s printed on the Japanese cardstock. Someone else here will have to elaborate on the difference because I could never determine it myself, even holding them next to each other. I feel like I still have the mewtwo and eevee so I’ll have to pull them out. The meowth, I did have, seems to be the hardest to find.

Do you know maybe a good place to look other than eBay? It’s a shame you can’t buy and sell on here haha

Nick

The difference of the Mew is very easy, it’s Glossy instead of a regular print.

The difference of the Mewtwo you are talking about I don’t know. I’ve also heard there are two different releases, but I’ve never heard about any way to distinguish one from the other.
It isn’t the same as the English Shadowless Base Pikachu that has been released in the Japanese CD promo set, though. That one can be distinguished by shining through them with a flashlight. The one from the CD promo has been printed on Japanese paper instead of English, which is slightly thinner.) But from what I’ve heard, the two releases of that Mewtwo (and some other cards?) are both printed on the same paper, look exactly the same, so no idea how to tell them apart. Is there even a way to tell them apart? Kinda reminds me of the 2nd & 3rd print runs of the Base set. We know the 1st print run is Shadowless/1st edition, and the 4th has a copy-right date of ©1999-2000 instead of ©1999, but the difference between the 2nd and 3rd can’t be told, because there is no difference.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I just went and found the mewtwo and the eevee. It was a little easier than I thought to find them. I put them up to the light and sure enough the light shines right through them. I tested with other cards of course to provide a comparison.

1 Like

Yea I think when it comes to the cards that don’t have any real difference unless shining torches through etc it be a bit far. Things like different stamps, (gold tail on Birthday pikachu, Grey star etc.) are what I’m going for even to the misprint of illustrator on the US versions of the legendary birds and the corrected UK version.

I will end up starting a base set collection soon, that’s gonna be interesting haha!

Nick

Would you have a picture you could put on here so I can compare them to ones I see for sale?

It would be really handy if you could :wink:
Nick

sure thing. here are some of the different ones I found. The only reason I knew I was purchasing a jr rally mewtwo is because it was “sealed” in the package still.

i.imgur.com/WBesDW2.jpg
i.imgur.com/9xOdnu7.jpg
i.imgur.com/0mS0g68.jpg

here is an ebay auction of the three
www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-card-Eevee-Mewtwo-2000-JR-Stamp-Rally-Promo-Set-Excellent-from-Japan-/252733926047?hash=item3ad81daa9f:g:Bg0AAOSw-0xYgxIJ

www.ebay.com/itm/Meowth-10-JR-RAILROAD-Black-Star-Promo-SUPER-RARE-Pokemon-Card-NEAR-MINT-/262318356569?hash=item3d13647859:g:gvkAAOSwzgRW2KJ0

Thank you this is perfect!

I’m on it!!!

Cheers Sam

YOU BET I ALMOST WENT INSANE.

Also Nick if you find a Gotta! Mew please tell me cause I want a mint one too. >> Or a sealed one.

You can buy here

efour.proboards.com/board/13/buy-trade

I feel I could be in for a bumpy ride haha, I’m looking to get my hands on a couple of the grey star pikachu’s too if anyone knows of any knocking about?

:grin:

1 Like

Haha this site rocks!!!

Cheers omahanime

1 Like