Which is the single worst looking Pokemon?

Filthy Fairies

2 Likes

And Exploud is noise pollution?

2 Likes

A revelation!

Jigglypuff and Marillā€¦ these ugly round balls I just want to kick

Just gen 1-3, I canā€™t pick but one some that stand out are Hitmonchan, Jynx and Blaziken,

Avalugg

1 Like

6 Likes

You donā€™t like being reminded about your car keys when seeing Pokemon.

Itā€™s definitely up with bad Pokemon designs. Do you think more and more of the newer Pokemon generations have crappy designs? This last set had a lot of dumb Pokemon.

2 Likes

The blobā€¦Muk.

2 Likes

I will always think the 1st generation has the best design because it was the original. With that said, I think it is objectively difficult to keep things original when so many designs or ideas already exist. At least if they do things like keys, provide some sort of story/reasoning.

1 Like

Yes! I am not a fan of the animated inanimate objects, which are rife in the newer generations. I feel like itā€™s ā€œnot naturalā€, as my baseline comparison is always the first 150. But then I have to remind myself that ā€œPokemonā€ and ā€œnaturalā€ doesnā€™t really make sense either. So I canā€™t tell if they really do suck, or Iā€™m just stuck in my ways.

@smpratte I agree that backstories can help. I now have a new appreciation for Trubbish thanks to @tonysandlin

But still. Fuck vanilluxe. Likeā€¦why?:thinking: (Jk guysā€¦but seriously).

1 Like

I always find it interesting when people point to Trubbish or Vanilluxe and others as being stupidly designed because the concept is absurd or whatever.

Gen 1 has 2 piles of purple goo(3 with Ditto), 2 Pokeballs, a floating Magnet that turns into 3 of them stuck together, 2 literal Seals, and a pile of eggs.

I totally get that nostalgia plays a huge role and that people often like Gen 1 for its simplicity, but they cant just make the same Pokemon over and over again.

2 Likes

I just wish they wouldnā€™t do the whole urban spin, itā€™s a real immersion breaker for me. :confused:

Pollution mutation with dna
Robots designed to explode
Mewtwos genetic material
Seels with ice capabilities
Eggs with active life in em
And an ultramagnetic experiment

Garbage, Ice creamā€¦

Klefki is one of my favourite Gen 6 Pokemon, but I feel like something really simple could have made it so much more accepted and liked by the Pokemon community.

Instead of Fairy/Steel, it should have been Ghost/Steel. The story that a Ghost has inhabited/possessed a keychain is much more believable within the Pokemon universe than it somehow being a Fairy.

2 Likes

I can totally appreciate that they need to change it up, but I think the original were more based (or seemed imo more based) on the natural world. I think there is still a lot of nature that can be mined for inspiration.

Magnets, goo, seals, and eggs all have some relation to nature. I donā€™t hate on the Pokemon that are thinly veiled or not veiled animal representations as much as I would on the use of inanimate objects. I could imagine a natural development of a ā€œmonsterā€ that resembles an egg squad. But I canā€™t imagine a ā€œmonsterā€ that looks like an Easter Island statue or a vanilla ice cream cone without assuming some use of human magic, rather than the idea of evolving naturally. And I say this while appreciating the whole scope of supernatural/magic Pokemon. But I would argue these variations (especially in the original 150) are still very naturalistic in terms of their lore and the supernatural properties.

I think Ditto is a great example of the creativeness of the first gen in relation to nature and the idea of evolution. Also, I always associated Voltorb/Electrode as a representation of an electron or some type of electric particle.

Thereā€™s so much of nature and what makes up the physical to world to use as inspiration that I donā€™t enjoy the inanimate objects as much. Take a quark or an bioluminescent sea creature as inspirationā€¦but not a vanilla ice cream cone.

5 Likes

I remember seeing the set of keys for the first time when I played Alpha Sapphire. I couldnā€™t believe it. What kind of inanimate objects can they come up with next? A ketchup bottle?

5 Likes

This is simply perfectly said.

1 Like

I remember when I played the game and fought a pair of floating keys, I was like, alright, possessed keys, ghost type, I get it. Then I looked it up on bulbapedia and saw fairyā€¦

3 Likes

As a Magneton collector. I find this very negativeā€¦

But I canā€™t stand the new gen cards. I started collecting them last year and I hate what they have come up with.

Nosepass? Really? Wtf !

2 Likes