Why is modern performing better than vintage?

Vintage has been stagnant for months now, while modern such as Sun and Moon sets are just going up and up.

3 Likes

Market research by leading experts has determined it’s because people like the cards and want to collect them.

46 Likes

I think some of it is that most “vintage” cards already have established, fully formed prices, as in ten+ years of collectors negotiating value for each card - compared to modern cards that havent fully cooked yet, leaving more room to rise

6 Likes

Demand in my opinion. Anecdotally, modern is absolutely huge right now with newer collectors. I see a lot of people who are coming into the hobby now are going after modern special arts as opposed to vintage cards like we saw in 2020/2021. I think the vintage market is more established while modern is very dynamic and growing fast.

Whether the modern trends are sustainable is the big question. Much of the trends seem to defy many of the fundamentals which have driven the market for years. Newer, high pop, easier to obtain but harder to pull cards seem to be the name of the game with modern these days.

20 Likes

Why do horseshit prospect parallel cards in the NFL and NBA sell for 100x more than the rookie cards of hall of famers?

7 Likes

Keys-Dramatic-Glasses-Off-Scene-On-Key-Peele-Gif

1 Like

Is this the same market research by leading experts that bgs used? Lol.

The answer may surprise you: I am the experts

10 Likes

Not surprised lol.

huh i wonder why something that is easily attainable has more movement?

1 Like

Theres something like 2 or 3 cards per moderns set thats collected, the rest are cheap cards even as 10s.

Wotc has every holo as collectable - so it’s being spread thin in terms of moneu going around. And then fatigue sets in.

Plus people would rather buy a moonbreon than an Aquapolis exeggutor for the same price. Me included and i buy vintage exclusively.

Tldr: less cards to collect = more money to spend

13 Likes

I think we should clarify what cards we’re talking about.

The full arts and rainbows are still stagnant. The ‘alt arts’ are the ones skyrocketing.

They are the most or perhaps only collectable cards from modern and their pull rates aren’t high.

You can’t just write off all modern cards and prop up all vintage cards.

1 Like

Modern cards look better

1 Like

27 Likes

Im well aware that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely prefer the terrastalized charizard over the crystal charizard. At least from an art perspective anyway.

1 Like

And that’s fine! The art direction was certainly bold.

1 Like

Picking one over several

9 Likes

For every one e4 post on vintage Pokemon, there are hundreds of Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter posts about modern, alt arts, waifus, etc.

If you step outside of e4, you’ll see that the vast majority of collectors are modern exclusive or heavily leaning.

So in one word: Demand.

12 Likes

Demand for modern is huge. E4 is just a small community bubble compared to the rest of the world.

Well this topic is right up my alley. I’ve always loved Wotc low pop amazing art cards. I found myself losing a decent amount of value across the board last year.

Meanwhile I kept watching all the booster boxes and modern PSA 10s sell so well.

Long story short I switched markets. I also started asking myself when I buy things. Can I add value to this card right this minute? With modern the answer is yes you can grade it in PSA 10. Where Wotc sellers want PSA 9 prices or close for ungraded cards. Which end up grading a 8/9 anyways. The 10 rate is almost impossible with the quality on the market unless you get extremely lucky.

Whatever you do don’t try to open packs to pull alt arts. It’s close to impossible. It happens but it takes so many packs it’s not worth it!

As far as sun and moon the recent increases make perfect sense considering the price of newer alt arts. These were the originals. The box from tag team is like $1200 plus don’t quote me I don’t know the exact number. Which I could have bought plenty of these instead of those Wotc cards which lost value on me.

At the end of the day the money isn’t everything. But I’m sure a lot of you know it sucks to lose value on your cards. The small drops are nothing. But even on the lowest pop cards I lost close to 50 percent of their value on some cards. I also got what I considered deals at the time of purchasing.

Do I still love Wotc cards and ex era. All that good stuff? Fuck yes I do. I also love the art on these alt art cards. To each their own. I kept hoping and praying that the older stuff would start to take off more. But it wasn’t really happening too much on most cards. But who knows what the future holds maybe it turns around one day

2 Likes