Why are ex era holo's and ex cards so cheap?

I’m so confused why all the ex era cards besides gold stars are so cheap? For example I just bought a power keepers wailren ex for $6 in near mint condition this might be a bad example because it’s a unpopular Pokemon but all others besides charizard are no more than $50 or so. And the box is what 5-6k or so? I don’t follow box prices to a exact number. And what is the pull rate on ex cards? How many per box? Sorry for multiple questions this just blows my mind. I encountered a lot of the same stuff for Wotc 1st editions as well when I was completing my binder of those. Besides base set obviously. Also I noticed there is hardly any PSa graded ex cards on ebay

Raw card prices for ex cards are really not that expensive. Most PSA 9s are like $30-50 right now, maybe closer to $100 or up for the bigger ones. Just watch out with raw mint cards as you’ll be working with that sweet graders gamble premium. There is a big disparity in prices IMO considering you normally get like 2-3 ex cards per box. It’s not like the new sets where you get 8 hits or something.

There aren’t a lot of PSA graded ex cards because people are buying all of them, especially 10s. 9s and lower grades not so much but they’re still turning over fairly quickly. Interest (and prices) have surged over the past several months.

3 Likes

Low demand for many of these sets I think, not many people grew up with these cards compared to WOTC and so these sets don’t have as much nostalgia driving them. People tend to pick the best cards out of sets, this would help explain why the gold stars are so much more expensive. The gold stars and sealed product are also very scarce.

Also these sets came out in 2003-2007 so they have had a little less time to mature compared to WOTC cards, maybe in another few years they will start to see significant growth. WOTC cards are getting more and more expensive so people will soon be looking for the next thing, and EX sets are literally next in line.

Personally I don’t buy them because I didn’t grow up with them and I simply don’t like the aesthetics of most of them.

2 Likes

O gotcha. So the second they hit the market they are gone. Also I’m sure a ton of people didn’t grade their ex cards due to low price even when graded so not much incentive. Well I hope eventually the raw cards get enough attention to eventually drive up the prices to match the box prices. If you only get 3 ex cards or so per box and a box let’s say is 5 grand. Than shouldn’t it be more like at least $300 plus even for non popular pokemon and especially for starters legendarys etc. @sacari and I didn’t grow up with ex era either. I was base set thru fossil before I originally quit. But I finished wotc 1st edition holo’s so now I’m collecting every other era as well. You can check my collection post to see my progress. I still have to update the pictures and lighting because a lot of pictures came out dark or blurry

The overwhelming majority of boxes have already been opened, hence why they command a premium. Most of the old EX cards have already been pulled from boxes and are floating around, no one is going to crack such a rare box just for the EX cards.

Compare the price of a sealed base set booster box to the holo cards inside. The box might run you around $6000 but the, but a mint charizard maybe wouldn’t even be $200, and it’s way more then any of the other cards.

1 Like

@sacari Ya I know it doesn’t pay to open packs. Even for modern cards. For example with modern i can go buy mint rainbow rares which are 1 in every 2 box’s or so and the most expensive is a $200 charizard with some as low as $5. Makes no sense. Who made these prices? They need to go back to school to do some proper math and pricing haha. Works for me as a buyer but they are selling themselves short big time on pricing

Boxes aren’t based on raw card value. It’s based on the PSA 10 potential of a box and or the boxes biggest hitters. $60k for 1st edition base set because Charizard is $40-60k. Ex deoxys has 3 gold stars with one that is worth $10k so the boxes are worth $10k+. Obviously other sets have other factors thay affect the price. Some of those have already been mentioned.

2 Likes

I’ve thought the same thing, pops are low and boxes are very expensive. I grew up with these sets so I’ve been buying 10s when they’re available. I normally don’t buy PSA cards but the card prices will have to fall in line with the box prices eventually. Especially when no one is opening a $4000 box of ex ruby sapphire just to get 2-3 ex cards to grade

2 Likes

@hisoka107 The box prices are justified the cards themselves are not which is my main point. Especially with low print run sets 20 years later. It’s just mind blowing. Like how do people come up with a price for a brand new card. (For example if they release a brand new set today and there is a gold charizard as best pull with a pull rate of 1 per 3 boxes what do they put it on eBay for a penny auction and just go off whatever first few sell for?

@hisoka107, He only seemed to be talking about raw cards so I wasn’t taking graded cards into account. And even then I think opening vintage boxes hoping for a PSA 10 chase card is becoming a thing of the past. But yes I understand all that. I was mostly just trying to explain that high box price doesn’t equal high price for raw ultra rares.

1 Like

Lol the amount of raw modern cards is staggering. Rainbow rares raw and graded have only been dropping in price and I expect that trend to continue.

@sacari If rainbow rares are dropping that sucks because i have all the sun and moon ones but at the same time I have no intention of selling but I was just using them as a example. But if anybody knows how prices are originally made that would really peak my interest. I’m thinking I might be right about people just throw them on a penny auction for first few sales and go off that price. Than it goes up and down from there

Hype x gullibility + (income ÷ forsieght) = Black label charizard $10,000

3 Likes

@sacari Ya I know all about the black label shiny charizard haha but I’m not someone interested in selling. All my questions are to make conversation and out of my curiosity. I know new sets are highly over printed I have a good understanding that Aquapolis Skyridge ex era. Diamond and pearl era are low prints runs. I’m very engaged in the hobby I just buy what I like. And yes Wotc sets are my favorite but I like to see all the different artworks from all the sets even modern. There is way to many cards to go for all the Commons and everything too but i might eventually. But basically all I’m doing is getting the Holo’s from wotc which I finished. Than all ex cards. Than level X’s primes etc all the way till I get sword and shield cards. I just pick what I like most from a set. I like the gold stars too but I might go back for those later. I spent a lot on wotc and I’m enjoying some cheap ones to build my collection now

Ex cards didn’t come in 1st ed and were a worldwide release so the supply shouldnt be under estimated.

1 Like

Ex card prices have risen immensely over the last 2 years and will continue to do so… pops are very low for these and demand is increasing massively as people who grew up with them are able to afford them over time. That theme has already played out for majority of wotc but not yet ex onwards. It is true that the demand at the time was much lower for EX but so was supply…

3 Likes

Neo series still haven’t seen a breakout compared to other sets IMO, given the low pop 10s.

4 Likes

@powolski Very true so many cheap cards in those sets with the exceptions of Lugia. Ho-OH and Typhlosion #17 and a few others and obviously Shinings. It’s funny a sealed pack cost $100-$200 plus but you can just buy the holo for dirt cheap

ex ruby & sapphire to ex dragon had more ex cards per box, 5-6 or something iirc

they started to be seeded 3 per box starting with ex team magma and team aqua, the prices reflect this usually

2 Likes

@caslon Thanks for the info I’m still trying to figure out the ins and outs of this era. Are all the secret rares box toppers? I seen a Charmander one during PokeRev’s Hidden Legends opening