Future of Trainer Gallery Cards

The Trainer Gallery collection is one of my favorite things about modern set collecting. I just think they’re super cool and the artwork is fantastic. They’re still very affordable and some are downright cheap at a couple dollars or less.

Where do you all think these will go long term? Were there simply too many printed to ever significantly rise in value?

3 Likes

They will stay the same over time. Probably too many printed for them to increase in value. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

I think they are doing what they were intended to do: give people great artwork at achievable pull rates. It would be detrimental to the Pokemon TCG if every chase card has to be 1 in 4 cases super secret mega ultra level of rarity. For long term value purposes I would agree, not much to be seen there, the print levels are too high

7 Likes

I’m in the same opinion/position as you.
Trainer Gallery cards is my sandbox of fun in Pokemon tcg. I just love them

• they are perfect
  • their art is one of the best ever
  • they cheap to the level when you can swim in them and collect multiple of them just for fun

Post 2020 pokemon tcg can be exausting sometimes but TG cards made it fun.

4 Likes

I think they are great buying opportunities. There is ample quantity and the prices are all fairly cheap across the board. There are a few exceptions, but most of them are under $10. I think that long-term you will see many “hype cards” lose popularity and decrease a lot in price. If the rumored shiny art rares/alt arts ever come to fruition, that could also make a dent in the popularity of the non shiny ones. Anyone’s guess really.

First time I’m hearing about the shiny thing. What exactly is the rumor?

The high class set for this year is called Shiny Treasure. Many are expecting shiny cards to return (like with Shining Star V and Ultra Shiny Gx in previous gens). Since alt arts and art rares didnt really exist for either of those first two sets, its unclear if this set will have them. Given the name implies shiny, everyone is sorta hoping/coping for shiny ar/sar.

2 Likes

best arts in pokemon, jp go up modern stagnate both due to supply vs demand

1 Like

Modern set cards will not increase in value. Every card is immidiately sleeved or send to a grading company. They will still be readily available in 25 years. There is not a single reason as to why they should appreciate.
They are cool cards for affordable prices which is a win-win situation.

3 Likes

you just sound like smpratte, hate this boomer take. Most have gone up already

You dont have to agree but i will explain my thought process. There are millions of trainer gallery cards. They are and will always be in mint condition. ‘If’ the price ever does go up, people will send in more of the millions of copies to get graded > increasing the supply > reducing the value. This will go on for decades for modern pokemon set cards.

3 Likes

^ This part of your post is unnecessary.

9 Likes

Compared to the stonker take from a <20 year old, would much rather have Smpratte’s boomer take😅

This always goes back to supply and demand. The demand seems pretty high on top of ample supply. I guess depending on which set cards, I can see them going up a little but I don’t see them getting a massive increase. I see more the trainer gallery cards going up more for Japanese sets just because I believe the supply is lower. Either way, I love these Trainer Gallery cards and how cheap they are. Regardless if they go up, I love them for my PC.

I agree mostly with this. I actually think the chase cards from sets will increase as the sealed prices increase (i guess i should say if the sealed prices increase, which i think they will).

Some people really think they have gold in their hands like sports card buyers thought in the early 90’s

This is what happened

Oversaturation and Mass Production: One of the main reasons why sports cards from the 90s are often deemed worthless is the oversaturation and mass production during that time . Card manufacturers such as Topps, Upper Deck, and Fleer were producing cards in massive quantities to meet the increasing demand.

Ofcourse anyone can take their own conclusions.

1 Like

Love Trainer Gallery cards. Still wish they’d make them the “new holos” and have pull rates be 1:3 packs.

I like them too. Each swsh set had 1 or 2 that was true alt art tier quality imo. Starmie garchomp serperior rayquaza Umbreon sylveon.

Shame they started so late into swsh

Totally agree with you. But there was certain chase cards from that era that HAVE gone up in value (kobe rookies and such)… but i guess not as much to have a particularily “good” return on investment

Do you have a collection page? Im curious to see what you collect. Seems like mostly first ed holos :fire::fire: