Which do you collect more and why?

Saw a post in another about the demographics of E4 in terms what we buy more. Vintage or modern.

I know for myself slabs I only buy vintage and that’s for my personal collection.

Modern I buy for my binder and to kinda relive a feeling of opening packs etc.

So which are you buying more or less of and why? What are you buying.

1 Like

No slabs unless it’s a super key card that’s really important to me, I collect English and Japanese vintage from before 2003.

I occasionally buy and open modern but then usually sell the cards or give them away.

4 Likes

I only collect english Gen 1-3 set cards.

2 Likes

I buy both.

The art on modern cards is just to good not to add to my collection (AA & SAR & JP Promo’s). I buy the raw cards if I think it has a chance on a PSA 10 and then grade it.

For vintage cards I just buy the graded cards (mostly PSA 9). In the current market, graded vintage cards are so cheap it doesn’t make sense to buy them raw and grade it.

I like graded cards because I like to display the cards and to hold it in my hands without the chance of damaging the card. Also a bit increased value created by the grading doesn’t hurt and it makes it so much easier to sell/trade cards.

4 Likes

I have already completed my Base-Team Rocket Master Sets so I don’t touch anything else vintage. Focus is on my Greninja collection, but also pick up Japanese promos and cool cards I like from XY era onwards. Less new things as they come out, only things there I am grabbing is any new Greninja card to grade.

Learned my lesson after years of opening new releases that my luck is terrible, so I just pickup anything that really catches my eye about 3-4 months after release.

2 Likes

I’m hunting down Poliwhirl full arts from 151 and will grade them until I get a 10. What a gem of a card!

On topic, I “collect” both but either 1st edition or alt/ full arts.

2 Likes

Majority of what I collect is Base - Neo Destiny, mostly English but have picked up a lot of the JP versions.

Had a lot of modern cards which I’ve pretty much sold off now as I bought them during the hype and have no real attachment to them.

1 Like

I buy more modern. I really enjoy that most modern UR are sub $10 NM. I only enjoy buying vintage in person and most of the times, stores are overcharging for vintage.

Honestly, whatever I think is the best deal. I’ve snagged some really great deals on PSA 7/8 vintage cards where a similar copy raw isn’t too much less.

1 Like

I collect cards by specific illustrators, so I collect whatever is relevant to those collections regardless of era. I like to flip through my cards, so any potential slab that makes its way to me gets cracked open - though perhaps a CGC Pristine 10 Holiday Calendar 2023 Yuka Morii Snom would be a nice display piece some day. I collect every unique English printing of the relevant cards, plus the original Japanese printings for illustrations that were never printed in English.

Sometimes the cardboard goblin in my brain gets me to buy modern product to open packs, the contents of which are stored in various boxes in my room. We do not speak of the cardboard goblin. Please do not feed her.

5 Likes

Mainly vintage because it’s what I’m nostalgic for and most familiar with, however I will also collect some modern of cards I really like the artwork of. With modern I tend to focus more on the Japanese side, usually on more limited/exclusive release items like Pikachu Promos and similar cards. I also prefer a lot of the Japanese cardstock and holos compared to English.

I honestly don’t collect that many slabs these days in either vintage or modern, usually anything less than a 9 grade will be cracked out as a NM/binder copy instead. With slabs I tend to focus on Mint or better if I’m going to keep it in the slab long-term. Only exception is I have a PSA 5 1st Ed Base Charizard with Arita sig on the slab itself, so I haven’t cracked it out as it’s a ‘strong’ 5 as well (clean holo surface).

2 Likes

most older era stuff i have is from DPP but thats cause its how i collect (Trainer Full Arts and everything around them).

majority modern and small amounts of vintage here and there

1 Like

This is me also. I was about to write something very similar to this.

Pre 03 vintage only, not a big slab guy. Also not really a fan of modern but sets like Celebrations and 151 got me opening some packs though.

2 Likes

I’m buying either raw collections, or slabs.

Only times I buy sealed is to open heavy vintage.

1 Like

I only collect English WoTC vintage. I do buy the occasional Japanese promo if it’s something a bit unique but I only have a handful of Japanese cards. I like oddities. I have never bought a graded card but if I did I would crack it to store in my binders.

The only reason I stick to vintage is because it’s what I grew up with but also it’s a self-imposed restriction. It keeps my collection from getting out of hand and gives me focus.

2 Likes

I will buy more Altaria cards there. Mostly Japanese, but occasionally English. I love that Pokémon so much that I only miss Unlimited cards from it for quite a long time. :sweat_smile:

In other cases also Swablu, Munchlax, Tandemaus and Maushold. They are very favorites of mine, so I collect those the most.

But to stay on topic, more modern, although I’m not sure if the Ruby and Sapphire era also counts as vintage…

2 Likes

Pretty much any vintage: E-series or older. Predominantly English but I’ve been putting Japanese sets together when I can. Slabbing more stuff up when I have duplicates, or if keeping raw, one for the binder and then the others to sell.

1 Like

I feel like EX era and B&W don’t get any love lol

Vintage. WOTC and Japanese (exclusive jp stuff like vending, vhs deck, promos), and the EX era cards that still have the e-reader code like EX Dragon. I have some modern but just by occasion when I like a specific card a lot.

1 Like

Do you mean ex era or the XY era of EX cards?