Don’t Get Caught Up in the Fear

Will all the fear talk, I wanted to put out a message of positivity.

When checking today, only 40 people have died from the corona virus in the United States. Out of these 40 people, most were elderly and/or had a weakened immune system. (They didn’t die because of just the corona virus)

Compare that to the 16,000 people have died from the regular flu during the 2019-2020 flu season. But we don’t worry about the flu at all.

For most people that catch the bug, the symptoms are that of a typical cold. Runny nose, sore throat, cough. And then you get better.

But bottom line, it’s not as bad as the media is portraying. Don’t get caught up in the hysteria. Don’t sell your investments. Don’t make rash decisions.

We will get through this! If you are willing to take a gamble, there are some great deals on stocks right now!!

Stay healthy friends! God bless!!

12 Likes

Comparing a data point from the first couple weeks of a exponential graph (coronavirus) to a data point taken at the 3 months into a more linear graph (flu), is a very foolish comparison in my opinion.

Would you rather have $100 a day for three months, or a penny doubled each day for three months. Of course the $100 is going to look “bigger” if you’re looking at data from the first week. At the end of just 30 days though, option two yields $5,368,709.12

I realize this analogy is not entirely representative of the situation at hand, but I think people need to realize the potential severity of the situation and plan for the worst while hoping for the best. Just my two cents :wink:

10 Likes

It’s a semi-dead horse by now, but google “flatten the curve”, please. A couple million infected, of which only 5 percent show severe symptoms over an entire year is way easier to handle than the same number at once. The measures that certain heads of government played down just two weeks ago are, in fact, needed for any healthcare system to handle this pandemic.

1 Like

You and I may not be affected by this, but remember that people will still be affected by this. I get that your message is that we shouldn’t be fearful, but I just want to say that we should all still be cautious

Here’s a good message from one of my favorite Celtics

1 Like

This is a much needed post, and thank you @admiral77 for the share here.

While I know the points listed in comparison to the flu were intended to lessen the aspect of fears in this time, I can see where others may take this key point and find reason to wrestle with it a bit as opposed to focusing on the key meaning behind the post which is showing and keeping positivity, even through rough times.

Regardless how severe or not severe, and regardless of any negativity which might rise or “debates” over many issues involved with the world situations at hand, what matters most is we continue to take our own precautions, maintain that personal hygiene care, and remain on the course of life with a bright mentality even though it may seem difficult to see things in that sense. Try to gear panic and any fear into healthy awareness instead, and with that coupled with proper engagement with others void of toxicity, we could almost ensure that we will all see those brighter days ahead.

At the end of the day, were all in this together and by sticking as such with a positive mindset, we will all push through and see those better times down the road.

3 Likes

USA Covid 19 cases are on a similar track as Italy, but a week behind. Italy’s cases are forecasted not to peak for 2 more weeks. Everything is shut down in Italy except grocery stores and pharmacies.

The CDC is saying Covid 19 has a fatality 10 times that of the flu. Why? Many have had the flu, many get flu shots. Neither of those are true in this situation.

I am not saying to panic, because panicking will accomplish NOTHING. I am saying wash your hands thoroughly. Avoid crowds.

As for those saying it isn’t bad, its all media hype. Do you really think the NCAA would give up BILLIONS in income over media hype.

We all need to stay calm and be there for others, when they feel overwhelmed by this new experience.

8 Likes

This is correct. You can only compare the mortality rate.

The Flu has a mortality rate of under 0.1% and Covid-19 is at 3.72%.

1 Like

I’ve been heavily invested in inverse ETF’s for a few weeks.
It went up 20% today, hehe

I had to check that calculation myself then :joy:

Does it check out? I quit 4 calculations in lol

1 Like

@acebren 0.01 x 2 to the power of 30 is actually 10,737,418.20
I suppose it depends if you’re doubling it on the first day or not. Too much detail for a Friday morning haha

2 Likes

We don’t even know how many people in the US have the damn virus because we can’t afford to test even a basic slate of “high-risk individuals”. We’re just now getting there.

It’s not about how many people have died from this vs. the flu. It’s about how easily it’s transmitted and how much higher its mortality rate is. If 50 million people in the US are infected, that would leave, at this rate, approximately 3-4 million people dead. That’s not such a happy number, is it? I’m not one to argue in favor of panic, but I do want to argue in favor of caution and I urge people to take precautions here because the “it’s just a media play” stance is a dangerous one.

2 Likes

Urging people to be “cautious” and take “precautions” assumes incredible ignorance or an ‘under a rock’ residence;)

Exactly this. Don’t get fear let in to you. It will severely affect your life and well being as well if you are scared. While I understand some decisions that have been made to prevent the virus spreading, the media is creating hysteria. Don’t get into that.

I’m feeling quite positive that the worst will be over before summer. At least I reeeeaaally hope so. I think positive thinking will help the whole situation.

2 Likes

Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function and are left gasping for air while walking briskly, Hong Kong doctors find

www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3074988/coronavirus-some-recovered-patients-may-have

1 Like

Sorry I can’t upvote this.

The virus starts off like regular cold symptoms then you get pneumonia.
An incubation period of 24 days, so you won’t know if you or others around you have it.

We’re heading for a great depression, this will not just blow over. People should be focusing on stocking up on food and supplies

1 Like

On the bright side new daily patients with the virus are starting to heavily decline in China:
www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/12/21172040/coronavirus-covid-19-virus-charts

If that’s the case a couple months should be a good indicator on how well other countries contain the virus.