Price of PSA Graded Ex Series Cards

Hey guys, just wrote up something but lost connection so unfortunately I will have to rewrite it.

So today I want to discuss the price of the ex’s from the ex series! About a year ago I started picking up old school ex’s for my binder collection and noticed that finding good conditioned ex’s was very hard. I also noticed that the PSA cards were relatively cheap for lower grades. Because of that I decided to start picking them up.

Now fast forward to today and the prices on these cards have gone up significantly. These new prices have gotten me to consider selling them to pick up other high value cards in their place. Due to the circumstances I have found myself looking more at the pop report and pokemonprice says that the cards listed above mostly have less than 50 graded examples in PSA 9 condition, aside from the Ho-Oh with about double that. My question is will this increase in price bring out more copies of these cards? Will there even be a supply for these to come from? Please let me know what you all think!

3 Likes

I believe pop will increase for the 9s substantially. 10s somewhat less so (from an absolute perspective). These will probably have some correction in price (but so will most graded cards imo).

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I would imagine that the pop will increase, but I wonder just how much. With a lot of boxes being extremely expensive, and mint copies hard to find I can’t imagine that the pop will increase that dramatically.

The million dollar question i guess is how many of these cards are in people’s collection that are in grade able condition

1 Like

Also, hindsight is 20/20 but I think I should have posted this in the new price discussion thread! Please let me know if I should move this over to there

1 Like

@cooltrainertony (Kenny Rogers song plays in the background) “You have to know when to hold em. Know when to fold em” haha. Hold them Tony! I’ve noticed horrible quality when buying ungraded ex cards. Near mints aren’t gradable most of the time. Usually more like light played being sold as near mint for that era unless I’m just unlucky. Plus ex era has low print runs going for it! They might not be popular now but there’s only so many Wotc sets to collect. Why wouldn’t more people eventually start to collect them? I’m guessing people will come around on them. What’s not popular now is tomorrow’s next hot thing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like you, I bought a ton of PSA 9 exs over the past year-ish. I bought them with the intent to crack them, though. The remaining ~40-50 that I hadn’t yet cracked I sold off on eBay over the past month and a half. I now only have 2 left. I think exs were (and still are, in many cases) underpriced, but the prices are so high right now that I’d recommend selling. I can’t imagine them going higher for a while. They probably will eventually go up, but the prices right now are (I would guess) the peak prices you’ll see for at least the next 1-2 years. So if there are other cards you would rather have, I think now is decent time to sell.

On the other side of the coin, though, it might be pretty hard to re-acquire some of them. So if you anticipate eventually wanting them again, then maybe hold on to them. There are some that are also (because of the differential pull rates/print runs of the EX-series sets) underpriced still, IMO. The ones you attached photos of are not those ones, so if I had those right now I’d personally sell them.

3 Likes

Good points! Yeah if i sold these i would probably get replacements for them in nm or lp as well, but the pop report is swaying me more towards keeping them

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! It would be hard to let these go, but i really dont want to miss the opportunity to own some more gem mint wotc cards as well.

There isn’t a ton of supply for even ungraded either. That’s my realm and I’ve searched all of them lately. The last few I need only have the world’s promo versions or destroyed copies listed. If you want the cards but get some cash for other cards maybe buy light played before selling those. I don’t see many mint ones at all. I’m curious what prices those ones you posted even go for now. Most of the ones ive seen listed have been like PSa 8’s for $50 range. Which is way too cheap. I’m sure the 9’s are higher but by how much?

1 Like

That is the million dollar question! Someone has a steelix psa 9 listed for 300 but thats absurd imo

1 Like

We’re already starting to see the EX-series become more ‘hot.’ It’s not just the prices of exs: a lot of holos and reverse holos are more now, too. An example off the top of my head is Sandstorm regular holo rares. The supply is very low because the pull rate was the same as exs and there are 14 of them…so a given one is literally twice as rare as a given ex from that set (since there were 7 exs). So, for example, Dusclops/Zangoose/Shiftry were in the $4-5 range 6-7 months ago and now are 2-3x that. Of course, there is less interest in the regular holos than the exs, which is why the prices are much lower despite being more rare. Still, the increase in prices seems to indicate increased interest in the era. If interest in the era increases even further (which it still very well could given that it’s still dramatically less popular than WotC), the prices could get very silly very quickly, because the supply for holos from the first three sets just isn’t there. I don’t think the ex-era is ever going to have the same stature as WotC, but there’s a lot more room for interest in it to grow. Just a few people collecting complete sets can put a huge strain on the supply since it’s just so much lower than almost every non-e-Reader WotC set.

1 Like

That’s dumb lol. I sold mine for I believe $60 in April? You can probably still find it on eBay sold, it’s the one with an 2xxxx cert number. I highly doubt it’s worth more than $100, even now, but who knows at this point.

EDIT: just double-checked – it actually had a 1xxx cert and I sold it for $56.45.

1 Like

I’m having so much trouble finding a decent Steelix I might offer someone $30 for a light played one. Normally it’s like a $15 card but I just missed the ones listed a few weeks ago. I’m also worried about buying it blind off troll and toad or one of those sites because I don’t want to be sent a worlds promo version by accident @zorloth Edit; That’s so cheap for a 9 and not long ago

1 Like

People wont even bother to differentiate between WoTC and early Nintendo sets in 10 years time. People said the same thing about “late wotc” 5 years ago… “e series will never be the same as early wotc” etc. Will be proven wrong with time IMO :blush:

And lets be honest, gold stars are among the best thing in this hobby and aren’t wotc. This WoTC only mentality is slowly dying and will continue to in my view.

8 Likes

@randox Good point. I originally didn’t like the boarder but once I paid attention to the actual card E series is actually some of my favorites. That and Neo era. Amazing art. But definitely a tough decision Tony. I do understand there’s a ton of other real nice Wotc cards you could buy instead but I don’t see these ex’s being easily replaceable. If we take the money out of the equation whatever you like more and makes you happy is ultimately the correct answer.

3 Likes

Lol yeah, didn’t seem cheap because I bought it for like $35 I think? but now it’s definitely more than $56. I need one, too, and I’m looking to pay ~$80 for a raw PSA 7/8 quality one. $30 for an LP one is probably a decent deal, depending on how it looks. There are no non-graded ones for sale BiN anywhere that I can see, so I’d grab whatever price you can get lol.

2 Likes

Very interesting point. I wasn’t actively collecting 5 years ago, but if that’s what people were saying then that’s pretty hilarious with the benefit of hindsight. I think you might be right, but I do still hear people say that they “only collect WotC.” If they have any desire to collect after they’re done with WotC, though, EX-era is the only real next step.

I personally have much more nostalgia for the late WotC e-series and EX-era than for pre-e-Series WotC, so I’m undoubtedly biased, but I also do genuinely think that WotC e-Series and EX-era art is vastly superior to most pre-e-Series WotC art. Again, could be a function of my bias, but I vastly prefer the cards. I definitely agree re: gold stars. They definitely have a higher stature than most of the Unlimited WotC secret rares at this point, or at least pre-Power Keepers ones.

3 Likes

Ya that’s what I mean. The supply simply isn’t really available. I ran into the same problem with Unseen forces Tyranitar. Someone sent a busted copy as light played and now I can’t find a replacement for a decent price. I do believe the graded cards 7 or better would definitely be worth holding. Or even better added to personal collections :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, any post-Dragon ex is almost impossible to find raw NM for a reasonable price at this point, with the exception of Power Keepers ones. I’ve paid some pretty inordinate prices for NM raw exs via auction/BiN over the past several days because they are just so tough to find. I’m working actively on TRR right now and set is brutal to complete, in terms of both the lack of availability for the cards and price point. And I’ve barely even started on gold stars, which are going to be even worse, ugh.

3 Likes

@zorloth I didn’t even want to mention team rocket returns because I still need them. I’m debating skipping them but that snorlax for example is just a card I really want! I wonder what the psa 9’s and 10’s of those go for. And Tony do you know about how much each one of the ex’s you posted go for out of curiosity? You happened to pick some real good ones to buy :slight_smile: who doesn’t like starters and Ho-OH

1 Like