Will Worlds 2020 be Cancelled?

Just heard some Amazon worker from Seattle has been diagnosed, hopefully he wasn’t in the packaging department…

1 Like

We have nearly 5000 E4 members from every country in the world. Anybody have a count of how many of us have died from the coronavirus or at least how many survived it. Maybe we need another E4 Poll?

I think some event cancellations lately have been unnecessary in some countries. I kinda understand them in Asia and Italy but cancelling even in countries that don’t have that many cases yet is a bit of a overreaction in my opinion. Of course when it comes to Worlds it depends on how the situation is closer to the date.

It will not. Coronavirus is just a flue strain and that will die out when temperatures go up. Also in 2 weeks from now they are starting speeded up human trials for a vaccine. If that works, the coronavirus strain will be added to the annual flue shots in fall 2020. Also, if it works it can be given to the people in the southern hemisphere during their flue season.

Countries, states, counties, provinces, cities are all taking their own judgment and calls on it. Not all made on facts and all to prevent loss of face when they let their event go and people get sick. August is far far away and unless we see a sudden explosion of corona in Europe the next 2 to 3 weeks, which I seriously doubt, nothing will be cancelled.

Is it? Not from the statistics that I’ve seen. Happy to be proved wrong though. :blush:

It’s not an influenza strain, please see my more realistic post. We don’t know how this virus will behave in the coming months. In the UK we’ve just gone from 40 ish cases a few days ago, to 116 cases as of right now. We know it will get worse before it gets better.

As for the vaccine, the reality is the most optimistic pharmaceutical researchers and manufacturers would be pushing it to suggest the vaccine could be ready by the end of the year, ( honestly, that’s a really unrealistic idea), and even then, this outbreak will have run whatever course it’s going to take by that point

Not trying to scaremonger, but there’s no use in making outlandish assumptions, let’s see how things develop, as honestly no one knows at this point

2 Likes

i thought there were only 4 nations? earth, water, air, and fire?? who are the other 2?

6 Likes

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” -Benjamin Franklin

2 Likes

The 2020 Europe International Championships have been cancelled.

www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/update-for-the-2020-pokemon-europe-international-championships/?cid=&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=euic2020

“For the events directly organized by The Pokémon Company International, we examine each event on a case-by-case basis, informed by the latest updates issued by appropriate government and World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations. Currently, there are no plans to postpone or cancel the 2020 Pokémon North America International Championships or 2020 Pokémon World Championships. However, we are closely monitoring the situation and will keep the community updated in real time on our website and @playpokemon should circumstances change.”

5 Likes

Any viable information about the outbreak comes from lots of studies which each have very different parameters. Everybody, including anyone who thinks governments and organizers overreact, can read the studies themselves. That’s just not very fun, so you can go up the ladder of trustworthy sources like science magazines, official health instutitions, news reports that link the studies and not just other news reports, etc.

It should be so very crucial for everybody to discuss what to do based on the same replicable, falsifiable data, but that just seems utopian. :stuck_out_tongue:

@way2slowbro yeah the Corona Virus death rate is nearing 3.5%, while the flu is around 0.01%. This is because we have vaccines for the flu, otherwise I think the two would be similar in mortality rates based on the similar symptoms. Not sure how true that is, I haven’t done much research on the matter. It would seem that the world is in a race for a vaccine because a hypothetical 100% infection rate across the world could be pretty devastating.

I am optimistic that it will be taken care of in time for Worlds. I was really thinking of trying to make it there this year

2 Likes

This NYT article does a pretty solid summary of what we currently know and also the risks of what we don’t know:www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

8 Likes

I study infectious diseases and after having read this article I can say that this is some of the most accurate and responsible reporting on COVID19 that I have seen.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, my background is genomics and a bit of immunology so I understand a fair amount about infectious diseases (but I wouldn’t claim to be an expert). I think there was a lot of general ignorance or borderline misinformation in this thread so I did a bit of googling to compare corona to influenza and came across that article that says everything I wanted to and more. I also thought it was extremely responsible reporting that just stuck to facts and accurately compares the new virus to the flu.
A few things I want to add to what was said in the article:
A lot of people just straight compare the % of people that have died of flu vs corona. This may give a skewed perspective. Virulence is definitely an important factor but how easily the disease spreads is also a super important factor. A disease that kills 90% (ex. ebola) of people infected but only infects 200 people will only kill 190 people. A disease that infects 10% of people in the US and kills 1% of them (ex. the flu) will kill 330 thousand people.
Although small percentages or rare events might seem harmless, when you multiply them by very large numbers it quickly becomes a problem. Assume a 3% death rate. Seems small. If 10% of people worldwide are infected: 23 million deaths, about the same number of people died from the bubonic plague in Europe. TLDR: a small number multiplied by a big number is a big number

6 Likes

How can people not like Klopp. Top class lad right there

3 Likes

I have a bit of a background in genomics as well. What do you do for a living? In the near future I will be applying to PhD programs in Microbiology.

1 Like

Yes

Earlier in the week they were saying 9 states have patients, now it is 23.

South by SouthWest has been canceled due to Covid19.

Our city has its first person that lives here come down with it. She was in England and had mild symptoms while out in public for the past 2 weeks.

I mostly work in the relm of bioinformatics. Currently using modern sequencing data to build de novo assemblies of a human disease cohort :blush:

1 Like