Price of PSA Graded Ex Series Cards

I believe a Snorlax sold recently in psa 10 for close to $1000. Ungraded copies are going for $150-200+.

Im looking at auctions at the moment and modern PSA 10 cards are going up in price. People just seen desperate to buy up whatever cards they can get. I’m not touching many PSA 10 ex’s atm because I feel like cards will drop in price.

2 Likes

Yeah sure! The typhlosion last sold for 165 exactly a month ago. The ho oh last sold for 134 on pwcc. The meganium sold a couple days ago for 110. The last steelix to sell was zorloth’s which was 56. Lastly, the feraligatr sold for 115 with best offer accepted! Those are all PSA 9

Im not sure exactly what theyre going for because they dont sell too often!

The reason why i went after ex unseen forces was because I love the gen 2 starters and the ex series.

2 Likes

Honestly the holo prices have been pathetic and I’m glad the era is seeing an increase in attention. I think this boom has been a catalyst for this era in particular because it always had the rarity but never had the demand. The low print run supply can’t sustain the demand of this current somewhat crazed market so prices are going to do what they do in that situation.

4 Likes

@cooltrainertony Those prices are so cheap. The total is a decent amount but per card a hundred something for a low print 9 sounds like a steal all day

1 Like

Base, Jungle, and Fossil will be pretty hard to not differentiate from an ex sandstorm or tmta. Base dominated pop culture. Ex was a low point. There is room for many of the ex sets to have major growth but I wouldn’t go that far.

2 Likes

I think Randox was more referring to WotC e-Series vs. EX-era. Because, right now, Expedition/Aquapolis/Skyridge is way more expensive/desirable than most EX-series stuff (i.e., there are tons of EX-series holo rares that are $1 or less, whereas the cheapest WotC e-Series holo rares are 10x that). But WotC e-Series era was also a low point for the hobby, to a similar extent as early EX-era. So the only real thing that differentiates the two eras (as far as peoples’ perceptions are concerned) is that one is WotC and one is Nintendo. I think Randox could be right that that perception could fade over time. But obviously EX Ruby & Sapphire is never going to be Base Unlimited because, as you said, early WotC-era Pokemon cards were a worldwide phenomenon.

3 Likes

@zorloth I agree but also disagree with comparing any of the ex sets compared to base unlimited. Yes base unlimited will probably always be more desirable and worth more. But at the same time unlimited had a HUGE print run. So if people start factoring print runs into price ex sets could be worth more over time vs base set unlimited. I mean I doubt it myself I do believe base being the original is what everyone wants will stay higher priced then ex sets but you never know. It definitely could happen. Not saying it will

I meant the EX-era vs Base Unlimited as far as the perception of people is concerned. Base Unlimited has a degree of ubiquity, dominance, and presence that nothing from the EX-era will touch. As far as prices are concerned, most EX-era sets are already way more expensive than Base Unlimited. And I think that EX-era cards have the potential to significantly outpace the future growth of Base Unlimited because small increases in demand could mean huge price increases because of the lack of supply. Base Unlimited is easy as dirt to find. Base Unlimited boxes were $100 a piece for over a decade after its release because so damn much was printed. Only recently has Base Unlimited sealedd product really exploded in price, and still a box of it is worth like half as much as a box of EX Deoxys.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t think ex will reach base levels in popularity - rather they will no longer be neglected or pushed aside like e - series once was.

2 Likes

I’ve been picking up old school ex holos in PSA 9 for a couple years now when I see them going cheap. There were the obvious ones that were worth something but for the most part I was picking them up typically around $20 each. From a selling perspective, after grading and fees you are left with around $5-10 profit assuming the card was free. PSA 10 copies were not particularly valuable either. There was little to no incentive to grade many of these exs because of this.
Fast-forward to today. Prices have hit a point where people will be inspired to pull out these cards that have been just sitting in boxes or binders and begin grading them, even if they are likely not to get the 10. These are mass-produced items, I guarantee more than 50 mint copies still exist today.
It’s impossible to predict the future. But if you ask me, this class of cards that was sold at giveaway prices that has suddenly become something to pay attention to, it’s the perfect recipe for a sudden growth in supply and subsequently a drop in price if the demand doesn’t scale with it. Again though, I could be dead wrong. Entire philosophies about PSA 9s in general have been rewritten since the start of the year.

6 Likes

Thats a great way to look at it. If i had to make a decision about selling I would say that I would be more upset to sell now and have them be irreplaceable then to wait it out and have the price drop.

1 Like

PSA 10 copies have been valuable for over 2 years. Maybe not enough to force some to grade, but the incentive has been there. I don’t see the 10 pop increasing much (and most sets are not easy to grade either - as indicated by the Pop ratios). I agree on the 9s.

3 Likes

i think the truth is somewhere in-between. you’ll get some pop increase with increased awareness and some demand increase as well with new appreciation. i, for one, am a new convert. i kind of didn’t care about the ex cards, but now i think they are pretty gorgeous. ex probably won’t go up 10x in prices, but will go up at a healthy clip. looking at booster box prices of this era, you know they are hella rare and people do appreciate them. i would lean on being bullish on the exes.

4 Likes

I mentioned this on a buy thread, but it’s interesting when you take a look at the prices of complete ultra rare/secret rares in psa 10 compared to the price of boxes. A complete PSA 10 1st ed base set costs $110k+ and the price of a booster box is around the same cost if not more. If you look at the cost of all PSA 10 exs from unseen forces, plus the 5 secret rares the cost is above $10,000 and the boxes are around $5000. This doesn’t take into account the value of the holos, reverse holos and unowns. The pull rates are different for the ex series so that accounts for the price differences. Ex series usually have a great PSA 10 rate when they are fresh pull, but because they have such a large amount of holo they get scratched and damaged more than loose WOTC cards I’ve found.

I definitely agree that there will be increase of cards being graded now that people see more than WOTC cards are valuable. the prices right seem out of control. There are/were multiple collectors who are on the cusp of completing their sets. Along with others having FOMO that they’ll never come across the chance to get these cards before they explode even more in price. I’m not sure any one card is worth more than the box, but if that’s the case does that mean ex series boxes are undervalued? or does the fact that gold stars are 1/4 or 1/6 for the high end card mean they aren’t like Base set.

2 Likes

Copying my reply to you from another thread on this. This is why and it makes a lot of sense…

That makes sense because there is only 3 ex per box. To get all the ex from unseen forces in a 10 you probably need to open 10 boxes lol. Compared to base set, maybe 4-5 boxes (depending on how lucky you are with grading). Pull rates are very important and that is why you see that. Gold stars are every 0.5 boxes and have bad grading ratios. There is 18 different ex cards in unseen forces and 3 gold stars… very hard set to complete in PSA 10 and miles harder than any wotc set in 10 apart from neo 1st 10 sets. The market is more efficient than you think :blush:

On this note, a slowking neo gen PSA 10 1st is worth half or more of its box alone. If you see low pop 10s with low pull rates, you have to take than into account. What is the expected pulls and grades from a box? They aren’t all the same and basically completing a PSA 10 ex set is extremely hard… especially compared to base or the first 5 or so wotc sets.

1 Like

@randox That’s the main problem you mentioned. Completing a ex set in 10s or even 9s. There is never even 1 of each grade listed online. So the only way to complete it is to buy a few that’s available from the set and keep searching day by day till you finally complete the set. I don’t know if many others think like me but I’m not exactly eager to complete a set or goal if I know it’s next to impossible or will take years upon years. Or at least months. When Tony made this post I thought about just buying them myself haha. I already have the cards he showed in light played condition but wouldn’t mind some graded ones to hold.

2 Likes

This exactly how the prices explode. When the card pops up you need to purchase it at a premium because who knows when it’ll pop up again. Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

@pokehut1 Ya when I want something I’m not trigger shy I buy the second i have the spending money available. It just sucks sometimes I have to wait a few weeks while waiting on new money to come in but it is what it is I do the best I personally can. I’m sure other people have it harder that go for complete 9 or 10 sets. My goals are slightly easier because I include light played to near mint cards

1 Like

I highly doubt the 10 population (or even the 9 population) of most exs is going to increase all that much. There are plenty of exs out there, but the amount of raw ones with PSA 9-10 potential is (in my estimation) pretty small. I bought basically the entire supply of NM exs off of TCGPlayer (not to ‘buyout’ them but to try to salvage PSA 8 quality raw ones for my sets) and I don’t believe I’ve received a single one that would get a PSA 9 let alone a 10. A few 8s maybe, but most are 5-7 range at best. There’s one seller on eBay that I’ve gotten probably ~15 exs from over the past several months and I’ve gotten a few that have 9-10 potential and the rest of them in the 8 range. And his cards are the closest to pack-fresh I’ve been able to find. Besides him, I’ve literally never found a raw ex with 10 potential, and only a handful with 9 potential. And I’ve purchased a lot of them.

As you said, because there previously was so little incentive to grade exs, not that many were graded. But the reality is that most of the ones graded 9-10 were straight from booster packs. Now that’s basically a fantasy. Your average person doesn’t have $5-$15k to spend on a box in hopes of pulling (depending on the set) anywhere from 3-9 exs, of which maybe half will come back 10s. Very, very few people are opening ex boxes these days, and even fewer will be opening them going forward since the cost of acquisition has become so high. Yet this is really the only way to reliably get PSA 9s or 10s on exs. Straight from a pack, most of these aren’t that tough to grade. But these things are fragile as all hell, especially when it comes to getting scratches. There are plenty of raw PSA 8 quality raw ones (not on the market right now, but in existence), but the number of potential 9-10s that haven’t already been graded is pretty damn low, IMO. I would be very surprised if we saw more than a 10-15% increase in the pop numbers of 9s and 10s over the course of the next couple years.

So, given the two main factors I outlined above, that: very few people are now opening EX-era sealed product and very few raw EXs have PSA 9/10 potential, I would not expect the pop numbers to increase that much. Sure, people are more motivated to grade exs. But outside of ones owned by serious collectors, who I imagine would’ve already likely graded 9/10 candidates, I don’t think there are that many raw 9/10 candidates out there still.

4 Likes

@zorloth Ya my last purchase in there I upgraded to near mint and recieved all 5-6 quality with a few shots at 7’s I was definitely pretty mad that I didn’t buy light played like normal. The near mint gamble didn’t pay off this time :joy: and the price difference between light played and near mint is usually about double price. I’ve been learning to just buy light played or graded. Near mint is light played anyways half the time unless it’s modern cards

1 Like